R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Callmedan
Default New to R/C

Hey everyone, I've been a fan of RC cars pretty much my whole life and I just recently got in to the hobby. I bought a used Factory Team T4 that came with almost everything I needed to start out. Unfortunatly it looks like the guy that put it together either 1) didn't do a very good job, or 2) abused the truck horribly. So right now I'm taking it apart and rebuilding it which is cool because it's like building it, but twice

I live in Orange County and would like to start going down to SoCal Speedway as soon as I get the truck working well enough to take it through a few practice runs. My girlfriend showed me the place about 2 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon so we went in and watched a few races.

That's about it. My girlfriend's dad was HUGE in to RC cars about 15 years ago and after seeing me play with my new toy he wants to get back in to it as well.
Callmedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

welcome....have fun!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

When you buy batteries & ect. Be sure to ask around so that you can learn what you actualy need to do what you want.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks, the batteries that came with the truck say 3300... I don't know what that means...

I appreciate any and all help. I've spend many hours browsing these boards and the information here is amazing.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

3300 is the capacity. When you race you typicaly will run 3 qualifyers and a main. This means you need 4 battery packs. 4 good packs of matched 3300s would be fine for stock or 19 turn racing to get started on. If you go to your local hobby shop I'm sure he could help you out w/ getting anything you need and point you in the right direction. Heres a quick list of things you probly need. trinity dyna pulse, a novak smart trey, and and a cheap ac/dc nimh charger. These items will keep your packs running strong for a very very long time. Then get yourself 4 matched nimh packs. If you don't have the money for all this then some cheap 1700 or 1800 mah nicd packs will do the job. The guy at your lhs can teach you all about battery maintanance and ect.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stevietd14 Send a message via Yahoo to Stevietd14

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
Heres a quick list of things you probly need. trinity dyna pulse, a novak smart trey, and and a cheap ac/dc nimh charger. Then get yourself 4 matched nimh packs. If you don't have the money for all this then some cheap 1700 or 1800 mah nicd packs will do the job.
This guy is nuts, you in no way , need a dyna-pulse, smart tray and a cheap charger. Since your a beginner you will do just fine and it will be in your best interest to get a quality digital peak charger such as a Quasar Pro or any of the Indi series. These can be found used for under $80 and will be a much better investment for a beginner then putting $75 on a dynapulse, $80 on a smart tray, and $50 on a cheapo charger.Right now you should be focused on learning your car and the important details of RC racing such as motor maintenence (sp), car maintenence/setup, and the other basics. Battery maintenence is important but a beginner such as yourself will be fine with running a pack then letting it cool and maybe running it again in the same day.The very slight performance gain you would notice from the expensive battery maintainers mentioned above is not worth the big bucks it would cost you. Just go to your track, talk to the workers at the LHS , to find about days for races, practices, classes, rules, etc.
It would also help everyone here on giving you advice if you posted all of what you have, such as charger, ESC, motor, etc.
If you need any help we will all be glad to help.
Steve
Stevietd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
3300 is the capacity. When you race you typicaly will run 3 qualifyers and a main. This means you need 4 battery packs. 4 good packs of matched 3300s would be fine for stock or 19 turn racing to get started on. If you go to your local hobby shop I'm sure he could help you out w/ getting anything you need and point you in the right direction. Heres a quick list of things you probly need. trinity dyna pulse, a novak smart trey, and and a cheap ac/dc nimh charger. These items will keep your packs running strong for a very very long time. Then get yourself 4 matched nimh packs. If you don't have the money for all this then some cheap 1700 or 1800 mah nicd packs will do the job. The guy at your lhs can teach you all about battery maintanance and ect.

Yeah I second that you just dropped major coin on a new rig, hey why not just spend another 2 grand on crap you don't need to have fun and have no idea what it's used for...... that's why I left on-road I got tired of spending lots of money on crap that just complicated my life.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Ok here's what I have:

Airtronics Blazer Remote Controll and reciever
Airtronics 94102 servo (It feels like a gear is striped or at least missing a couple teeth)
Blackwidow AC/DC charger
LPR digital speed controll with reverse

I'm not sure what motor came with it, but it's not stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Can you post pics of what you got?

Its a very good idea to rebuild the truck. If it feels like it is well used, i recommend doing a diff rebuild with fresh balls as well as rebuilding your shocks with a rebuild it. Make sure your CVDs also run true and remove any stripped or starting to strip screws. Verify all bearings spin freely, replace those that don't.

In general when I buy used I expect to spend about $10 - $20 more bucks replacing worn stuff.

I would read up on your charger and make sure it can charge nimh packs.

The best money you probably can spend would be on a good charger like the Reedy Quasar Pro. used they go for a good price and have discharge capability too. For a discharge tray, just pickup the Indi Octane 2. Can be had for around 20 bucks these days and works well. Its what I use, I have this combo of charger and discharger and it really keeps your batteries running well.

For motor you probably need to see what class you are going into and find out if its legal. If not, you will want to buy a class specific motor.

As for the servo, I would look into buying a metal gear servo at the minimum. I think the 645MG would be a good choice and can be had for a fair price new on ebay too. You can also try the Z590M servo. They should be sufficient and are all over the place cheap.

Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tmaxxking
Default a few thought's

you should upgrade your radio ..

JR a good radio for the price .. xr3i uses crystals or xs3 synthesized just change the channel both fm .. come stock with a jr 590 servo metal gear servo 85 oz of tourque ..

your esc i would check with the track rules you will be running at..most tracks dont allow use of reverse .

quasar pro is a great charger ..i use a novak millenium pro myself

here comes the shamless sale's plug i have one listed in the used section of this forum for 65.00 shipped in great shape box and instructions

hitec 645mg good servo for the price new or used 133oz of torque

rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106423
tmaxxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tmaxxking
Default hmm

after reading the radio system and esc sounds like you got an rtr version and not a team kit ..

here is a link

http://www.allstarhobbies.com/Team-A...-pr-16624.html

still not a bad truck and all the team stuff is a direct bolt on fit

rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106423
tmaxxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I am wondering the same thing which is why I wanted to see some pics.

i had a synthesized radio, worked well.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

It might have started out as an RTR, but it has all the blue aluminum, titanium pieces, and threaded shock bodies. I'm not sure if the shock towers are carbon or not though. I'll have some pictures up tonight when I get home from work.

Oh, and the part number on the box is #7022

Last edited by Callmedan; 04-25-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Here are some pictures from the person I got it from

Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Are the Novak TC2 esc's still worth anything? I have a friend that wants to sell me his old one, but I can't find them anywhere and get a price. Right now his offer is $55. Also, I will be using it in a T4, so would I notice any differance between a TC2 and a C2?