Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SCRAFAN
  • 1 Post By glennhl
  • 2 Post By River19

Buggy 2WD Clay/Dirt Tires

Old 06-17-2024, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buggy 2WD Clay/Dirt Tires

Looking for a good set of front and rear tires to race an indoor compacted dirt/clay short track. Looking at some Jconcepts but open to any suggestions...
Old 06-17-2024, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is it sealed clay? If so, I assume it is a slick game like the sealed clay we race on.

I run JC Smoothie 2s with good results, some other common tires are the Raw Speed Slicks and both are run with the appropriate sauce (we use Baja).

I am sure there will be other suggestions.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by River19
Is it sealed clay? If so, I assume it is a slick game like the sealed clay we race on.

I run JC Smoothie 2s with good results, some other common tires are the Raw Speed Slicks and both are run with the appropriate sauce (we use Baja).

I am sure there will be other suggestions.
Agree on everything you say, except one huge factor……compound, silver? Aqua? See what others run and try those.
River19 likes this.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

People run the J Concepts Smoothie 2's at our clay track, but a good friend told me to run AKA Soft/Med Voids because they work great and last longer.
River19 likes this.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SCRAFAN
Agree on everything you say, except one huge factor……compound, silver? Aqua? See what others run and try those.
I run the silvers for our place. I have some worn down Ellipses in Aqua that I might try at some point, but once the groove has been laid down from practice and the first round of qualifiers I'm still loving the Silvers for my 2wd
Old 06-17-2024, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by glennhl
People run the J Concepts Smoothie 2's at our clay track, but a good friend told me to run AKA Soft/Med Voids because they work great and last longer.
I have a set of Voids mounted up to try out as an alternative. Good to hear you have had solid results.

Added Thought:

While the tires themselves are important, the prep is really the key. Any slick from a notable brand like the ones mentioned will work well, however the proper break-in/scuffing, saucing and then cleaning in between runs literally rinse and repeat is really the key........ we clean the tires prior to sauce with a solution of water and Simple Green (many people do something similar) then wipe that off with a rag, then apply the sauce......let dry, go race......
Tiggertrucks and glennhl like this.

Last edited by River19; 06-18-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replies! I got a good idea now.