Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing >

Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing

Like Tree18Likes

Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing

Old 01-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing

Hi guys,

I have a group of 10 friends that is all planning to buy the same R/C car so we can all race against one another on a level playing field, mostly leaving vehicle setup and driver skill as the variables. I am researching which model would be the best platform to start with.

Ideally, it would come as a kit we can build ourselves. That will add to the fun of being able to assemble it, and set it up to our liking.

Requirements:
-1/10th scale off-road electric vehicle
-2S battery limit
-Total cost under $500 for everything
-Adjustability in terms of geometry and suspension (toe, camber, preload, droop, oil viscosity) and chassis (gearing, slipper) would be nice
-Usable on carpet track, and groomed dirt track.

So far, it doesn't look like I have many options:
-Traxxas makes the Slash kit for $199, and requires a battery and charger. It does look rather cheap, using a brushed motor and many plastic parts. - https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...014-4/p1221983
-Associated makes the Pro2 SC10 for $399 including everything. This looks like a much nicer platform at a glance, compared to the slash. It is a not a kit however, so it doesn't even really meet my own criteria. - https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...ce_Wheels_RTR/

Is there something else I should be looking at that might get close?

Last edited by c0brakai; 01-16-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Main problem with the Slash is that it is filled a ton of design flaws and has VERY dated technology, it requires more money on upgrades alone that make it far more expensive than a race grade kit... the kicker is that it doesn't even include sealed diffs which are critical for race tuning.

Check out PR Racing, they offer a wide range of entry level to high end kits where this should help you keep everything in the price range you need to be:

https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-racing/pr-racing-kits

I would contact the owner (Scott Howe) and let him know you are planning to order 10 kits, he will likely give you a discount for a bulk order like that, tell him Bill DeLong referred you
token, 76jimmy, c0brakai and 1 others like this.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Check out the TLR - Team Losi Racing
This was built for spec racing to be a little simpler. You can totally build this for your budget.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c0brakai
Hi guys,

I have a group of 10 friends that is all planning to buy the same R/C car so we can all race against one another on a level playing field, mostly leaving vehicle setup and driver skill as the variables. I am researching which model would be the best platform to start with.

Ideally, it would come as a kit we can build ourselves. That will add to the fun of being able to assemble it, and set it up to our liking.

Requirements:
-2S battery limit
-Adjustability in terms of geometry and suspension (toe, camber, preload, droop, oil viscosity) and chassis (gearing, slipper) would be nice

-Traxxas makes the Slash kit for $199, and requires a battery and charger ... -Associated makes the Pro2 SC10 for $399 ...

Since the two you have listed are Short Course trucks, is that a priority as well, or is buggy based a consideration as well? ... most of your 'kits' are not going to include electronics, so are all 10 in agreement on the electronic package, right down to the mAH/C rating of the lipo, etc.? ... an open playing field here ($$), so much for your 'set-up & driver skill' reason for the whole deal ...
Old 01-17-2023, 11:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billdelong
Main problem with the Slash is that it is filled a ton of design flaws and has VERY dated technology, it requires more money on upgrades alone that make it far more expensive than a race grade kit... the kicker is that it doesn't even include sealed diffs which are critical for race tuning.

Check out PR Racing, they offer a wide range of entry level to high end kits where this should help you keep everything in the price range you need to be:

https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-racing/pr-racing-kits

I would contact the owner (Scott Howe) and let him know you are planning to order 10 kits, he will likely give you a discount for a bulk order like that, tell him Bill DeLong referred you
Yeah I am not super stoked on the Slash design, it won't be a good platform for people to tinker with and upgrade over time.

Originally Posted by token
Check out the TLR - Team Losi Racing
This was built for spec racing to be a little simpler. You can totally build this for your budget.
I like that one.

The question is... Where am I going to find a radio + receiver + motor + ESC + battery + charger + servo + tires for $180? Does anyone know of affordable electronics packages that could be coupled with a kit instead of having to buy everything separately?
Old 01-17-2023, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomkatn
Since the two you have listed are Short Course trucks, is that a priority as well, or is buggy based a consideration as well? ... most of your 'kits' are not going to include electronics, so are all 10 in agreement on the electronic package, right down to the mAH/C rating of the lipo, etc.? ... an open playing field here ($$), so much for your 'set-up & driver skill' reason for the whole deal ...
Buggy is definitely a consideration. Or a stadium truck or truggy as well.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing - I am not seeing a way to do a half-decent "kit" without it blowing the budget. Yet there are tons of RTR's that can be had for well under budget.

And yes, all 10 are in agreement to have the exact same batteries, motors, etc to keep things fair.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Buggy is definitely a consideration. Or a stadium truck or truggy as well.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing - I am not seeing a way to do a half-decent "kit" without it blowing the budget. Yet there are tons of RTR's that can be had for well under budget.

And yes, all 10 are in agreement to have the exact same batteries, motors, etc to keep things fair.
In the dirt/carpet oval world, the AE SR10 seems to be fitting that niche fairly well ... the RB10 is the buggy version of it ... the tracks that are running these I am aware of either are requiring 'box stock' (radio and all but DVC disabled), substitute TX/RX of choice, or even another spec lipo ... servo seems to be a weak link in the package, but cheap subs avail there ... there are a lot of folks that buy RB10, DR10, SR10, Pro SC10, Pro2 SC10, Trophy Rat, etc (all came with same elec. pkg.) and pull/sell the tires/electronics, so I am regularly seeing new take-offs on eBay, etc as replacement options ... RB10 Ready-To-Run | Associated Electrics

With regards to 'building from kit', I would strongly recommend complete disassembly and rebuild anyway, as the RTR kits almost always are less than acceptable to be truly 'race ready' ...
Old 01-17-2023, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So, you have said 'RTR-Kit', then mentioned building a kit. RTR means Ready-To-Run, which means it is pre-built and usually much cheaper. Which is more important? Building the kit or staying under $500? I think you will have trouble staying under $500 with any kit. You didn't mention if the $500 limit was to include the transmitter or not. If not, it gets a little better, but still not easy.

If you go with a RTR, that is the easiest way to keep everyone on a level playing field. Many of the better RTRs do allow for tuning and adjusting. The RB10 from Associated would be a decent choice for a RTR buggy for dirt, and would work OK on carpet.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I wish more people would get together like you and your friends are doing and do this. To answer your question, I believe that the Associated RB10 would be the #1 choice. Team Associated RB10 RTR 1/10 Electric 2WD Brushless Buggy (Blue) [ASC90031] - AMain Hobbies
The Associated Pro4 sc10 RTR is another very cost effective RTR. Team Associated Pro4 SC10 1/10 RTR 4WD Brushed Short Course Truck Combo [ASC20532C] - AMain Hobbies. If Losi is your brand, then the 22sct is very good as well for 199.00. Losi 22S SCT 1/10 RTR 2WD Brushed Short Course Truck (Magnaflow) [LOS03022T1] - AMain Hobbies
Newnan3 likes this.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Requirements:
-2S battery limit

-Traxxas makes the Slash kit for $199, and requires a battery and charger. It does look rather cheap, using a brushed motor and many plastic parts. - https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...014-4/p1221983
-Associated makes the Pro2 SC10 for $399 including everything. This looks like a much nicer platform at a glance, compared to the slash. It is a not a kit however, so it doesn't even really meet my own criteria. - https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...ce_Wheels_RTR/

Got a link to the tracks you are planning to run on as well a dimensions?

I know you mentioned 1/10, but for the price range you are looking at, desire the option of a kit, and the conditions mentioned, I'd be very curious if the LC Racing LC12B1 1/12 4wd buggy kit would be up your alley. When we first got indoor RC going here, we had very limited space and started with the LC Racing EMB-1 vehicles. Fast forward a bit, the LC12B1 was released and we now have options for sensored motors in the turns that you see in 1/10. The kits at the time and I think still do come with a variety of sway bars and springs for tuning out of the box and I think include a servo too. Agree on a simple ESC that has the ability to reverse motor direction and a motor and lipo to use and you have spec racing. the tires can work very well for carpet and depending on the dirt surface could work there too. Car isn't that much smaller than a 1/10 buggy and is definitely bigger than Losi's mini-b offerings, much more stable, etc.

Even on our outdoor 1/10 turf track we have guys running these and they are missiles and jump amazing well for the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WwPuEC8hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2uaBo4jBo

Here is a link a lot of folks get there stuff from:

https://casterracingmi.com/index.php...roduct_id=1943

Another option if you guys are into the short course thing are these:

https://casterracingmi.com/index.php...roduct_id=1747

Take them apart and put them back together just like a kit lol. RTR brushless with lipo for about $300, just add battery. Can even get them with a clear body so you can paint what you want.

Last edited by Cain; 01-17-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 0010
So, you have said 'RTR-Kit', then mentioned building a kit. RTR means Ready-To-Run, which means it is pre-built and usually much cheaper. Which is more important? Building the kit or staying under $500? I think you will have trouble staying under $500 with any kit. You didn't mention if the $500 limit was to include the transmitter or not. If not, it gets a little better, but still not easy.

