New to R/C. A couple noob questions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to R/C. A couple noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C. A couple noob questions.

I just recieved my electric RTR Rustler and it didnt take me long to realize I didnt have the right type of battery charger. I have a Team Orion 3300 NiMH pack and apparently the Tower Hobbies charger that I ordered only charges Nickel Cadmium packs. So now I'm looking for a very cheap NiCad/NIMH charger and was wondering if this one :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHJB5&P=0

would suit my needs. The only thing that worries me about this one is that it says DC only. I'm new to R/C and all electronics in general so I'm really not sure what that means. I know the power in a wall outlet is AC so does this mean I cant charge it in my house? Anyway, If this charger wont work for me a suggestion to a low price one would be great!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Please someone help me out. I'd really like to start running my truck.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

First, internet forums are an evolving creature and you won't always get an instantaneous response. Give it a couple more hours without a response before freaking out.

Yes, DC-only (direct current) chargers require a 12-volt power source, like a full size car battery or a constant current power supply. You cannot plug this into a wall and charge your batteries in the house without one of the two. Just starting out, you are best off looking for a charger that is listed as AC/DC. There are a few decent options out there in the entry level range, but you will pay a little more for one with the ability to use both AC current (110v house outlets) and DC current (12v).

Someone else may be better suited to make a recommendation for an entry level charger that I would.

Good luck,

doug
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunatly, there are not alot of cheap ac/dc chargers that will work on NiMh batteries. Buy the best your buget will allow. You will be better off in the long run. Many of us went the cheap route and now have spent more money just upgrading.
That said, DuraTrax makes a few good ac/dc chargers. If you can afford it the Duratrax Ice will charge just about everything you need, even LiPo's when you make that change. However, it is a DC only charger. You will need a power supply for it.
Any cheap charger that does not have an adjustable Delta Peak needs to be monitored so the battery does not overheat. NiMh batteries should never get above about 140.
Goog luck.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your not charging lipo's, I would go with a Duratrax Pirahna.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

[sidebar] ddcarter3, your screen name freaks me out every time I see it. We seem to share last names. [/sidebar]

doug
Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A great one it is. I have had it for 44 years.

David D. Carter III

Seems we share almost the same RC rides also.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies, right now I'm looking at the duratrax line and it looks like I'll buy one from them. Again thanks for helping a newbie.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

take a look at the tekin bc112c. It is ac/dc and can be found for $160 new. This in my mind is a far superior charger to the duratrax you were looking at.

But it is your call, just giving you another option!