R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
BG
Tech Addict

Default Losi tyres whats happened to them?????

Well most guys that I know have been trying to buy Losi tyres for months now and the majority of the Losi range has been on back order.
What has happened to the Losi brand? What is Horizon doing at their headquarters? Where is Jill Losi these days? Does he have any input into the Losi brand anymore since it was sold? WTF is going on? I have emailed Horizon 20 billion times for a response but i have received nothing.
Why did they ever sell the company?

Cheers

BillyG
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

one problem is Horizon. since they sell to the public once the tires come in they can fill orders from people like you and me then they send the rest to the hobby shops. IMO this is a very bad way to sell. if you need tires like tapers try panther. they have great tires
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
Well most guys that I know have been trying to buy Losi tyres for months now and the majority of the Losi range has been on back order.
What has happened to the Losi brand? What is Horizon doing at their headquarters? Where is Jill Losi these days? Does he have any input into the Losi brand anymore since it was sold? WTF is going on? I have emailed Horizon 20 billion times for a response but i have received nothing.
Why did they ever sell the company?

Cheers

BillyG
Hey Billy.

You should try contacting the australian distributors in adelaide, model flight ( o'reily model products) and see what they can do for you, make sure you ask for Tim. There has been a supply problem but that is changing, or at least it is here

Glenn
Mr-s413bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Tech Legend

losi Tire thing is so bad at my track ....

When a shipment arrives, everyone buys multi sets and they save um for later...

the next day ? shipment all gone !

We can`t count on seeing another shipment like we use too, the local tracks are big loser`s also missing their sales .....

only gona hurt losi in the long term by forcing the racer to buy other brand tires ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It happens every year....in the warmer months everyone needs red compound so they wait untill then and all the shops (and big races) order what they need. Then in the cooler months everybody is indoor and they need pink compound so the shops (and races) order what they need, only to find out they are all back ordered. If the shops ordered what they need far in advance this would not be the case. This happens at my local shops every year, everybody needs everything at once and they can't keep up.

TLR / Team Orion / Spektrum / AKA / TEKIN / Horizon Hobby / upgrade rc / AVID / SCH / SPY / HAL'S HOBBY WAREHOUSE
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I tried to get some Buggy Rear step pins. Losi has discontinued them
IFMAR studs are the most aggresive thing they have now. On a lose loamy track the step pins are the best thing to have. A set of step pins will last me over a year, so I understand they don't sell that many sets, compared to tapers, that can get burned up in as little as a few runs on certin tracks. Just because they don't sell that many step pins dose'nt mean they should discontinue them. They should keep a wide varity in the product line so they have a tire that will work on most any track. Now I'm going to have to switch to Panther or Proline.
1 Xtreme R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:39 AM   #7
Tech Elite

"Just because they don't sell that many step pins dose'nt mean they should discontinue them."

Actually, that's a perfect reason to discontinue them. It's pointless to shoot a couple sets of tires per year for the ten people that buy them every year.

On a loose and loamy track, try Big Shots or IFMAR Pins.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Or better yet, buy tires from other manufacturers and let Losi see the problem. I wonder if they thought discontinuing the Step Pin was because the Step Pin tracks are dead, they aren't, maybe their customers are tired of waiting on Pink Tapers and have begun boycotting Losi Tires all together.

Good news is Panther makes some great tires, and used to make/mold the Losi tires, so you know they know their stuff.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror
Or better yet, buy tires from other manufacturers and let Losi see the problem. I wonder if they thought discontinuing the Step Pin was because the Step Pin tracks are dead, they aren't, maybe their customers are tired of waiting on Pink Tapers and have begun boycotting Losi Tires all together.

Good news is Panther makes some great tires, and used to make/mold the Losi tires, so you know they know their stuff.

Yup, not delivering the goods is working for losi ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
J_P
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Xtreme R/C
Losi has discontinued them
Just because they don't sell that many step pins dose'nt mean they should discontinue them. They should keep a wide varity in the product line so they have a tire that will work on most any track.
ProLine is bad about that also. It would be nice if we all had the hard packed tracks of Cali, or Arizona. Here in the Mid-Atlantic. There is some funky red clay, sandy mixture that no tire works. So you pull a box of at least 20 sets, both brands, many compounds, and start trying. A few times, some tire that has been discontinued for several years works very well.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I race on the same tracks that 1xtreme does, and the Losi step pin is the best of all step pin type tires to use on most of these tracks. I usually go through 4 pair a season between my 2mod and 4mod. These tracks are loose natural dirt type tracks. We're not talking duff, the cars actually build natural berms up to a foot high during a day of racing on some of these tracks. I've tried IFMAR pins, but always end up using the silver steps.

Looks like they just lost most of their Inland Northwest customers.
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Tech Elite

If the tire works that well, write Losi and tell them that you want your step pins! There's no better way to advocate change than to go to the source.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I find Losi's decision to discontinue the step-pin tread a bit of a paradox. First, aren't they redesigning the XXX so that it will work better on bumpy, rutted, loose tracks? Why spend all of that money and time evolving the car for a type of track and then throw out the tire that best represents what it needed for those situations? It would be like getting rid of tapers, x-2000's, and sprints when they first released the XXX...

Oh well.. glad Pro-line isn't as short-sighted..
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Short-sighted isn't a very fair term...you gotta make business decisions based on what's good for the whole company.

Losi is making steps towards making their buggy platform better on ALL tracks, not just step-pin style tracks.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Actually, it's a VERY fair term. Explain why the only 1/8th scale tire they make is a steppin, yet they won't produce them for 1/10th scale vehicles...
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote