Wiki Posts
Search

MF2 racers using Orion Revolution V2 12x2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default MF2 racers using Orion Revolution V2 12x2

I want to ask MF2 racers who are using a Orion Revolution V2 12x2 what gearing they are using.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

18-86 tight indoor hard packed track
Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Try 25/78 thats what I would run.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tyreman
Try 25/78 thats what I would run.
Are you sure you are recomending gearing for a stadium truck? That's the tallest gearing I've ever heard of.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

TyreMan-Please watch out and pay attention when giving advice to someone else on gearing motor's.You gave this person gearing for a BUGGY and not a Truck.Your buggy gearing is still quite TALL for most american tracks.
If he didnt ask for more info he would be burning up a motor.

Losi SuperTruck-OutlawPro is correct with his 18.
You wanna gear a Offroad Truck at 5-8 over the wind of the motor.
What OVER the WIND means is how many teeth on the pinion OVER the amount of the WIND on the motor.
So 12 turn motor 5 over the wind would be a 17 tooth pinion
12 turn 8 over would be a 20 tooth pinion
The question to ask is this.Outlaw again is correct with his 86/18 on a tight track.You would usually gear 5-6 over the wind if the track is tight and smaller in size.If it's a really BIG track and the infield section of the track is kinda fast as well then you may wanna try 7,or 8 over the wind.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TexRacer; 01-06-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

TexRacer, thats exactly what I was looking for Man, a few more hours and I would have been at the track trying out that 25\78
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TexRacer
TyreMan-Please do EVERYONE a favor.When your trying to give advice to someone ELSE please make sure you have the Knowledge YOURSELF before trying to give it to others.With that gearing that you provided you would probally be oweing someone a motor.So again please if you DONT know what your talking about(Obviously you dont) then please refrain from telling someone else YOUR mistakes or bad advice.
(Im teasing a lil Tyreman but please dont share ADVICE if you dont know what your talking about).

Losi SuperTruck-OutlawPro is correct with his 18.
You wanna gear a Offroad Truck at 5-8 over the wind of the motor.
What OVER the WIND means is how many teeth on the pinion OVER the amount of the WIND on the motor.
So 12 turn motor 5 over the wind would be a 17 tooth pinion
The question to ask is this.Outlaw again is correct with his 86/18 on a tight track.You would usually gear 5-6 over the wind if the track is tight and smaller in size.If it's a really BIG track and the infield section of the track is kinda fast as well then you may wanna try 7,or 8 over the wind.

Hope this helps.
I know exactly what I am talking about as part of the UK Losi team
and on that gearing it takes a little of the motors bottom end and makes it more driveable I have even used that gearing to good effect with a Peak V2 10x2 on dirt.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

what about a BK2?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Tyreman-There is NO way as a Ex Motor builder and racer for 12+ yrs I would recommend someone gearing over 13 teeth in truck.Unheard of.
Maybe YOUR tracks like that but not here in the states.Sorry.
Anyone I know in the motor industry being Mike Reedy,Oscar,Rick Howart,Jim Dieter and others would NEVER and I mean NEVER tell someone to gear a truck motor 13 teeth over.
Maybe you thought it was buggy and not truck since you guys dont run alot of TRUCK over there. If this is true and you thought he was talking about truck then it's a honest mistake.

So while you may run this for some weird reason DO NOT recommend this to others.VERY BAD IDEA.
(Like I said I was teasing a lil but im backing that up with alot of Knowledge).
P.S.Losi makes CARS not motor's.lol.Im simply playing but take it however you want.Just dont tell someone to gear a truck motor 13 over.

Bk2 would be 7-12 over the wind.
Smaller pinion would be for tighter layouts and the bigger the layout I would test BIGGER pinions.
12 turn 11 over would be a 23 tooth pinion.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by TexRacer; 01-06-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

tyreman, you must be talking about the bk2 with a 72 tooth spur gear. I never heard anyone running a 72 tooth spur in a truck. 86 tooth comes stock in a truck. I have run a 25/72 in my bk2 with a stock motor. I am running a 12/2 Checkpoint motor in my truck geared at 18/86 for a tight track.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

The advice I gave is based on how I run with regard to gearing and the gearing that I gave is what I use in my BK2 but also in my MF2 as well, as I run the 78 spur in both cars. I accept that I don't race on dirt/clay anywhere as much as you guys but the gearing should still be fairly universal across the board as both cars have the same internal ratio, I know there will undoubtedly be a difference with the larger wheels and tyres but not to the extent of dropping 6-7 teeth on the pinion size.

Hope this will clear up a few things from previous posts in this thread.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

I just got done racing and I tried the 17,18, and 19 pinions with the 12x2. I just might step up to a 21 or 22. Just didn't seem to have any punch and took a while to get up to speed on the straight. For the main I put my 19T orion back in (I was too slow with the 12x2 ) geared at 22/86 and it has allot more punch and was much faster on the straight. What am I doing wrong with the 12x2?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

what type of track were you running on? My friend went to a 20/86 last night and it seemed to work pretty well for him.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

LosiSuperTruck-What your finding out is what everyone else that has ran these motor's know.They dont have alot of punch in offroad unless you go heavier springs and a different brush.
They are literally a wind or more off when it comes to offroad it seems like.
I can run Reedy Kr's,Ti's,Orion Core Mods,Integy or Corally motor's and they all have alot more punch than the Orion's do in stock form for OFFROAD.

Gearing it higher like tyreman stated smoothes out the motor and LOOSES punch.Usually gearing lower will increase punch.

Which V2 do you have.There are some with smaller comms and are RPMish style motor's.This could be a reason.If this is the matter then a stiffer spring and maybe a enduro style brush may be needed.
Your 19 turn is strong due to being a element Im guessing with standard laydown brushes and silver springs.You may have the V2 element but with your questioning im thinking it's a standard Element which are great offroad motor's.
Something you may try as well.Gear it 17 again and reset your esc.While this may sound funny sometimes it's the esc.
If this doesnt work let us know what V2 your running and Joe at Peak/Orion can offer you a spring/brush combo.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

LosiSuperTruck

For the MF2 its best to gear 7/8 teeth over the wind with the stock spur gear using the Orion Revolution Motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.