R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   mid range 1/8 buggy choice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/110801-mid-range-1-8-buggy-choice.html)

Lord_Darkhelmet 04-19-2006 05:09 PM

mid range 1/8 buggy choice

Its been a while since I've been into 1/8 buggies but I am looking at getting another one. I'm not a serious racer by any means. Buggy will be used for parking lot bashing and the odd weekend at the track. Price, parts availability and price are the deteriming factors here. So far the picks are:

Ofna Ultra Lx comp or Ultra MBX
XTM -X-terminator

I don't care about radios or starting devices they may come with. A good airtronics radio and high-torgue servos will be used and any pull starts or electric starting junk will be scrapped in favour of a starter box.

Any recomendation of one buggy over the other?

Thanks.

jbrow1 04-19-2006 05:17 PM

I'd probably go with the xtm. I've not heard much about it either way, but I've only ever heard not good things about the ofna ultra series. Personally I'd probably look for a used hyper 7. But I know some guys like new. Parts all over for those suckers and for good prices.

Tabushi 04-19-2006 05:20 PM

Go and buy a Jammin RTR ... thats a lot of buggy for what you want ...

tex1 04-19-2006 06:20 PM

Try this.

Try the Hyper 8. It is $420, comes with all pro level parts and has a pipe and header to boot.
It has proven to be an absolute steal.
Very durable and its track performance is unquestionable.
TEX

kahuna2793 04-19-2006 06:29 PM

For what you want to do OFNA HYPER 7 PCR.

Turbo Joe 04-19-2006 06:36 PM

I'd stay away from the XTM stuff...it's cheesy stuff, but most of all parts aren't readily available at most hobby shops like other brands.

Around here, you can only get XTM parts from Hobby People or on the web under whatever name they're sold under other places around the world.

Another suggestion would be to buy a used high-end buggy. You'd probably end up spending less in the long run, since you'd probably get some spares and you wouldn't need to do as many hop-ups to make it survive.

ChrisP 04-19-2006 07:05 PM

With the new pricing on the XB8R, it may suit your requirements nicely.

Cain 04-19-2006 08:58 PM

CEN Matrix would be a good option. Goes RTR online for around $400 shipped.

SteveJa 04-19-2006 10:46 PM

i would go with the hyper 7 tq sport kit....no motor or electronics........ so you dont wast your money on the cheap stuff the kits come with..... you can get it for about $200...... then just add motor and electronics........

Lord_Darkhelmet 04-19-2006 11:33 PM

Thanks for the input.

I think I'm gonna stick with an Ofna product just for the sake of replacement parts.

Ofna seems to have numerous variations of the same car. Makes things confusing to say the least.

One thing I can't find info about is the Force .26 engine that many of them come with. They seem to be pull-start or electric start only, I cannot find the non-pull backplates for these things.

Is the Ofna 9.5 a fairly new design or has it been out for a while?

flysti 04-20-2006 02:10 AM

if your intension is to race now or in the future i would suggest the jammin x1 cr rtr, & it comes from the same family of cars, exept it's ready to race out of the box. also it comes with a shaft start

SpeedBump57 04-20-2006 05:02 AM

Can't go wrong with the Jammin. ;)

Glowster21 04-20-2006 05:45 AM

I just picked up my first buggy and went with the Ofna Ultra LX 2. It has been solid so far with absolutely no problems. I can hang with the best buggies out there, it is durable, and it's a great starting point at $300 for the whole setup.

M.Cartwright 04-22-2006 08:23 AM

The CEN Matrix is by far the best RTR on the market. It comes with a good Airtronics radio and the Pro kit will be out very soon, so racing support and race minded parts will be easy to get. In fact, all of the pro upgrade parts are now availiable. Add the machined CNC spur gear to the RTR and its good to go.