R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 AM   #226
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hey Guys,

finished building the GT2. Only 3 kits in Australia at the moment..
I want to say that this kit is awesome. Havent had any problems. Havent stripped any bolts or hex's. But we are using Hudy tools....good quality.

only problem is hinge pins, we fixed that easily with washer on the bolts. Cant even see hinge pin now. Well done AE.

Anyhow...i am curious. I have a friend whom has a GT and now a GT2. He is using both original pipes included with both kits. He said the GT pipe is a RPM pipe and i know for a fact that the smoothy pipe is identical but its slightly longer? He said he put the GT2 pipe to the GT pipe and the GT2 pipe is slightly longer. This means the blue pipe included with GT2 kits is the smoothy right?

Thanks
JK
Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

UPDATE!

Associated RC10 GT2 1/10th Off-Road screw kits are now in stock!

Associated RC10 GT2 1/10th Off-Road 189-piece high grade 8 alloy steel socket head screw kit. Kit includes all applicable cap, flat and button head screws, as well as nuts, washers, and set screws.

Thanks and best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #228
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Most "gas truck" motors on the market use the rotary carb and std. threaded crank....a lot because of the GT. All you need to get is the #2312 threaded crank clutch nut and those engines will fit into a GT2.

AE wanted to try and help the process of standardizing all .12s to the SG shaft (no crank cutting needed), but engine manufacturers are still offering the threaded crank.
I like that idea even though it was confusing at first. Everywhere I went, looking for an engine, had the rotary carb and threaded crank setup when I was trying to find a pilot shaft and rotary carb setup. Well anyway, I just dremeled the engine brace and the slide works great.
Attached Thumbnails
New GT??-rc10gt2throttlelinkage3.jpg   New GT??-rc10gt2throttlelinkage1.jpg  
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Jarred, this is quoted from Kdub off the B4 forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Kit pipe is called the RPM pipe.

Smoothy pipe #7995 is the option pipe that I recommend. It will make a more linear powerband and feel more like electric.

The old GT FT pipe is the torque pipe and I do not use it normally.
Hehehe, time to get the pretty thing dirty now!!!

jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #230
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews
UPDATE!

Associated RC10 GT2 1/10th Off-Road screw kits are now in stock!

Associated RC10 GT2 1/10th Off-Road 189-piece high grade 8 alloy steel socket head screw kit. Kit includes all applicable cap, flat and button head screws, as well as nuts, washers, and set screws.

Thanks and best regards,
from were?
jlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

click the link in his signature.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #232
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Just finished the build tonight of a GT2 and have the first break in tank through it on the box.

Awesome build- obviously the hinge pin screws, but I just yanked them from a T4, no biggie. Other than that, no hick ups what so ever.

Here's a couple common sense things to look for for any first timer building the truck as a first build or newer racer.

1.) Dremel or sand off the burs on the front a-arms when removing from parts tree, the burs will bind the front suspension near the bulkhead.
2.) The only very strippable part I noticed was the bottom side of the battery box, take extra precation there.
3.) For anyone using a CV-R, the NTC3 clutch nut with 8 threads cut off with dremel (need steady hand for clean cut, and eye protection) works fine. HOWEVER, for perfect clutch bell and spur gear alignment, use the shim behind the collet even though the book says only use with SG cranks. I didn't use it and I could use just a little more outward shim, but still has plenty of bite on the spur.

Other than that, can't wait to run everything in on Sunday.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #233
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Hey just be thankful you guys have brakes!! Mine didnt come with the brake system, but I got 2 top shafts - lol!!!!

Awesome and actually a fun truck to build.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #234
Tech Elite

I finally got to drive my truck Sunday and let me tell you............OH MY GOD. It is nothing like the old one. I put on a pair of tires that I know would be just okay on our track but not the best. I almost could not get that truck to break the rear loose. I could pull the front up at will. I just have to dial out the push. It's getting there. Once people get this truck dialed...sorry about the AD2's luck cause it'll be over.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my Gt2 yesterday. We ran a combined Sportsman/Expert class and the lack of steering made it really difficult to work traffic. I like a car with TONS of steering but this thing just wouldnt point in and rotate. Maybe my front tires are shot but they still felt like they had a good edge. I ran the Tebo nats setup and his GT setup pretty much what I ran on the old truck.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #236
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our points series ended this past Sunday and I won the series with my GT2! I started the series with my Mugen MST-1 and switched half way through to the GT2 when it was released. I was going to wait until it was more proven, but I was able to get one the day they came out so I said "What the hey".

I was tied for first heading into the final race. I tq'd by 1 lap over the field and won the a-main by 3 laps. I let an old Losi faithful drive my truck and he is ready to switch...lol! Thanks AE for such an incredible truck. Overall out of the box I improved my qual times by over a lap and my main times by a couple laps. The switch was worth it. Next season I will have the OS TZ in it with a smoothy pipe so we'll see how I do. Can't wait for spring!

As for the steering or lack thereof, have you tried the Cavalari set up? I tried Tebo's first and it was alright to me. Tried Cavalari's and it felt a ton better to me. The people who have driven my truck thought it was a little too loose and twitchy. Maybe that is why I am quick Also, did you reset your radio then readjust your steering centering and travel for the new truck? I am driving so aggressive and on the throttle so much more than my MST-1.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Their setups are for different tracks than what I am driving currently so I don't think they will apply. It's not the radio either. I just need to find the right fronts and shock and spring combo. It's close.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #238
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good luck! I know that once you are dialed it will be a blast to drive. What kind of track do you drive on?
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #239
Tech Elite

Indoor red clay.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #240
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Happy!

Wanted to bring this up to the top. I raced my GT2 for the first time and am thoroughly impressed. Broke in a new CVR and raced! No setup time due to work.I showed up Sat AM and had the 2nd heat. Ran it box stock and was all smiles. Seemed more forgiving than my last GT and the AD2 thats up for sale.
I did follow the advice on the build with the screws. I broke nothing and only tried changes to ride ht. and wheelbase. I ran on an indoor high-bite clay track with small jumps. I used Pink Tapers and ended up with Panther multiribs in the front. I had TONS of steering. Raise the rear ride height if you guys are having steering issues.
Great job AE.
977 EVO2, Matrix tires, Picco power.
Please drive responsibly
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote