Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing >

Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing

Like Tree16Likes

Affordable 1/10th RTR-Kit for spec racing

Old 01-19-2023, 01:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
I highly recommend you just keep it to one make and model of car. The whole point is for the zero-experience people to just show up, drive their cars, have fun, not worry about who has a better car, or what they need to do to "fix" why they are losing all the time, or worry about spending more money because they think they need something someone else has, etc.

Also not sure why you want a kit if 75% of the people have never even driven an RC car, much less built one from scratch. Traxxas kits aren't that hard, but if you have zero experience and don't even know what an ESC or receiver is and have like an 80% chance of probably building the car wrong the first time. Trust me, people have enough problems even getting an RTR to run reliably.

Kits are great once you've had an RTR or two and have taken them apart and put them together a few times.

I get that you want to come up with something that the 25% of experienced people would enjoy, but remember it's the 75% you need to make sure have a good experience, so they keep coming back again and again and last long enough in the hobby to turn into the other 25%.
Very valid points, I like your perspective.

In this case the group of people is all technical/tinkerer type. No kids. So I think the kit is totally doable and part of the 'challenge'. Most will really enjoy it despite not having the experience.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the other hand, assembling a kit with good instructions isn't all that hard. I built my first kit, without ever owning an RTR or anything prior, at the age of about 14...ish.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:44 AM
Tech Lord

Building a car will make maintenance and repairs much easier.
Also when you want to buy 10 kits some discount is possible so going a bit over budget will not be that hard.

You can also look at the Tamiya Neo fighter. can be found RTR for about 250 dollar. Plain car is just about 100 dollar

And the WLtoys 124017 is a very popular car.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So much fun spending other people's money.... 🤑

https://youtu.be/Hgsqx45VLZ0
This guy tried racing a Traxxas Bandit for fun in his local 17.5 buggy class. Ended up catching on now they gave a bandit spec class. With 10 people you can do anything you want, you are your own class. Good luck! Just getting to race something is the majority of the fun so don't get caught up in which car is right or wrong. In my experience when shopping with a budget, if you can't get the best of the best within your budget you need to go for the cheapest option to get your feet wet. That way you can still afford to upgrade since you'll buy twice haha.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Seriously OP, you're way overcomplicating things. Just go with the slash kit. They're insanely well supported at literally every hobby shop in the country, there's limitless aftermarket support for them, and lots of tracks have stock slash classes. In dirt oval racing the 12T mudboss class, which is a slash with a dirt oval body, is huge.

No, it's not the most modern design or highest performance car, but if everyone has the same thing the racing is fun. If some of your friends want to go faster with more race worthy cars they can just go to a regular race day on their own time.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Spec Slash is the easiest to control cost on.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c0brakai View Post
...Yes, I would say 75% have zero driving experience. The remainder are pretty experienced in the R/C realm.

I mean, the Slash unassembled kit fits the bill. It would work fine and is well within budget. The powertrain could be upgraded to brushless later on.
That is why I asked the question of experience ... very important to keep it simple, and select a platform that keeps the vehicle on the track turning laps to keep the fun vs. frustration level at its highest .. if someone doesn't have the desire, or time to build from scratch, a RTR Slash version will give them that option ...
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kevinatfms View Post
Spec Slash is the easiest to control cost on.
Yes it is, and there is always something to tinker with on a Spec Slash to keep performance levels high, without needing to open your wallet ...
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I used to race the Spec Slash class and have a thread here with some tips:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-Setup-Guide

That said, I found it far more expensive to maintain my Slash than my 13.5 wheeler! Traxxas plastic wears fast and all the design flaws will nickle and dime you on constant repairs OR you need to spend money on aftermarket upgrades which defeat the point with all the hidden costs. I had to rebuild the diff on the Slash every single race day because its not sealed and was forced with using a heavier 60K fluid because the optimal 5K fluid would leak too fast

Very rarely did we ever see a single race without 1 Slash breaking with a heat of 10+ drivers. Not uncommon for the on site hobby shop to run out of spares by the second round of racing and folks would come to me to get spares they needed. At first you think "it's only a $5 part, no big deal, but these expenses add up FAST.

I was astonished how much money I saved after I stopped racing the Slash Class

Literally any other modern brand will be better in every way imaginable than the Slash.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you want a truck or buggy? You mentioned some SCT’s, but then mentioned carpet, so I’m assuming you’d be racing at a track with a timing system? Don’t forget to budget for a transponder. Stupid little things will run you $120 (>20% of your budget).

Maybe you guys could all look for used B6.3’s, but then all buy the same ESC and motor? You could probably get close to $500 for a setup.

Are you starting from complete scratch? I have nightmares about losing everything then thinking all the little things from tools, soldering iron, wire, bullet connectors, pit station, setup stuff, transponders, tires, etc…
Old 01-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I used to race the Spec Slash class and have a thread here with some tips:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-Setup-Guide

That said, I found it far more expensive to maintain my Slash than my 13.5 wheeler! Traxxas plastic wears fast and all the design flaws will nickle and dime you on constant repairs OR you need to spend money on aftermarket upgrades which defeat the point with all the hidden costs. I had to rebuild the diff on the Slash every single race day because its not sealed and was forced with using a heavier 60K fluid because the optimal 5K fluid would leak too fast

Very rarely did we ever see a single race without 1 Slash breaking with a heat of 10+ drivers. Not uncommon for the on site hobby shop to run out of spares by the second round of racing and folks would come to me to get spares they needed. At first you think "it's only a $5 part, no big deal, but these expenses add up FAST.

I was astonished how much money I saved after I stopped racing the Slash Class

Literally any other modern brand will be better in every way imaginable than the Slash.
I get what you're saying and agree. That's why I want to give the kit option - I just can't find a way to do a kit for under $500. The Slash Unassembled kit would save so much headache initially. We could even plan on $100 worth of RPM upgrades right off the bat and still be under budget.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

If there is a dirt oval track in your area, makes everything a lot simpler with a Slash ...
Old 01-24-2023, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Pro4 SC10 at 339 seems like an amazing deal assuming you have a 4x4 sct class to race it in.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Slash/Bandit/Rustler can do just fine on the track, without a ton of modifications.
Watch this guy put laps on people with his mostly stock XL-5 (brushed) Bandit while they drive the current gen of cars:
https://youtu.be/9qPedRaa-W4
Old 01-25-2023, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or maybe choose a less disreputable company...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.