Did the Losi Family sell the company?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did the Losi Family sell the company?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Did the Losi Family sell the company?

Did the Losi Family sell their company to Horizon Hobby Distributors?

Where is Gil Losi Sr. these days? Where is Gil Jr. these days?

I have been out of the hobby for many years. When I left Sanyo 2000's were the new battery out there. The B3 and XXX buggies had just been introduced.

Now it is many years later, and Losi hasn't really introduced anything new. All they have is a new new touring car, some small updates to the XXX buggy, and the mini truck kits.

It's seems as if they no longer have any direction. There is no mention of Gil Losi on the website. The old California address is still on the website, along with the address for horizon.

What is going on? They used to be tough competition for Associated, now they are nowhere. Now they are developing a 1/8th scale nitro kit. Why?

The class that has always mattered the most is 1/10th scale mod buggy.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Losi did sell to Horizon. Ae has also been sold to Thunder tiger. Electric offroad died off in favor of Electric touring. Gas offroad has gotten hugely popular. You missed alot.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

4WD electric Offroad is all the rage. And offroad is PWNing onroad!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

It seems like the hobby has changed for the worse. I was heavily involved in radio control from 1985 until 1998, and during that time I raced almost every week, and worked at hobby shops and tracks.

I never thought I would see the day when 1/10th scale electric buggies were no longer the top class. I have always thought this class required the most skill.

I used to race 12th scale during the winters, and I even raced touring cars. The problem with on road has always been that it has always been more of a motor and battery war.

All the great battles were fought in mod buggy. The battles between Masami Hirosaka, Brian Kinwald, Matt Francis, Mark Pavidis, and Jukka Steenari.
Masami is still around. Where is everyone else?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Don't worry things are changing back to off road...
Lots of guys are sick of the Battery wars and there is little to no new TC racers..
I help out at my LHS and there are tons of sales in off road...All classes...
Mostly though..
nitro off road...
Monster trucks,
Truggies,
Buggies,
2wd Stadium trucks...Seems to be the bigger classes now adays...
Seems guys are liking the long run times and the fun....
THings are going back to once they came...
Doing this hobby for the FUN of it, not for the compitition, but that is still there too...

But where I race 2wd buggy is starting to pick back up...
But 8th scale buggy and truggy are the biggest off road classes out now...

Maybe its time you grad a AD2 and give nitro a try...
-Shookie <><
Old 04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, i agree, offroad is starting to gain momentum again. Touring cars are getting to a point where theirs 20 different car producers, and all the cars are starting to blurr together and seem to share the same features.

1/8th scale buggy is probably the biggest class now. I made the transition to gas a year ago. I used to race 1/10th scale 4 wheel drive, but it died out, so I took a gamble and bought a 1/8th scale buggy. Basically, it has all the 4wheel traction that I loved about 1/10 electric, but these things are so beefed up and fast that their pretty damn bullet proof.

I also have a 1/10 th scale gas truck and a XXXbk2, and at our last weekend race we had a full field in pretty much every offroad class except for 4 wheel drive electric.

so Move to Omaha Nebraska, and you won't be dissapointed anymore!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Losi did sell to Horizon. Ae has also been sold to Thunder tiger. Electric offroad died off in favor of Electric touring. Gas offroad has gotten hugely popular. You missed alot.

WTF are you talking about??????????????? Touring cars has been squashed by offroad!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Sick off onroad

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Don't worry things are changing back to off road...
Lots of guys are sick of the Battery wars and there is little to no new TC racers..
I help out at my LHS and there are tons of sales in off road...All classes...
Mostly though..
nitro off road...
Monster trucks,
Truggies,
Buggies,
2wd Stadium trucks...Seems to be the bigger classes now adays...
Seems guys are liking the long run times and the fun....
THings are going back to once they came...
Doing this hobby for the FUN of it, not for the compitition, but that is still there too...

But where I race 2wd buggy is starting to pick back up...
But 8th scale buggy and truggy are the biggest off road classes out now...

Maybe its time you grad a AD2 and give nitro a try...
-Shookie <><

Mr. Shookie is 100% correct. I'm an on-road guy switching to off-road. Back in the late 80's I use to race off road. When I decided to get back into the hobby last year I went full bore into the on-road scene. IMO it was a waste of time. It started turning into a second job and not a hobby with all of the set ups, tweeking, battery wars,Tire sauce wars, chassis wars, ect. ect..... I am running 2wd mod truck and love it. And the money saved on the truck compared to touring car is well worth it.Touring car is a money pit. Hmmm so lets see Less of a money pit, Less stress, Better people (off-road), and way more fun.

I think the Losi's were @ the SnowBirds this year

Off Road is coming back Bro...........

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 04-30-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah but everybody is switching to nitro off-road, So get ready for half the field flaming out to make for boring races, racers bumming around for a pit guy, corner marshalling long mains, etc.....

Losi sold to Horizon, but losi still controls the company, Losi just wants to make great car kits, not deal with the marketing and the other boring parts of business. Gil Jr is still there, I've seen his name in a few race results too.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

sorry , but you dont get to sell your company to one of the largest hobby companys on the planet , and still get to control it , it would be nice to get your cake (money) and eat it to (control) but not the way it works , sorry , ray
Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Companies of all types do it every day. That's not an unusual occurance.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bsmith
All the great battles were fought in mod buggy. The battles between Masami Hirosaka, Brian Kinwald, Matt Francis, Mark Pavidis, and Jukka Steenari.
Masami is still around. Where is everyone else?
Masami - still racing, still Yokomo/AE
BK - Not sure, I would like to know though.
MF - retired a short while ago, might only be running on-road now
Mark Pavidis - Still running off-road now for Kyosho
Jukka - He might have finished 10th off-road now, but he was a large part of the design team for the Losi 8th car (he works for Losi now)
Old 04-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking offroad

i personally think that there hasnt been enough options in cars with offroad over the past few years.i race a b4,but i mean, what else are you going to race.losi and ae are pretty much the only 2wd buggies worth racing.schumacher has died off and kyosho are still working on a buggy.

id like tamiya to direct some of there engineering towards offroad electric instead of just the toring cars.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dallasv8
what else are you going to race.losi and ae are pretty much the only 2wd buggies worth racing.

X FACTORY X-6
Old 04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly I hate to admit it...but nitro is takin over EVERYTHING. I love the non-battery/motor war ways of electric off-road. So much cleaner and easier to maintain. But 1/8th gas is on a tear and the buggies are taking over tracks nationwide. I cant complain though, they are fast, fun, and its competitive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.