Losi tyres whats happened to them?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi tyres whats happened to them?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Because there's a big market for one and not the other?

Losi will have other 1/8th scale tire designs before too long, don't worry.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Explain why the only 1/8th scale tire they make is a steppin, yet they won't produce them for 1/10th scale vehicles...
Probably because 95% of 1/8th offroad tracks out there use a larger-lug tire - Crime Fighters, panther Komodo's, knuckles, etc etc. Those pro-line inside job's (1/8) would not only A) never work on my home track, but B) last about 42 seconds if they did.

How many 1/8th scale tracks where you live could use Taper Pins or BK Bars? It's all relative to size and power.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So let me get this straight... if a track requires 1/8th scales to use step-pins to hook up, I won't have the same option to hook up in 1/10th? Right. Newsflash- some tracks run both scales on the same track. Face it... Losi's making a huge f'-up with this decision. There may not be a market for them in so-cal, but almost every track I've ever raced on in the southeast has needed them at one time or another. (rain, over-watering, regular track conditions, whatever...)

As for the size and the power being the reason.. want to explain why they still make step-pins for the mini-t....?

Honestly, the only viable reason I can possibly see for discontinuing the current 1/10th buggy step-pin is if they're redesigning it with a 2.2" carcass vs the old 2.0" carcass that it's used since the 80's.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmmm...

Well, I just looked on Losi's website and they are still listed as available. I'll have to have my local shop check to see if they may have been discontinued, or are just temporarily unavailable. I'm sorry for jumping the gun on this. I guess I'm just used to r/c companies discontinuing stuff I use, so I assumed the worst when I saw xtreme's earlier post.

If anyone knows the "official" word on this, feel free to enlighten us.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
How many 1/8th scale tracks where you live could use Taper Pins or BK Bars? It's all relative to size and power.
Tons, we have guys sticking the Pink tapers on 1/8th scale buggies and they are the best for the track. The pink taper is the answer for the track no matter the vehicle.

Panther just released Taper pin design for 1/8th scalers...forward thinking.

Sure they wear out fast, but competition is fierce so spending money on Pink Tapers is the answer.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by binaryterror
Panther just released Taper pin design for 1/8th scalers...forward thinking.
if your talking about panther switches they have been out a while....at least a year
Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by All The Way
if your talking about panther switches they have been out a while....at least a year
No I'm talking about the new Clay compound Switch 2.0's: http://www.pantherteam.com/index.php...roducts_id=249
Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
As for the size and the power being the reason.. want to explain why they still make step-pins for the mini-t....?
because when my brother chases the neighborhood cats with his mini-t, he wants tires that have traction, and last longer than 42 seconds people arent going to buy a mini-t taper pin tire, when they could just buy slicks. Thats not the point - I understand where you are coming from, but if you look at a majority of the national/regional 1/8th races (why i said 95% binaryterror), they're using a larger lug tire, and it's typically on a blown out, or will blow out, track where even 1/10th trucks have a hard time. I know where you're coming from - I didn't want Toyota to discontinue the Supra. Unfortunately, they didn't listen to me, and even if i had bought the 109th one they sold in 1998, i dont think that woulda pushed the sales past the Camry that year.

conversly - like Casey said above - Losi can not keep Pink tapers or Red BK Bars instock, because that is what everyone, or 95% of the 2wd racing population in the US is using right now, or stocking up on. That is the biggest class at every regional/national elec offroad race - SW, Midwest, NE, and i believe they ran BK Bars at the Losi race last weekend. I know what you're gonna say - come to the SE and run on your tracks. But even at the worlds at minnreg in '03, i personally thought my 4wd was dialed on the wet, WET, track with M3 holeshots. have you tried any other tire like Aaron mentioned - big shot/ifmar pin, when the tracks are over watered, rained on, etc?

1 Xtreme R/C & DP - They're in stock here

Last edited by Lars Johnson; 04-15-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

I've never been to a "loamy" real dirt track where IFMAR Pins didn't work..in fact, if you tell a lot of the factory Losi guys (at least the ones I've talked to about it...haha) that the race is at a loamy track, the first tire they will reach for is the IFMAR Pin.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stormer Hobbies is who told me the Buggy step pins were discontinued. So if this information is wrong, I appoligize for passing it along. I just figured a shop that size would know if they can't get something anymore.

If they are discontinued, I will write Losi like Aaron sugested and see if we can talk them into making them again. I realy like the tire and want to keep runing them.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You want the truth, go to the source.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA7378S

Seems like the 2.0 step pin in silver compound is in stock at Horizon and is NOT listed as discontinued.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Hello racers

I have fantastic news. I have received an email from Horizon which they inform me that they are on to the problem as we speak. Since the popularity of the x2000 is so high they have increased there work staff numbers to meet the demand and place excess stock on the shelves so that they can minimise this problem. It is a tyre of choice for many tracks and controlled tyre meetings. We hope in the future there is more then enough stock available.

Cheers

BillyG
Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by binaryterror
No I'm talking about the new Clay compound Switch 2.0's: http://www.pantherteam.com/index.php...roducts_id=249
didn't know they came out with a new version...
I cut the outer row off to look like that anyway
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I must say I agree losi step pins are awesome, imo prolines steppins are not even close to the losi's as far as traction. I agree here in the mid atlantic losi step pins rule for gas and electric truck. I also agree try running taper pins on the soil we run on, come on losi!!! Must say thou you guys 1/8 should be awesome. I understand they have the silver compund but what about red
Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

I know team guys have been able to order Red 1/8th scale tires (look at the pictures of Jukka's 8ight, it has red step pins on).

Matt Howard and BillyG - Excellent detective work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.