R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Problem with starting engine - Pull start

Hi

I'm having great difficulty starting the engine, when it does start it works very well but it takes a lot of pulls (sometimes up to 2-3 min to startup).
Glo plug is new, cause the rc is 2 weeks old, battery is brand new duracel with right output. The engine is now flooded because the pull is still smooth (well i manage to stuff up a lawn mower and know how it feels when the engines chocked).

I know this is a broad question and theres a lot of factors that may affect the outcome. but could you please point me to good websites where i can do a bit of reading.

thanks!
Aceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Default answer

Hey mate, i had the same problem wen i first started wat i did was take out the glow plug and test it in the ignitor... if it glows well, then the ignitor is fully charged. So put the glow plug bak into the engine head, make sure it is screwed in all the way but not overtitened, then loosen it off 1/4 of a turn put the ignitor in and start it....it should take mabye 1 or 2 pulls, while engine is running tighten glow plug again. Then wen u try to start it again hopefully it will start first time! It may not work...u could have a different problem

But i hope it helps

Last edited by masteR; 04-23-2006 at 06:01 AM.
masteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Yes, to unclog that engine head just loosen up the plug so that it looses its seal and give it a few cranks. Once its empty again tighten it back after you check you plug. Now it should start fine. When you are starting it you have to make sure you give the car throtle the second you hear it start up. If it is dieing a few seconds later then lean up the low end. Perhaps you can get someone you live w/ or a buddy of yours to give it a nice burst of throtle to get all the junk out of the engine that has been sitting in it.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys, i will give it a try today and reply if its still stuffed.... this is the first time i've read about loosening the plug. Hopefully the thread will come in handy for other newcomers.

cheers
Old 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Tech Elite

While your starting it be sure to give it a little gas. I have always had the convienence of a bump start, but if you hold the throtle open about 1/4th it will allow the engine to clear itself out after the car has sat for a few days. Keep the plug in the glow plug igniter in the engine for a few seconds after you start your car the first time for a day and give it a few bursts of throtle. Once the engine has heated up a little after 10 seconds of this it should be all cleared out and ready for a day of running w/ easy starts. If you leave the glo igniter on the plug for more then 15 seconds or so then it can burn up. It should be put igniter on plug yank yank throtle throtle remove igniter & drive.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Make sure your glow started is fully charged.. its best to let it charge over night. Now turn on your radio and reciever. Then prime the engine. To do so put your finger over the exhaust and pull the starter till you see fuel entering the carb. Now clamp the glow starter over the glow plug and give it a few rapid pulls. It might be a little hard but thats normal till it gets nice and lubed. It should start right up! If not take the air filter off and make sure your throttle isnt open more that 1.5mm. I usually use the throttle trim on my remote to ajust it slightly. If it gets flodded empty the exhaust pipe by fliping the car upside down/upright and shaking it, you can also take the glow plug out and then flip it buy im lazy. Hope this helps. Danny
n3rd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

okay, heres the update

i manage to start my engine a lot easier after i've loosen the glow plug, only took about 5 pulls on a cold start.

after giving it about 5 minutes idle run, i turned it off to restart it.

well 2nd pull the string broke off.... thus i have a new problem....

how much does it cost to replace it? ohh the amount of headaches!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Bad luk mate..... ummm not sure how much it will be to replace it but in future wen u pull the cord always pull it toward ur self out bout 6 inches so it stops at ur body and doesnt snap off.
masteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Aceboy, did the string broke or it came off? Mine came off and I was told it can be repaired. Question is, how do we do it properly
entaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What kind of car is this?

If it's bump box accessable, Use one of those. Pull starts are just the beginning of Nitro Hell. Hell on your car, on oneway bearings, your knuckles, everything!

Sure you don't have to lug around alot of stuff, but I'd rather lug around a 5 pound starter box than use a stupid pull start!
Old 04-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite

If you have a decent drill somewhere in your house then do this. Go to your local hobby shop and ask for a "roto start" for your engine. It will cost about $10-$20. It will allow you to take a drill w/ a long bit and use the drill to turn the engine over. It is basicly a tiny gear box that mounts right where the pull start is. Odds are you could even get the guy at the lhs to install it for you and show you how to use it.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the reply guys.

I've decided i wont bother with the pull start, i will be getting a starter box instead. Partly because of the frustration and also for the sake of the engine.

with regards to the roto start as an alternative. it seems to be a cheaper and more compact altnertiave to a starter box. either option, would it matter if i DONT replace the pull start. i cant justify paying $50 AUD to get this fixed when i dont intend to use it in the future.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to better

It can go the other way too he may not have any fuel in his lines and it can take a while for the motor to prime them.

remove the presser line off the exhaust(make sure is clean) blow very slow and stop when the fuel hits the carb

put your finger over the exhaust outlet while pulling

hold the car so the tank is above the engine, pull full throttle and just wiggle the flywheel against the compression stroke until its primed(no igniter)

While primming always watch your fuel lines not to over prime
better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

my engine was definetely not primed properly because there wasnyt any fuel in the line. But now i need to know if i should take out the pull start because i'm intending to just use a starter box instead of replacing the pull start.

Either way, i learnt something out of this thread. Thanks All!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
What kind of car is this?

If it's bump box accessable, Use one of those. Pull starts are just the beginning of Nitro Hell. Hell on your car, on oneway bearings, your knuckles, everything!

Sure you don't have to lug around alot of stuff, but I'd rather lug around a 5 pound starter box than use a stupid pull start!

i second that...the two that i have seen were both broke...good idea to get the box...its just soo much easier...your arm dont get tired...but just dont forget to charge before race day...that happened to me the first time i tried to run the buggy this season...talk about feeling retarded...

make sure that you can use a box on it...IE access to the flywheel...or make sure that the brand of box will work with it...i really like the sportwerks box...with 2 pretty hot promatch packs...it will start a new engine with no problem...well the only problem is that everyone trying to break in an engine wants to use my box...but thats what i am there for...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote