R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default LOSI MINI-T pro vs ASSOC FT RC18T

What is the Better one. What one is easier to get parts for Which one has the best reputation. I can get the
LOSI MINI-T pro for $190 AUS
ASSOC FT RC18T for $299 AUS

PLEASE REPLY
Hicksey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Also can you put normal radio gear and ESC's in them.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to glassman50
Cool mini-t vs rc18t

The RC18T seems to have more of a following than the Mini-T. It seems to be built a little stronger. One thing to check on where you are is parts availability. Another place to look for good info on these is http://www.one18th.com
That site is for all 18th scale rc's. A lot of good info there. I have both and like the RC18T better because of the 4 wheel drive. Better cornering and more positive feel to the handling. Good luck with which ever you choose they are both fun trucks and a lot cheaper to fix if you do break something than the 10th scale trucks are.
glassman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RWD vs. FWD
apples vs. oranges

They are both excellent, now all you have to decide is do you want rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. Hint: all wheel drive is easier to master.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

Hi,

we race both Asso's and Losi's on our track in Holland. The difference between the two around a lap is very little. The Asso's biggest advantage is obviously 4WD giving it high cornering speeds and acceleration. The Losi seems to handle better on our track and seems to be easier to drive on carpet (with very high grip). The Asso's feels to hook (rear end overtaking the front end) which is very difficult to drive with.
The out-of the box motor from the Associated seems to be a little quicker than Losi's motor. You can make the Losi as quick by adding a Graupner Speed 300 at a price of only 10 USD. If you feel like buying a brushless anyway, you probably don't give a *** about that.

The Asso's need some more attention to the drivetrain than the Losi. We race under dusty conditions which enters the Asso's drivetrain. The Losi is a little more protected to that because of the closed tanny. I searched the internet for an undertray for the RC18T, and I found one at Ebay. For the price of 5 USD you can get a better protected RC18T, which I would like to advice you if you're not so much into doing maintenance...

These things made me decide to buy a Mini-T Pro. First of all, I think it's cool because it's a rescaled 1:10 XXX-T. The drivetrain is better protected and it handles better (at least on our track, doing no essential setup changes).

Nevertheless, the Associated is a lovely car as well and will be able to accelerate quicker and cornering speeds are way better (it's 4WD in the end...). Most negative thing about the Asso is that the drivetrain is open, allowing dirt to enter the gears easily. The Asso is a more popular car here in Holland, due to availability and the best value ready-to-run package.

Greetz and succes with your choice!

Michael
Holland
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

Forgot to mention the Mini-T can easily make wheelies... Pretty cool!
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

I have owned both truck and in my opinion (dont know about eny body else) the FT RC18T is way better.
  • ball diffs
  • 4WD (hooks up well)
  • takes better to mod motors
  • comes in 3 different choices to suit any body
Just my 2c
Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Tech Regular

but can you put normal sized radio gear and ESC's in them.