Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Thinking About Getting Into 1/8, I Need Advice >

Thinking About Getting Into 1/8, I Need Advice

Thinking About Getting Into 1/8, I Need Advice

Old 01-14-2023, 11:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Thinking About Getting Into 1/8, I Need Advice

It's been a while since I've touched an RC car, about 2 years. College has kept me extra busy. My only experience has come from a 1/10 nitro Slash 2WD, and a 1/10 RC10B6.1. I raced that RC10 for a few months a couple years back.
I also restored a gold pan RC10, but sold it due to a lack of vintage parts.

The idea of 1/8 has been particularly appealing due to the 4WD as well as ride height. I'm looking for something that I can both race on weekends and lightly bash around my campus.

I've been thinking about either the RC8B4e or the RC8T4e. I'm set on Team Associated, as I have all their tooling. Not sure if it transfers over to other brands. I've heard that truggies are more durable than buggies when it comes to bashing, and buggies are more nimble when it comes to racing.

I could definitely use some advice before I pull the trigger on a 1/8 vehicle. Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-15-2023, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I haven't raced the latest version of AE's truggy but the one I raced many years ago was extremely fragile. I've since moved onto a couple other brands and generally buggy is more durable than truggy regardless of brand... only benefit with truggy is the larger tires tend to make it easier to get out of bad situations. so they require less marshaling. lap times also tend to be a pinch faster with truggy.

The truggy class has been hit and miss in my area lately so check turnout in your area... generally buggy is a safe bet to always get a full class going... buggy will be easier to store, especially on tires in a dorm!
Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I’ve seen the Associated and Losi fragile at our track. If you are good, that is a non issue. I have a Mugen and am amazed at the beating it takes.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I'd say if you are also looking to bash, you may want to factor in the type of battery the car uses , by that I mean, a 4S brick pack versus a saddle style setup. Can make it simplier to just charge and go 1 pack versus two, etc. its not major, but some may find it a show stopper.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a tekno et48 2.0. I both race it and is a basher as well. Seems to be holding finw but i do not launch it 20' up in the air. Pair it with schumacher spiral tires and it rips even on tall grass.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Whether you're a seasoned RC car racer or new to the hobby, it's always a great idea to take a few moments and consider all your options before investing in an expensive vehicle. The 1/8 scale RC world has many choices and can be overwhelming for first-time buyers.

If you're looking for something that you can race on weekends and lightly bash around your campus, then the Team Associated RC8B4e and RC8T4e are two great options. Both vehicles offer the awesome 4WD capability and increased ride height of a 1/8 scale model.

The main difference between these two vehicles is that the RC8B4e is a buggy, which means it's more nimble and better suited for racing conditions, while the RC8T4e is a truggy, which means it offers more durability when bashing around.

Before investing in either of these models, make sure to do your research and get more familiar with their features. Furthermore, if possible try to test out each one so you can compare them side by side and decide which one better suits your needs.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:59 PM
Suspended

For bashing ?

Nothing beats Arrma.
The aftermarked hop ups parts is insane, awsome.

Second comes Tekno

Dont buy race brand for bashing, expensive parts and light weight not so strong chassies, no support for aftermarked bash bodies either.

Never let a set of tools make you choose a brand for your rig, very stupid thing. Never hear this before.

Be wise
Buy Arrma or Tekno.
New tools are cheap

https://youtu.be/UMh1JRUQWkk
look at that short video, and forgott T-ASS asap if you want best basher money can give ( Arrma )
Old 02-06-2023, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Its been a long time since i have played around with 1/8th scale so i won't enter the debate about which car to go with, but its probably worth asking the question:

Is there a particular reason the Associated tools are making you want to get an Associated car? Brand loyalty or are you under the impression that Associated tools only work on Associated cars?
Unless Associated have some wacky tools and parts its basically Hex drivers and Nut drivers, which i believe they use 1.5mm / 2mm / 2.5mm etc, so realistically all you need to do is check the manual of the car you are interested in and see what screws / bolts / nuts etc it uses.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:00 AM
Tech Initiate

if your local track has a healthy truggy class I would go with a truggy. the truggy will do way better bashing around campus thanks to the increased ground clearance and larger tires providing a larger footprint. the downside here is the cost of said tires, they will run you about twice as much as buggy tires. electronics will be the same between them save for motor length, make sure to get a proper truggy motor(longer can) if u go that route.