R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie needs some help

Bought a re-released Hornet with a Trinity Epic 12x3 Big Track motor. I haven't ran yet because I need a new esc. Opinions on how this Hornet will perform? Think it will scoot pretty good?
Gaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

good advice would to try it out yourself first, but make sure you breakin properly. i learnt it the hard way. A techy should start up a thread on how to properly breakin because i'm getting a lot of different opinions from different people.
Aceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aceboy, a Tamiya Hornet is an electric buggy that they sold in the 80s.

Gaber, that may be too much motor for the Hornet, I would use a milder wind like a 19 or 17 before dropping in a 12. Modified racing back then was a 15 turn. The Hornet will perform OK but it has very short arms and was a good buggy around 1986 but was soon surpassed by AE's RC10 and Kyosho's Ultima. The best part was that it just plain fun to play with, so much more superior to Radio Shack and Tyco RCs of the day.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just see how it goes with this motor. It might be just to darn big. I'm just getting into RC'ing. I didn't know this motor was a 12 turn! I thought at the most it was a 19. At the hobby store I just asked for a bigger motor and that's what they gave me.

I've read to break in a motor is to run it for 5 mins on 1/4 throttle. Of course take it easy on a few runs before you let loose.

I'll have it running tonight with the new esc. I'll see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Tech Elite

You just need to run it slowly for about three minutes to seat the brushes. I hope that the hobby shop has a commutator cutting service because the comm on that 12 will need work and the brushes replaced after several battery packs.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

AreCee,

Tell me this, how long will this motor last? I get the feeling from you this motor is more maintenence than fun? What motor would you recommend? Something that makes the car run really strong, but a motor I really don't have to mess with. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

IMHO get a rebuildable stock motor. It will work like a charm in the Hornet and last quite a bit longer than a low turn mod. A stock is 27 turn or get a nice 19 turn to turn on the juice. Either one should cost under $30. You'll also get a longer run time from the battery.

One question, are you planning to race it? Yes, then get the stock. No, then get the 19.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Nah, just run it up & down the street. Maybe chase our neighbor's cat with it. I have a couple of buddies with some fairly quick trucks I'd like to smoke. But just to play & have fun with, that's all.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

OK but you have to keep in mind that there is hardly any suspension on the Hornet. The front end is a swing arm set up with no damping, it has friction "shocks" or in other words just springs. The rear is a one piece axle and not an independent type so when one side moves so does the other side and again only friction shocks. In other words, it will be very bouncy.

Now that I refreshed my memory I would recommend that you return that 12 turn and pick up a stock motor, Trinity is good. The Hornet re-release is supposed to have an ESC included as well as the old reliable silver can Mabutchi 540 motor (or Johnson).
Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Well I tossed the back springs and replaced those with some Traxxas Rad 2 springs from a broken car. There not great but better. I'm searching for anykind of aftermarket springs for the front & back, no luck yet.

I've purchased a heavy duty esc because of the larger motor. The esc that came with the car & wouldn't do anything with that bigger motor in it. It just beeped at me. haha Although, I'm just to curious how fast that Hornet will go with that 12 turn? I'm sure I'll keep the 12 turn in it and buy a 19 turn trinity motor for a back up.

I'm thinking about using those Traxxas front wheels instead of the stock.