• 2 Post By jph98
  • 2 Post By Joshstix
  • 1 Post By hanulec

Willspeed RF3 - TLR 5.0 Elite

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default Willspeed RF3 - TLR 5.0 Elite

Prototype shots of the new Willspeed TLR 5.0 Elite conversion kit - for more details keep an eye on:

www.willspeed.co.uk

Willspeed facebook page

Willspeed Instagram

Willspeed Racing Facebook Group
Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Old 11-03-2022, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Shocked that there is no option to run the 22X-4 arms...that seems like quite the oversight. Especially given that most carpet setups start with the 22X-4 arm, and Vision Racing's carbon chassis offers the option for either arm.

I dont doubt Willspeed has their reasons for it, but it is still a surprise.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:10 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

is the RF3 platform going to be what all the other conversions for different cars go to then?

If so, hard to tell, but does the RF3 still lacks quick change diff access like the RF2?
Old 11-04-2022, 02:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Really interesting to see some of the radical changes from the RF2 platform.

Some observations when comparing to the RF2 - note these are just my own personal observations as an existing RF2 owner. I have no affiliation with Willspeed and therefore I don't have any 'insider knowledge' to share, unfortunately.
  • 2-piece chassis design with separate front kick-up section. Aside from the obvious benefit when it comes to crash replacement I guess this would allow optional front sections with differing levels of kick-up.
  • Carbon side rails - maybe to allow varying levels of stiffness, or perhaps just aesthetic?
  • Heavy-duty motor mount - the RF2 motor mount was minimalist by comparison, but I have had one bend in a big crash so a more rigid motor mount is a positive IMO. It's difficult to tell from the images but it looks like this could be mounted to the chassis only, rather than the RF2 design that saw the motor mount primarily mounted to the gearbox, with a secondary (supporting) fixing to the chassis.
  • Redesigned gearbox - Looks like it supports diff height adjustment but perhaps still no quick-access diff.
  • Rear suspension mounts directly to the gearbox, independent of the chassis. Not sure the purpose of this but certainly a novel design. One potential benefit that springs to mind is you could incorporate multiple mounting points for the gearbox and rear suspension sub-assembly that would allow you to increase / decrease the wheelbase very quickly. It doesn't look like that capability is available from these pictures, but it would be an interesting feature none-the-less.
  • Novel rear suspension / wing mount system. This looks really interesting, although it might actually increase the time it takes to carry out a diff swap.
  • Angled underside to chassis edges, presumably to allow more clearance / eliminate 'chassis drag' in high-load corners.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this chassis concept and of course understanding whether this will be rolled out across multiple manufacturer platforms like the RF2 was. One key question that i'm sure is of interest to many racers is what is the weight compared to RF2 / stock manufacturers kit?

Interested to hear other thoughts!
Cain and TheSilverSpider like this.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

I assume the two piece design us mostly to reduce cost to manufacture so that you don't gave to machine down such a thick piece of material for the full length if the chassis. You can start with a thinner piece of stock for the main chassis and only use a small thicker piece of stock for the kick up.
Cain and Headling like this.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

More details will be out soon on the features on the new RF3 Willspeed TLR

The next on the RF3 list will be the Associated B6.4

As to other brands we shall have to see…..
Old 11-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Well, have seen one finally up close and it looks cool, just wish these would have a quick change diff ...
Old 11-23-2022, 12:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

More info on the RF3 now added to the Willspeed UK website including a pre-order.

https://www.willspeed.co.uk/products...5-0-conversion
Old 02-17-2023, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The Willspeed RF3 for TLR is now shipping and in stock
Buckland likes this.