R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Hyper 7 Steering Knuckels breaking, why?

I have just got a hyper 7 TQ28 and have only had it 10 days. In this 10 days I have broken 4 steering knuckels, the light weight shiny aloy part. It is breaking where the screw goes in at the bottom. Now the problem is the dog bone drive shaft that drives the fron left wheel is poping out of the socket at the diff when the suspention is down when applying the brakes. When you hit the gas again it pops the steering knuckel over the screw stripping the tread or what t did tonight was crack the aoy corner right off and let the wheel drop.
What could be causing this problem? The car is new, I have replaced the steering knuckels and the black plastic thing the king pins go through to mount the steering knuckel as well, as I have broken one of them in a good stack. When I fitted this I had to adjust the camber of the wheel out to match the original, is this the problem?
TurboCorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Tech Addict

The reason for the bone popping out might be that the diff is not shimmed properly i.e. not centered in the housing or way too far to one side. I guess it is possible that you have the wrong drive shaft in front as well, are the right and left bones the same length? I am not real familiar with the Hyper 7 but Iím thinking it has the pillow ball front end. If so you may have the front track width to wide which would cause this as well. If it is a pillow ball front end screw the lower pillow ball all the way into the front arm and adjust camber from the top pillow ball only and see if this takes care of the problem.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Breaking steering knuckles

First check your throw when you max turn right or left with your radio. Make sure you are not applying pressure to the steering block when they are at their stops. For an aftermarket radio you can reduce the throw using a EPA adjustment. For an AM kit radio you would use a shorter servo horn.

Next check the screw and bushing that attaches it to the hub. Make sure it is screwed all the way in, not hitting the hub, not hitting the the universal and is lock tighted in place. It should move freely when the radio is off.

Limit the suspension travel so the steering knuckle is not being strained on full extension either way.

Don't hit stuff.
Hope this gets you in the right direction.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Sorry Turbo I just checked and it is not a pillow ball front end. So check the bone lengths and try shimming the front diff again.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Guys the reasons you are giving sound like ones that would come with a modified car, this is a brand new RTR this should not happen, I broke a few when hitting things but I have broken one when in a car park and nothng to hit. its the dog bone coming out because the camber of the wheel was adjusted when I replaced the housing the knuckel sits in, they have diferent off sets puttng the bottm of it further out. I just checked it and they have given me one that has a diferent camber adjustment than the stock one so I will be going back to the shop and gving them my piece of mind. They should have know what one I needed, thats where I got it only 10 daqys ago.

Not good enough in my eyes.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

just becuase its a brand new RTR, doens't mean its built properly, you should always check over the entire car before you run it, you will almost always find issues with a brand new RTR, i've never seen one that was perfect,
bobf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I've gone through several of them on my hyper 7 pro the cast alum. ones just arnt that strong. i put on the cnc ones. they are a little pricey but i havent broke one yet after a year of running.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Can you give me details about these, where can I get them. am in Australia so it might have to be a internet place. All details please. I have spent $60 on replacng these and have only had it for 10 days.

As for it not being RTR meaning ready to run why sell them as these then? That is crap if I bought a new car and things started falling off I would be just as un happy. That is just pathetic. Quality control needs to be checked.

Putting out a product that breaks its self is and then cost the customer money is BULL SH!T.................

HoBao take note!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

here they are on tower hobbies
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCWA8&P=7
well worth it in my opinion
the cnc ones from the gs storm buggy will also work
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote