Wiki Posts
Search

Slash 4x4 larger tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Slash 4x4 larger tires?

Hey all,
I have recently entered the hobby after being out for about 10+ years, got my son a traxxas slash 4x4 brushed system. I then found myself an emaxx 3908 brushless, like the good ole days lol. but anyways, my son has done a good job of beating up his slash, like hes supposed to do! lol. needs control arms and shocks, nothing major. just trying to decide what I want to do. I want something that he can drive in the grass (cut grass, not tall grass) a little better, because he wants to roam where I do with my emaxx now. I am thinking of purchasing a VLX slash roller, to transfer electronics to, and then to have extra parts as well. and in the future purchase a brushless system for it. in the mean time, does anybody have good luck with slightly larger tires for the slash, either the brushless or brushed set up? with maybe a slightly smaller pinion gear? it seems like a really cool truck, I hate just go buying something bigger every time we want an upgrade lol.

If so, what do you guys recommend? I see the slash has that weird size tire, the inner bead is bigger than the outer. i guess it doesnt have to be that way if the whole wheel was bigger on both beads. Anyways, just looking for something slightly bigger, and wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction, for both the wheels and tires/combo.
thanks everybody!
Old 08-28-2022, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I’ve run 1/8th buggy tires on mine before, with aggressive tires, had zero issues ripping through the grass, you can buy the adapters for under $40 and buy cheapie Amazon 1/8th premounts
Old 08-29-2022, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

OK, cool, thanks for that advice!
yea it is definitely a budget build, nothing that we are racing hard core, and my son is a beginner, he doesnt need anything crazy...yet! lol.
I since learned that the inner bead size on the factory wheels is 3.0". giving it a good rough measurement, some thorough inspection, etc, I have determined that 2.8" should PROBABLY fit with no problem, lol. I was looking at getting him something like these: ebay item number: 224963243792 (it wont let me post links yet!)

anyways, they are 2.8" wheels. with 12mm hex
should bolt right on, if I am not mistaken. any experience or knowledge of whether 2.8" fits ok? starts to get a little close to the knuckle, but I think plenty of room. if not, free return shipping!
Old 08-30-2022, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

1/8 buggy tires should a a little bigger not much, could put hard crawler rims and ties on will give you a bit more clearance or

Something like Duratrax Six-Pack MT 2.8" should fit you all the clearance you need will have to drop 2-3 teeth. Its a bit tire step up. And nit tear you the fress I. The yard. Don't know what off set you need
Old 09-02-2022, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any of the tires that will fit the stampede or hoss will also fit the slash. Only downside is that youll probably go through axles fairly quick.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Big old paddle tires! Great in the snow.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Big ole paddle tires with lifted body and monster slash shell.