R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi downunder23,

I'm no expert too. I think you will need the voltage to run the L sized motors as 7.2V is just too low to make an impact. If you 'only' use 14.4V, I think a hotter motor like the 8L might be more suitable if you want to be competitve among the nitros. Lipos definitely has some advantgaes over Nimh as discharge current is generally higher (good for acceleration) & lighter (should help handling). As for how long the battery will last, I'm not a racer so I cannot really comment on this.

Yes, I think you are right about higher discharge current of Lipos giving more torque & acceleration when compared to Nimh.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : go over to www.rc-monster.com. The forum there is very active on the discussion on brushless things.
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #17
Tech Addict

ok thanks for your help joeling .........know anyone who wants 2 nitro engines with headers and pipes?
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the Feigao 10L runs well on 12 cells. I use one in my e-maxx and I had the same more in my converted 1/8th (prior to selling it). Going higher is voltage is easier on the controller than going higher in current. I would expect to get 6-8 minutes of racing runtime out of the 10L with 3300 batteries. Depending on track size and gearing you may get more. I don't think you would have a problem finishing a 5 min heat race.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #19
Tech Addict

ok thanks im still looking at lipo batteries.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRCaddict
A friend of mine did this with their Hyper 7 PCR and it would eat up spurs like popcorn or in your case vegimite I wouldnt do it, they got 5 minutes of run time and would eat another spur
That was me. We did get it running and it was FAST!!!
We had it set up with a Warrior 9920 ESC and Feigao 540-10L motor on 12 cells. It was very fast and very torquey. That is why it would eat even hardened steel pinions. If I wanted to, I probably could have done more research and found a different center diff or plastic spur.
We sold the buggy chassis and the whole brushless setup is now in my E-Maxx. On the E-Maxx, I fabbed a 1 inch chassis stretch and changed to the GPM chassis that would hold 4 maxamps 4k 6 cell packs. I have them wired in 2 pairs so the total was 14.4 volts at 8000mah. It will flip itself over if anything more than a gentle throttle is applied even with all the extra weight and stretched chassis.

Right after I took those pics, it melted (yes melted) the stock spur gear. I now have a Robinson Racing slipper system in it.
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #21
Tech Addict

speedy dad- how do you think my x-ray xb8 centre diff gear hold up if i use a mod 1 pinion gear and how would it go with out a slipper it would be direct drive from the motor pinion to the spur diff gear.
what would your opinion be? im gonna use a c50 maxx brushless, that worrior esc and two 14.8 volt 4000 mah lipos connected in paralel so it will be 8000 mah and still 14.8 volts.

i have seen conversion with out the slipper clutches on the centre spur it should be ok wont it?

should i use a plastic spur?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats really hard to say whether running a slipper or not will be bad. There will be no "safety" link between the incredibly torquey motor and the rest of the drivetrain.

As far as using a plastic (non-metal) spur, that would be good. Metal on metal contact is bad.

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 04-19-2006 at 08:16 PM.
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

www.rcmonster.com

they have alot of help, me and my step-dad are doing a G_maxx, all we need is the G3 suspension,

but yeah, ithink they have a form on this
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi Downunder,
Read your posts and I have some input for you. I have converted a Kyosho K3, Ofna Hyper 7 and Hyper 8, and a Mayhem. So I do have a little experience. I have tested the following motors and controllers:
Novak Hv system
Shultze controllers (several including uforce and 18.149)
Bk controller and motor
Feigao motor
Neu motors
Quark Controller
MGM Controller
So as you can see I have a broad range to base my suggestions off of.

First off, Metal spurs are not the best choice as you heard they eat pinions. Try to use a kyosho or Ofna diff and retro fit it to your car and then use a kyosho plastic spur gear(will fit on both diffs) part# IF148 available at Kyosho America if you call them. I personally like to convert either a hyper or a Kyosho so that it makes things easier with this step, but if you are set on converting another, you will just have to do some mod's. The other choice is to get a hardened pinion, which I have not personally tried, but I hear it will last a while. Plastic spur's last a long time if gear mesh is proper and they cost around $7US, so very reasonable.

Second, I would definatley recommed Lipo's, don't even bother with the nihm, unless you just want to Bash around in your yard. Here is a link to a place that has awesome deals on lipo's and they help to make it a little more affordable. http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=38743.678854
Order 2 2s2p 6000mah packs and wire them in series to give you a 4s4p pack. This is the proper voltage to run with an 1/8 scale buggy. It will be plenty of power and should get you close to 15min's of run time.

Next, the power system.... This is a little more complexed. I read where you are trying to figure what kv to get. Pesonally I like torque for 1/8 buggies, I have tried rpm motors and I just don't like them. This has more to do with the poles of the motor than the kv though. It is good to understand about kv, but it is more about what works in the real world, not on paper. Kv will get you in the ballpark if you understand it, but it doesn't always get you the best motor. That is why I like to try what others are saying work well. If you want to tell me what you plan on doing with it, I can better give you a suggestion. Are you going to race it at a track against nitro's or are you just planning on bashing around your yard with it?
Cspurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #25
Tech Addict

yeah i plan on racing it against the nitro's so i need a good system.
i sent a mail to chris fine at fine design and he recomended a nemisis blue xlt-4 brushless motor with a bk 9920/c controller. i guess the lipo's will be good but they are to expensive........
Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

nice stuff! am thinking of converting my MBX4 to EP too.
Blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote