R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers
Have you ever tried to put RC nitro in your REAL car's gas tank? I put 2 quarts of Odonell 30% in with some SUPER unleaded gas in my dad's Z.....I noticed a difference....very suttle, but it was there. And the exhaust smelled a bit different....
Yeah...you noticed a DECREASE in performance unless you re-mapped the injection and massively increased the fuel delivery.

Methanol has (roughly) half the "heat content" of gasoline so the quantity pumped through is (roughly) doubled to make the same power. Advantages--that much higher quantity of fuel being pumped through has a cooling effect ON ENGINES TUNED TO RUN ON IT.

Further...the oil content (technically non-burnable) would serve to lean the mixture of what fuel WAS being passed.

Nitromethane is present to create more oxygen in the combustion process as it breaks down. More oxygen w/o more fuel sent to take advantage equals FURTHER leaning of mixture.

Yeah the exhaust would smell different. So would YOUR exhaust if you drank the stuff.

End result...gasoline (even $3/gallon gasoline) is way cheaper AND better performing. Stick with it and save the O'Donnel for your buggy.

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

before i took advantage of that engine replacement plan traxxas has, i put the worn 2.5 through lots of punishment, and then , i actually tried to have it run with weed eater fuel (gasoline&oils) , but it didnt work. i couldnt get it to start. so, i decided as the last thing to do to my engine before replacing it, was to put sand IN the carburator, at high throttle. it tried, and i heard scheeeeeeeeeeeeeeerererrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . it was still running, for a few seconds, then it died. LOL, i cleaned it up, and took it to the hobbyshop to get another 2.5r. when i am about to get another engine, i think i will videotape it! lol
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Yeah...you noticed a DECREASE in performance unless you re-mapped the injection and massively increased the fuel delivery.

Methanol has (roughly) half the "heat content" of gasoline so the quantity pumped through is (roughly) doubled to make the same power. Advantages--that much higher quantity of fuel being pumped through has a cooling effect ON ENGINES TUNED TO RUN ON IT.

Further...the oil content (technically non-burnable) would serve to lean the mixture of what fuel WAS being passed.

Nitromethane is present to create more oxygen in the combustion process as it breaks down. More oxygen w/o more fuel sent to take advantage equals FURTHER leaning of mixture.

Yeah the exhaust would smell different. So would YOUR exhaust if you drank the stuff.

End result...gasoline (even $3/gallon gasoline) is way cheaper AND better performing. Stick with it and save the O'Donnel for your buggy.

Scottrik

I think you may be a little misled there.... first if the vehicle is already a flex fuel vehicle (like my Explorer) then you CAN run a nitro mix (as long as it isn't very much)with no damage.

Second- Nitromethane produces More power at a slight sacrifice of fuel efficiency because methanol burn at a Lower temperature with less emissions. So the engine will actually run cooler......

BTW: your big mistake was saying that NITRO doesn't produce the power that Gasoline does..... I mean C'mon top fuel dragsters are pushing 3-5000 HP and they run on 90% nitro and the rest of the mixture is alcohol (ethanol or methanol) based..... Don't tell me your 4 banger civic is pushin' anywhere near 1500-2500 HP on pump gas!!!

DOH!!!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

Speaking of gas prices, i have been thinking. If we boycot the gas stations atleast one day a week, and dont buy any gas and i know this will be hard,but the oil companys will feel a big hit in there pockets. I have been thinking about send out a mass email to encourge this. I know it may not help, but it was just a thought. And gas prices will really have a effect on R/C racing for me because my local track is only about 45min from where i live, but the other tracks i race at are about 2-3hours away. At $3.09 a gallon now, and race season hasnt even really kicked off yet, i will feel in my r/c pocket..but oh well, you got to give a little to have a great race day by the way....lol..nitro fuel isnt gas.lol
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR
I think you may be a little misled there.... first if the vehicle is already a flex fuel vehicle (like my Explorer) then you CAN run a nitro mix (as long as it isn't very much)with no damage.

Second- Nitromethane produces More power at a slight sacrifice of fuel efficiency because methanol burn at a Lower temperature with less emissions. So the engine will actually run cooler......

BTW: your big mistake was saying that NITRO doesn't produce the power that Gasoline does..... I mean C'mon top fuel dragsters are pushing 3-5000 HP and they run on 90% nitro and the rest of the mixture is alcohol (ethanol or methanol) based..... Don't tell me your 4 banger civic is pushin' anywhere near 1500-2500 HP on pump gas!!!

Remember, first read and comprehend what was ACTUALLY written...THEN comment.

I didn't make reference to glow fuel "damaging" anything, flex fuel or otherwise. I was commenting on his (mis)perception that he'd somehow increased the power in his daddy's car. Which he did not. Yes, computer controlled ignitions and injection systems can easily deal with the amount of relative lean-ness induced by the oil content of the glow fuel added or the additional oxygen generated by the break down of the nitromethane. I'm not misled in the least nor have I misled.

I also didn't once say nitro doesn't provide the power gasoline does. I clearly stated that METHANOL does not, and in like-for-like volumes it does not.

Your middle paragraph seems to mix arguments, though I may be mistaken. You make reference to nitromethane reducing overall fuel efficiency because methanol burns at a lower temp. I'm guessing you are referring to a nitro/methanol mix (as what we run for glow fuel) as they are definitely two different compounds. Yes, methanol releases less heat than gasoline when a like quantity is burned, but what happens (ala CART or IRL cars, and I'm sure dragsters) is they pump a LOT more of it through (roughly double for CART cars) to regain that combustion heat which is what makes-a da power. The advantage methanol provides to cool components (and incoming mixture to enhance density, and...) is the sheer volume of it that is present serves to cool things off by hosing them down.

Don't drive a Civic (or anything else with 4-cylinders), but nothing I drive makes anywhere near 1500hp (much less 2500) either, so I guess it's a wash.

Speaking of comparisons--the little glow motors we use are pretty amazing power producers. Granted they are two-cycle which gives them an advantage in that regard but look at the numbers. A strong normally-aspirated 4-cycle engine produces 100hp/liter. The motor in my buggy is rated right at 2.5hp from 3.5cc which seems right about average for mass-produced non-massaged glow motors. That is over 700hp per liter. Wow.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by layedbackguy
Speaking of gas prices, i have been thinking. If we boycot the gas stations atleast one day a week, and dont buy any gas and i know this will be hard,but the oil companys will feel a big hit in there pockets. I have been thinking about send out a mass email to encourge this. I know it may not help, but it was just a thought. And gas prices will really have a effect on R/C racing for me because my local track is only about 45min from where i live, but the other tracks i race at are about 2-3hours away. At $3.09 a gallon now, and race season hasnt even really kicked off yet, i will feel in my r/c pocket..but oh well, you got to give a little to have a great race day by the way....lol..nitro fuel isnt gas.lol
This plan doesn't work...not buying gas on Tuesday and then buying what you didn't buy Tuesday on Wednesday (or Thursday, or...) has ZERO net effect on the oil companys.

Not to sound like a "greenie" but the only way to impact the oil companies along these lines is to not only not BUY gas for a day...you have to not USE gas for a day. THEN they would see an actual decrease in sales. Keep in mind, just like delaying buying gas...if you don't drive for the day on Wednesday but then spend all day Thursday making the trips you "would have" on Wednesday similarly renders the effort moot. You have to not make the trips--reducing net consumption. Postponing buying or postponing trips makes no effect on net useage.

Scottrik
Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layedbackguy
LOL, lets have the boston gas party, and have "no gas without representation", lol.
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote