R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   xxx-nt handling (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/110557-xxx-nt-handling.html)

PSiDAWD 04-17-2006 09:40 PM

xxx-nt handling

Finnally took my xxx nt to the local track today. and broke the spindle/hub on the big jump, over shot it and landed on the flats sideways.

Im having a hard time trying to get the car go straight on the dirt. When I get on it, it feels like one wheel has more power then athe other and it just spins out when I get on it. Feels like theres not enough control

what could cause this or should I ease up more on the throttle?

shodaman 04-17-2006 09:53 PM

xxx nt

Check to make sure that your bearings are all smooth. One wheel bearing may be locking up slightly. Next check your differential and make sure it is working properly. Next, make sure nothing is binding anywhere in the driveline during full suspension travel. You should be able to find something that is not equal on each side... one last thing is are both tires equally worn? One tire could be spinning more than the other.. The beauty of gas truck racing is that they are over powered on almost any track conditions.

Aaron Waldron 04-17-2006 11:08 PM

Also...make sure you simply have the right tires for the surface you are driving your truck on. 2wd gas trucks can be hard to control, that's the nature of the game.

If your truck is in good shape (i.e., the diff is working properly and nothing is bound up) it's likely a tire issue.

UNSTABLE 04-17-2006 11:30 PM

Tyres are definately a biggie, the kit tyres work pretty much everywhere I have tried them, but in most situations there may be a better tire to use. Check what the local guns use and you should be o.k.

After checking what Aaron and shodaman mentioned, make sure your shocks are the same length, if it always swings one way first off it may be something to look at.

The main thing I would honestly evaluate first is how you are driving it, and the track conditions and make sure they match. If you run on a dusty hard packed track and are jumping on the gas hard, there is 90% of your problem (barring mechanical and setup glitches).

If you are accelerating from low speed in these conditions (or even from a reasonable pace) you need to gently roll the throttle on. One track I race at is a fairly open, fast, 35 second a lap circuit and on average I hit full throttle for maybe 1 second a lap if I get a good run on to the straight. Most of the time it is a case of nursing it around and controlling your speed to keep momentum up, so you don't have to try and accelerate too quickly.

themanimal 04-25-2006 11:38 AM

If I would have to guess I would say check the folowing:

1. diffs
2. Tires and FOAMS!!!! if its the foams are wet or falling apart put some green panther foams in there.
3. Got carbon rear arms? Make sure they are not getting all loosey goosey. They will change toe-in angles under accelration and cause trouble.
4. If all that doesn't help then I would check your throttle finger. Is it reall twitchy? Does it seem to have only two positions? (i.e. full and off?) If your radio will allow, dial in some exponential to make the throttle a little less sensitive around the neutral of the throttle. (- exponential).

:l

If none of that works, I would start looking for a 1/8th buggy. They actually like being bullied around the track. :)

CaseyP 04-25-2006 01:17 PM

does it do this on the asphalt as well?
check for bent hinge pins and broken cvd or axle pins, as well as the fore mentioned things.

PSiDAWD 05-01-2006 05:29 PM

found the problem. the diff was pretty much dead. With new tires and diff and properly adjusted it ran awesome when I took it out to Hot rod hobbies. I could use a better controler too.

What other tips can you guys suggest to get the truck to perform better.

Aaron Waldron 05-01-2006 06:33 PM

What are you asking for in terms of better performance?

Talk to the owner of Hot Rod Hobbies, Jimmy Babcock. He's a Losi team driver and will most definitely be able to help you with your truck.

PSiDAWD 05-01-2006 09:58 PM

i really want to get the truck to turn better. I got it to go around the track pretty quick according to another guy with a stadium truck but I want more.

I put some shims on to get some slop out. all thats left slopping is my steering. How do you get rid of that?

I definetly want a nice transmitter with better ajustments.

Lastly what is the legal size motor for bigger races?

CaseyP 05-02-2006 12:56 AM

.12 size engine

PSiDAWD 05-02-2006 10:56 PM

Do you guys use the heavier flywheel from MIP? could this help me handle the truck better?

Aaron Waldron 05-02-2006 11:56 PM

I didn't like the heavier flywheel; I just run the stock one.

The slop in the steering won't change how the truck handles on the track..you won't notice it. What are you looking for the truck to do differently? More traction? More steering?

PSiDAWD 05-03-2006 12:30 AM

more traction and more on throttle steering would be nice.

Aaron Waldron 05-03-2006 01:36 PM

Those two things kinda cancel themselves out, don't you think? haha

Try going to long arm in the rear. You'll gain sidebite (more traction), and the truck won't wheelie so bad (more on-power steering). You can also try running weight on the front of the truck...we usually run a Trinity front pivot block because it weighs a little bit more, and you can add a further 1/2 oz from there. That will give you more on-power steering as well. If you desperately need more traction at both ends, you're probably using the front tires.

I typed that assuming it's an AD2...so here's an addendum:

Try messing with anti-squat in the rear of the truck. With the AD1 we usually stuck with three degrees of anti-squat (we run 1 degree on the AD2). You'll need to shim the front of the pivot block up .020" to get three degrees.

PSiDAWD 05-03-2006 02:14 PM

its actually an old xxx nt. got it for dirt cheap.

How do you go with the longer arms in the rear?

also please educate me regarding the effects of antisquat.

thx