R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Default Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum

With all the truggy rumors flying, Mugen has finally released their MBX5T CAD drawings on the Mugen Japan site. Enjoy!

http://www.mugenseiki.co.jp/mugen/menuejfi.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_03.jpg   Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_04.jpg   Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_05.jpg  

Last edited by madjack; 04-26-2006 at 09:01 AM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Tech Master

new arms, tank, towers, braces..and lets hope diff gearing
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_08.jpg   Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_07.jpg   Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_01.jpg   Mugen MBX5T - the Truggy forum-mbx-5t_02.jpg  
Old 04-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Hey madjack

That Chassie looks like it has alot of Twist-Flex in it... I just Hope the Motor Mount to Trans is One Piece!!! With all that Flex your going to have a Hard time Keeping the Gear Mesh between the Motor and Trans Stable... but Mugen Knows what there Doing!!!

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I also see that they flipped the servo saver to make access to the adjustment nut easier, ala Kyosho. It would be nice if the chassis were at least 4mm thick too.....that might help the mesh issue.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgotori
That Chassie looks like it has alot of Twist-Flex in it... I just Hope the Motor Mount to Trans is One Piece!!! With all that Flex your going to have a Hard time Keeping the Gear Mesh between the Motor and Trans Stable... but Mugen Knows what there Doing!!!
Brad
with the kings headz extended braces i have managed to get about 3 gallons on the cb bearings.
prior to that i was getting an hour on a set of bearings and i had eaten a tooth off the spur.
i do think that mugens flexable chassis is helping handling in the rough. the track at wenachee was pretty torn up and my truck just eats up the bumps and all that.
i have driven the LSP and the crt, but i prefer the mugen with the dace 23 mm hubs
Eric
sukidr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Hey sukidr350

What did you like about the Mugen ,more than the Jammin CRT??? I just don't like the Hubs being Extended out from the Arms that Far... Seems like your getting More Scrub from them...

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
Old 04-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgotori
Hey sukidr350

What did you like about the Mugen ,more than the Jammin CRT??? I just don't like the Hubs being Extended out from the Arms that Far... Seems like your getting More Scrub from them...

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
the mugen has to be driven hard! the jammin i feel needs to be finessed around the track, and the LSP is kind of half way inbetween.
the durrability of the mugen is unquestioned.
there is more scrub and it is harder to set the toeout, but that doesnt seem to affect it. i feel that what i like the most about the mugen is the way that it handles the nasty blown out tracks that i have run on. on a nice clay track i think the mugen is low dog on the totem pole. but i have only run one of those. mostly i run on a riverbottom track, silt and sand with rocks(ie blown out right from the beginning) it seems to be able to flex more and i more forgiving to bad takeoffs.
it also has a tendancy to pop off the jumps, initialy it is more of a vertical jump and then it flattens out, so i dont have to push it into a jump as hard. i can set the jump up a little better and then punch it,where as go all out and possible misalign the jump.
i dont like the turning!
hope that helps,
Eric
Old 04-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Hey sukidr350

Good to hear!!! All the Tracks out here in SoCal are all groomed and Hose down. So I won't have the trouble your having with the Track setup. I'm waiting on getting a Truggy until the Mugen comes out, but if a good Jammin CRT is being sold I might get that to start out with... I'm still running a MBX4RR Buggy thats been Great!!! Never had any trouble with it...hahaha Always runs Great!!!

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

dont get me wrong, there is not a bad truggy out there, but they all have their place. it is the driver mostly.
but i dont think a jammin would hold up to the abuse that that mugen has had
i bought it used from a guy that bought it used. there are part on there that are probally 18-22 gallons old!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been running my MSR X5T now with my Long Arm Conversion Kit the last few months and the truck ROCKS! Factory driver Tyler Vik is running my Long Arm Conversion on his MSR X5T too and loves it. He broke his old local track record by 12 seconds just bolting on the conversion. He said the truck was dialed at Silver State and he came in 5th place at the US Gas Champs. The longer arms makes a HUGE difference on the Mugen. This new truck is going to give the competition a serious run for the money once Scott Hughes and Bobby Tillman run it along with the rest of the Mugen team.

The truck should be in shops sometime in mid July. For those that want to build a Mugen truck now, the prices on the X5, ProSpec and MSR Conversion Kits has come way down. You can get the Std X5 kit, the MSR Conversion, my Tony's Screws Long Arm Conversion and sell off the un-used buggy parts and be sitting on a MSR X5T w/ longer suspension for about $400. I have driven my MSR X5T for one year and have only broken one part on it. It was this past weekend at the RC Pro Series NorthEast race #1. I had a hinge pin walk out and it stressed the axle. I hit the large jump in front of the table top and landed on the right rear wheel on the pipe. It snapped the axle. I'm sure if the pin didn't walk out, I would've never broke the axle. I also can't drive that good and crash a lot, so it's been thoroughly abused ...LOL The Mugen is way more durable than any other buggy/truck out there.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What is the difference between the MBX5T and MSRX5T?

Is the MBX5T going to be totally different parts from the conversion kit?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Hey

The MBX5T is a New Mugen Truggy, the MSRX5T is a Buggy Based conversion. The difference from what I can see in pics is the MBX5T has long arms(F/R)and a different F/R and Center Diff and Gearing. Chassie looks to be way different also, and maybe the Front and Rear Knuckles... But I'm just guessing...

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks. I thought it just might bw arms and a few odds and ends, looks like it might be a different kit after all.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
What is the difference between the MBX5T and MSRX5T?

Is the MBX5T going to be totally different parts from the conversion kit?
The new Mugen MBX5T, it is going to be priced around the standard MBX5 buggy kit. It will have new hardcoated shock bodies, longer shocks, new F&R shock towers, re-geared F&R diffs, small buggy spur gear, revised chassis, new chassis braces, long arms, longer drive shafts, 17mm wheel hubs and non-offset 17mm wheels.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
Tech Master

oh yeah...hear we go! Spoke with Mugen today and it sounds like they will have samples within a couple of weeks and production models shortly after.

http://www.speedtechnitro.com/ebprod...il.asp?id=7004

finally!