If you go with a RTR, that is the easiest way to keep everyone on a level playing field. Many of the better RTRs do allow for tuning and adjusting. The RB10 from Associated would be a decent choice for a RTR buggy for dirt, and would work OK on carpet.
Sorry - that was confusing. When I said RTR-Kit, I kinda had in mind the Traxxas Slash kit which includes everything you need, but also requires you to build it. That would be ideal, but also seems like the only brand to offer such an option.

There are many RTR's that fit the bill, but I would really prefer to build the cars.

And it's looking like buying a kit + electronics is impossible to keep under $500. That's including transmitter and everything.

Originally Posted by lephturn
I wish more people would get together like you and your friends are doing and do this. To answer your question, I believe that the Associated RB10 would be the #1 choice. Team Associated RB10 RTR 1/10 Electric 2WD Brushless Buggy (Blue) [ASC90031] - AMain Hobbies
The Associated Pro4 sc10 RTR is another very cost effective RTR. Team Associated Pro4 SC10 1/10 RTR 4WD Brushed Short Course Truck Combo [ASC20532C] - AMain Hobbies. If Losi is your brand, then the 22sct is very good as well for 199.00. Losi 22S SCT 1/10 RTR 2WD Brushed Short Course Truck (Magnaflow) [LOS03022T1] - AMain Hobbies
I think it will be a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendations.

Originally Posted by Cain
Got a link to the tracks you are planning to run on as well a dimensions?

I know you mentioned 1/10, but for the price range you are looking at, desire the option of a kit, and the conditions mentioned, I'd be very curious if the LC Racing LC12B1 1/12 4wd buggy kit would be up your alley. When we first got indoor RC going here, we had very limited space and started with the LC Racing EMB-1 vehicles. Fast forward a bit, the LC12B1 was released and we now have options for sensored motors in the turns that you see in 1/10. The kits at the time and I think still do come with a variety of sway bars and springs for tuning out of the box and I think include a servo too. Agree on a simple ESC that has the ability to reverse motor direction and a motor and lipo to use and you have spec racing. the tires can work very well for carpet and depending on the dirt surface could work there too. Car isn't that much smaller than a 1/10 buggy and is definitely bigger than Losi's mini-b offerings, much more stable, etc.

Even on our outdoor 1/10 turf track we have guys running these and they are missiles and jump amazing well for the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WwPuEC8hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2uaBo4jBo

Here is a link a lot of folks get there stuff from:

https://casterracingmi.com/index.php...roduct_id=1943

Another option if you guys are into the short course thing are these:

https://casterracingmi.com/index.php...roduct_id=1747

Take them apart and put them back together just like a kit lol. RTR brushless with lipo for about $300, just add battery. Can even get them with a clear body so you can paint what you want.
Nor Cal hobbies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeeKWAbdpHY

We won't race exclusively at this track. We also have a loose dirt track. I think a SCT or Stadium Truck would fare better than the buggies on the loose dirt but it's still an option.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:16 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Sorry - that was confusing. When I said RTR-Kit, I kinda had in mind the Traxxas Slash kit which includes everything you need, but also requires you to build it. That would be ideal, but also seems like the only brand to offer such an option.

There are many RTR's that fit the bill, but I would really prefer to build the cars.

And it's looking like buying a kit + electronics is impossible to keep under $500. That's including transmitter and everything.

I think it will be a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendations.

Nor Cal hobbies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeeKWAbdpHY

We won't race exclusively at this track. We also have a loose dirt track. I think a SCT or Stadium Truck would fare better than the buggies on the loose dirt but it's still an option.
Yeah finding a kit to do those things can be tough for the $500 budget. One thing you could do is standardize on a RTR that fits your needs and just pull them apart. I'd do that anyway as who is to say the guy cranking out how many of those is putting them together with the same attention to detail you are. If you do that, more options do come up.

we ran on black dirt loose track here for awhile before getting our turf with buggies, and used to run 2wd buggies on a 1/8 scale track in the old days was good times, hard thing was finding tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jijWmbhJ4c&t=69s

Vid of the track we did the buggies on (not of the buggies unfortunately but we ran on this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeeJXUbctQ
Old 01-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

You wont find what your list includes only option is Sash. I raced that truck for over 10 years sure it needs modes. steering rack. hubs .shock caps.but the upgrades are endless.chuck works chassis.and many more. ran the slice B on oval with 13.5 setup
Old 01-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get Mini Z and an RCP track.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What are the priorities? If the main priority is cheap, then Slash is it. But it's cheap and nearly bulletproof. I know some guys can break an anvil in a sandbox with a rubber mallet, but I've not seen much breakage in the last few months of racing the stock slash class. Parts are cheap. The local track only allows the tx/rx to be changed, and aluminum shock caps. I've only seen one cap come off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.