R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

jbrow1, i agree with you on that. i'm the same way. although i did run a picco .12 last year in mu gt and loved it, but it didn't last very long. about 2-1-2 gallons before it starteed having idle bugs. then it would only stay ideling if it was at 200 deg or a hair above. the mt .12 is my fav.

i know this is a new gt thread but can anyone tell me why i keep reading that the pro drivers tune their motors to have no bottom end?
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #122
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenb46
i know this is a new gt thread but can anyone tell me why i keep reading that the pro drivers tune their motors to have no bottom end?
It comes down to the power to weight ratio and traction because it is only a 2wd vehicle. If there is any kind of traction and you run a high HP motor, you will never be able to keep the front wheels on the ground if you have maximum bottom end power. This makes for a very hard to drive truck in tighter sections due to the front wheels being off the ground. If the traction is low, it makes it almost impossible if you can only give it a fraction of throttle to keep from doing donuts(doesn't matter on set up if both rear wheels are ballooning from spinning). You can ask most top racers if a CV(1/2 hp motor) is a great motor to race with, most will say YES, only thing it lacks is the top end speed.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #123
Tech Master

yah that is a very good motor, and is the motor of choice with people that i race with but everyone says the same thing, they donn't last very long. the track i race on in the winter is small and tight, perfect for the cv just no longevity. but you can't beat it for the price, but again goes away fast. will another os sleeve fit maybe from a tr or cvr.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #124
Tech Regular

Quote:
yah that is a very good motor, and is the motor of choice with people that i race with but everyone says the same thing, they donn't last very long. the track i race on in the winter is small and tight, perfect for the cv just no longevity. but you can't beat it for the price, but again goes away fast. will another os sleeve fit maybe from a tr or cvr.
I don't know of any other sleeve that will fit other than the Duratrax one(which did not last very long). I managed to get over 4 gallons through my CV's when I ran them. I loved using the CV-R head on them and run them at a 220-240 temp range. Once I was able to push the Piston through the sleeve completely, they continued to run for an additional gallon. They were the only motors I had ever had that did that. If OS would just make it an ABC piston sleeve combo with zero other changes, they would have probably the most used gas truck motor on the market(even if the price was raised to $90, since the CV-R runs about $110).
Old 09-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #125
Tech Master

what did the cvr head do for the cv
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Probably just helped cool it down some as the stock head doesn't do such a great job. I always run a odonell or duratrax stage II head on mine. I have a cv in my gt right now while the nova is torn down. Nicest thing about the cv is you can get a new piston sleeve for 20 bux and the carbs are one of the most reliable ones you can get.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #127
Tech Master

how much fuel are you getting through it before you have to resleave it. i thought i was doing some thing wrong but everyone seems to have short life with theirs also.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #128
Tech Regular

I think the biggest key to getting any life out of a CV is to NOT break them in. I only do maybe 1/2 a tank then lean it out to race temp.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #129
Tech Master

WOW are u serious, wonn't that kill the piston
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
WOW are u serious, wonn't that kill the piston
The cv sleeve is made of a different material than most engines anymore, so breaking it in is just wasting some of it's lifespan. It's nickel plated I think and most now are chrome plated.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #131
Tech Regular

With most engines, they use a Chrome plated sleeve, where like jbrow1 stated. it uses a nickel plated sleeve(one step short of chroming), so needing to break them in is not needed. If you do it will just wear out some of the life of the CV. On any other engine I do break them in with heat cycling. But when I got over 4 gallons through each of the two CVs I have owned, I just did not question breaking them in with that kind of life out of a $75 motor.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #132
Tech Master

dang 4 gallons that rocks for a cv. well i have decided on the novarossi cx12. any thoughts on this are welcome
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #133
Tech Regular

Just do not be affraid of spending money on replacement air filters(that is the key to making an engine last a long time, well that and a good break-in). You should like the way that motor runs.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #134
Tech Master

any tips on that breakin, i've been running 21 and 28s here latley i'm sure that they don.t break in ther same. for a .12 i would idle 5 tanks through it then start to slowley bring it up. does that still sound like a safe procedure, or has a new and better way emerged
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #135
Tech Regular

That sounds about right. just make sure to not run it too long at temps under 160 or above 220 during break-in. I would try to maintain a temp of approx 200 F or 94 C during the break-in.