R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

th gt is cheap to replace parts, the ad2 on the other hand can be costly - you can drop $30 on a set of arms (f&r), $30 on rear hubs if you have a ballstud break off in the hub, $14 on a rear shock tower if another ballstud breaks off inside of it, $15 on a rear pivot and hinge pins.

there is $90 that I went through in 1 day of racing.

Granted, this is the nature of db's hard clay surface and the fact that it was only 45+ degrees inside.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #17
Tech Adept

JBROW,the main on sunday was a blast, i am hoping to get out to phesant run but it may not happen due to rcpro races and family. i have my whole summer planned for every weekend. it sucks when you have to work on sat. i am starting to figure out this gas truck racing. hopefully this summer will be better. i am attempting to race the mich rc pro series.
i am building a jammin buggy right now so we will see how it races. hopefully the learning curve will be better than the truck. the truggies look fun but i wanted to race buggy, i will never be able to race monster truck cause of all the greif i give rusty about his cowboy limo (revo 3.3).
DAVE BERNATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Here's the way I look at it, Gas truck (or 2wd anything really) will become to offroad as 1/10th pan car is to on-road. In on-road all the hard to drive 2wd cars went away and the easy to drive more expensive 4wd touring cars took over. The same thing will probably happen in offroad, although there will still be a bit of 1/10th stuff it will just be a side show to the real event, 1/8th. Sure 1/8th is easy to drive, but its not like its super easy to drive well, or really fast. They lay down the fastest laps and never break, how can you lose really? If 2wd, or 1/10th ever wants to make a comeback from this downhill plunge its going to need to get really tough, more than 1/8th scale tough. Some of these manufacturers need to start thinking about race finishing performance, not just ultra light weight.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

its easy, dont crash and you wont break. for all the years of running offroad, the only car i break parts on, is my 4wheel. dont crash and you wont break. i am not the best of the best but i have no problems making the "A". i also crash on many many times, i wear out parts, but i dont really break parts. for the newbies, its the old philosophy and that no one likes to follow. go slow and dont crash, be consistent and you'll finish a race.. seems like everyone getting into this hobby wants to just punch it... if people learned throttle control, they would learn to drive. learn to drive, you break a lot less!!

i hear these things about this track or that track or this type of dirt or that type of dirt. its all the same, dont crash, layoff the trigger and you wont hit that tube, board, wall, whatever....
vic0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic0280
its easy, dont crash and you wont break.
Tell that to a first time racer, that'll get them really amped to race!! Thats why they love 1/8th scale, drive the crap out of the car and it just asks for more.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Tech Adept

The reason people think 1/10th Gas Truck is good as is and a good class is because they are electric racers. Ask a guy who starts with any of the 4wd gas classes how they came in and what classes they like.

Looks even 4wd Electric is making a huge comeback...why its fast and controllable because of extra traction.

If a newb starts with a Revo and taps a tube good, it'll usually bounce off. Try that with a gas truck...snapping something. To get new racers in we need stronger trucks or classes. Sadly with the ideals in Gas Truck its about weight not durability. Remove weight its better...yet the engine still over powers it...hmmm weight from better designed stronger parts would help the power/weight ratio as well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Honestly, I really don't think there's any way to save the gas truck class. If you make the trucks tougher and heavier, they won't be any faster than the ones currently on the market and the kits won't sell, regardless of how much more durable they are. If you make them 4wd, then they will get over-powered and cost more than they do, basically becoming another 1/8th scale or UMT class.

Perhaps the best thing we could do, would be to limit the gas truck class to less power, perhaps .10 engines or something like that. But that's another engine the companies have to make, it's more confusing for the racer, and the weekend warrior will want to go back to having more power. It's a no-win situation.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
If you make them 4wd, then they will get over-powered and cost more than they do, basically becoming another 1/8th scale or UMT class.
Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium 10 is $320 RTR. The RC10GT Plus RTR is $294. The Losi XXX-NT RTR 2 is $349. Looks like LOSI is the problem with pricing, higher than a 4wd truck version.

How can you over power a 4wd 1/10th Gas Truck? Keep the same engine rules now you have a heavier truck with better traction, therefore it won't be powered anymore. If anything on an equally competitve 2wd and 4wd version the same engine the engine would be much more powerful and out of control in a 2wd version.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

I think it would be awesome to see some 1/10 4WD gas buggies and truggies. And the .12 to .15 engines should power them easily. There are times when I wished my RC10GT had traction like a 4wd buggy.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #25
Tech Addict

THEY WOULD BE BORING IF THEY WERE 4WHEEL DRIVE.

OH WELL THIS ARGUEMENT GOES ON AND ON AND ON. BOTTOM LINE, I AM DIEHARD ELECTRIC GUY THAT LOVES THE CHALLENGE.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #26
Tech Elite

binaryterror - The Hot Bodies truck is not on the level of the AD2 or the GT in terms of good materials or even proper suspension geometry. If a purpose-built 4wd gas truck was built, it would cost more than the current 2wd trucks, especially as we start to discover that they can handle the fastest .12's, or even .15's and .18's on the market. Then you're looking at a mega-dollar small-scale UMT class.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

I like my 2wd MF2 and GT also. They are very fun and challenging. I just think 4wd versions would be a fun vehicle also. Adding 4Wd buggies to the electric world did not kill off electric stadium trucks and 2wd buggies. An electric 1/8 scale buggy would be awesome too.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Totally agree with you Aaron.

Can we get quick-change axles too?

I'd love to find a way to burn up 8 M3 Holeshots in one main. Lol.

If 1/10 was 4 wheel, it would remain inexpensive for maybe one season. After that you would have to have a center diff equpped truck. You wouldn't be able to compete without it. Once there's a center diff, you'll actually be able to lay down some power. That's when people start running Rody V12's, etc... With that kind of power, you break more. Say hello to expensive billet knuckles, chassis braces, shock towers, etc...

Newbie's, particularly kids, need something that's easier to build and maintain properly, more than they need something easy to drive. They also need something they can at least afford to practice with.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

GS Racing has a 4WD Stadium truck called the ST-1. Looks pretty cool. I doubt it is up to the standards of Associated or Losi's trucks but looks cool. 4WD seems to be a natural step in the evolution of the stadium truck. And you can always bet there will be lower cost RTR's available for the beginners along with the more expensive high end kits. Or maybe even ARR's so we can chose our own electronic parts and engines but keep the convenience of prebuilts. I know Sportwerks sells there high end 1/8 scale buggies like this. I hope other manufacturers take notice.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
Tech Addict

but if you dont build it, wont it take that much longer to learn how to replace or repair parts. again, maybe i am just old school. i have just as much fun building as i do racing.