R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Triples, Quads and Quints? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/111361-triples-quads-quints.html)

WheelNut 04-23-2006 09:02 PM

Triples, Quads and Quints?

So I was thinking about getting a 9 or 10 turn motor for my T4. I love to have a motor with more top end than I really need and lots of power, but of course it needs to be smooth. So I was thinking about getting a triple, quad or quint wind for my next motor. How do the extra windings effect the power band, and how smooth are these motors? I would think that they shouldn't spool up quite so quick since the armature would be heavier. I will be racing on a variety of tracks, most of which will be fairly low grip. The motor will be a DC motorsports checkpoint mod.

mafiaracers 04-23-2006 09:16 PM

if you want to think about it from a actual physical standpoint....more winds means more physical material on the arm which translates to a wider powerband. More stuff to turn slows acceleration a tad with the loss of low end grunt. The more winds, generally, the more top end because they can spool up more...not necessarily faster. You really don't hear about people running much more than a tripple these days. usually singles or doubles. If you want a quad or quint, you may have to go custom and talk to brood or DC and have them made for you.

Molky 04-24-2006 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by WheelNut
So I was thinking about getting a 9 or 10 turn motor for my T4. I love to have a motor with more top end than I really need and lots of power, but of course it needs to be smooth. So I was thinking about getting a triple, quad or quint wind for my next motor. How do the extra windings effect the power band, and how smooth are these motors? I would think that they shouldn't spool up quite so quick since the armature would be heavier. I will be racing on a variety of tracks, most of which will be fairly low grip. The motor will be a DC motorsports checkpoint mod.

I've tried a 10x3 in my T4, it feels very doughy, I wouldn't really recommend it. I'd tend to stick to a double's for truck. Triples and Quads are good in 2wd on slippery tracks

WheelNut 04-25-2006 07:02 PM

Thanks Molky and Mafia, anybody else with some expirence with these kinds of winds?

party_wagon 04-25-2006 07:49 PM

A simple rule of thumb is the lower the turn the fewer the winds you want. I wouldn't run a triple unless its at least a 13 turn motor. If you are racing realy all you need is a 13 or 12 turn double. If you insest on getting more though then a 10 turn single is probly what your looking for. Just remeber the hotter the motor the more maintanance.

Banshee8530 04-27-2006 01:39 PM

Sounds like everyone is giving you sound advice. The reason no one runs the triples, quads, and quints anynore is because of the fast growth in tire technology. Generally you can find a tire to hook up on any surface and give the traction needed to use a 10-single or 10-double. Faster motor=more trips to the lathe + more brush changes + lots of brush springs on hand. I would first ask yourself why you need a triple, etc. Is it traction issues or something else? Perhaps it can be rectified without buying a custom motor.