R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #196
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Started building mine tonight. I was going to start with Tebo's setup for a hard packed blown out track that is dusty after the buggies/truggies tear it up. Anyone else have other suggestions? I will be using Losi Red Step Pins (only tire that hooks).
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The truck is going together very easy so far, my only complaint though is that some of the screws in the kit are just slightly oversized as far as the hex drive size and like to strip out. Must be a different supplier than in years past with different tolerances. Or I could just be losing my mind.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #198
Tech Addict

RCBlue,

I am having same issues with screws. Otherwise the kit almost builds itself!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #199
Tech Elite

My best guess would be that the some or all of the kit screws come a different mfr that doesn't have very tight tolerances. Kinda sucks but nothing I can't work around.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got to see Taylor Peterson run his today... VERY impressive. It just seems to float over bumps and accellerates agressively. It looked a little easier to drive, but with Taylor, a brick with wheels and a motor looks smooth.

I'm definately getting one this winter.
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #201
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im gettin mine this week sometime. prolly monday or tuesday. ill let you boys know on my build.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #202
Tech Addict

Today was the maiden run with the GT2 paired with my Mugen MT.12 engine, stock pipe. I was TQ until the left front hinge pin at the c-hub broke. Second heat I was TQ and broke the right rear hinge pin at the hub. Both times I rigged up something from the FT GT spare and was able to continue.

Outside of the hinge pins, truck was incredible. It was like it was on rails, and squares up so nice! I won the a-main and bettered my previous best race time by 1 lap. Same with qualifying! My previous rig was the Mugen MST-1.

So why is the hinge pins a smaller diameter and what can I do to make sure next race day this doesn't happen again? does Lunsford have3 a kit for the GT2 yet?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #203
Tech Master

hmm, same boat as me. I had a mst-1 with mt12 and im running my mt12 in my GT2.

errr the hinge pins dont sound to good, did u hit something bad? what caused the breakage?

i know for a fact that tony's screws already make a full screw kit for the GT2 so there is hop-ups out there.

JK
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #204
Tech Addict

Just an update. On another message board one of the team drivers told me they know about a batch of weak hinge pins. I was told to call customer service. So anyone who experiences this knows what to do now.

At least it didn't cost me the win...lol!

Jarred, what did you think after making the change? I can see how my MST-1 felt like it was on ice. After the first heat with a broken hinge pin, I tried to take it easy the rest of the day. I still bettered my previous best by one lap. I can't wait until I am confident and go all out! Also, where are you with the slipper setting? I can find one with he MT .12 I am happy with.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #205
Tech Addict

Default 2-56 capture screws

I think the problem that occurred was not a broken hinge pin. The pin fell out of the outer arm. The thing we have seen so far is that some of the 2-56 hinge pin capture screws have a small head, so the hinge pin can work it's way out past the screw.

If you're experiencing this, please contact AE customer and we can get you some replacement screws. They already know about this issue. We've only seen the small 2-56 screws in the first kits and it has been corrected for the future.

If you're in a hurry, you can always get a pack of spares at the hobby shop, #9645 for $2. As another option, you can put some washers on the screw head to make it cover the pin hole better.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #206
Tech Elite

Are they also aware of the fact that some of the screw hex drives are out of tolerance? It's too late for my kit but I would hope thay can correct the problem for the future kits. It is only a couple of the 2/56 screws and a couple of the 4/40 flat heads and the 4/40 button heads used for the upper shock mounts. At least that is what I noticed in my kit.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Screwed

I was all smiles till I got to step 19. I stripped out both 2-56s with a tight fitting hex driver. They are recessed into the hinge pin brace. No dremels gonna save me here! Might be drilling and tapping some 4-40s at first rebuild, unless I break 1st..
977 EVO2, Matrix tires, Picco power.
Please drive responsibly
TeamCarnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #208
Tech Elite

That sucks and I feel for ya.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #209
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Just an update. On another message board one of the team drivers told me they know about a batch of weak hinge pins. I was told to call customer service. So anyone who experiences this knows what to do now.

At least it didn't cost me the win...lol!

Jarred, what did you think after making the change? I can see how my MST-1 felt like it was on ice. After the first heat with a broken hinge pin, I tried to take it easy the rest of the day. I still bettered my previous best by one lap. I can't wait until I am confident and go all out! Also, where are you with the slipper setting? I can find one with he MT .12 I am happy with.
I know exactly how u feel, i get lapped by the GT's at my track, purely because the mugens are to STIFF, thats what i beleive. To stiff which creates the truck to slide all the time and not bite on the tire. The MST-1 are a pathetic truck i beleive. Also, all my tires i use on my MST-1 are a stud tire, such as losi stud, step pin and lugnuts. I notice all the boys running a GT or GT2 in U.S they all run low profile tires such as boe tie and even holeshots. I run holeshots on my electric truck lol. These GT2's must have that much grip they dont need a tread. Its great. I like all the advice coming from here, see i have my GT2 but i havent started building. Making sure i know all the tricks i.e putting washers on the heads of the bolts that hold the hinge pin in

But yeah, im going to run a MT.12 , i dunno what pipe im going to use but most likely the Meilke one we run. Dont know the number. Me and my father like the look of the AE SMoothy, what power delivery does this pipe offer on a MT.12 anyone?

JK
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #210
Tech Addict

The AE smoothy pipe #7995 is in stock now. All of the team used it (except for Tebo who ran a similar O'Donnell custom pipe) at the ROAR Nats.

The smoothy pipe allows for an easy to drive smooth transition between bottom and top end. It won't hit hard and break the tires loose. I think it makes the throttle feel the most like an electric truck of any pipe I've used. The team used it on LRP, O.S., Orion and Mugen motors and all said the same thing.