Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

**NEW to the RC community**

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default **NEW to the RC community**

What's up guys im new to the whole RC world and had a few questions if anyone could help me out?!
-thoughts on the new sledge that came out, just bought one and it seems like a beast.
-having trouble deciding what lipo's to run..running two lectron pros 3s, can only get about 20 min of run time with full power before it goes to 50% power is that because the vxl6 is getting too hot???
Old 04-12-2022, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCdilla
What's up guys im new to the whole RC world and had a few questions if anyone could help me out?!
-thoughts on the new sledge that came out, just bought one and it seems like a beast.
-having trouble deciding what lipo's to run..running two lectron pros 3s, can only get about 20 min of run time with full power before it goes to 50% power is that because the vxl6 is getting too hot???
Welcome to the hobby, not sure what run time people normally get bashing (us racers can only focus for 5 minutes races and sometimes that is a struggle) but 20 minutes sounds OK. It might be worth getting another battery if you want to run longer, I am sure someone will be along to help with specifics.

Enjoy.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Welcome to the hobby!

Most of the active members on the forums here are club racers, so expect to get feedback that may cater more toward a race oriented response.

I'm not familiar with the Sledge, but after some research I see that's a relatively new offering from TRAXXAS as a 1/8 Monster Truck. I went to the product page but they don't provide any information about the motor can size, only that it's 2000KV. Typically 1/8 truck motors are 4274 cans so I'm going to base my opinion on the 1/8 Truggy standard where most club racers are running 4S Lipo and averaging around 15 min of race time where most 1/8 tracks put a lot of stress on the electronics. I also see that they are marketing the Sledge for 6S which can explain why you're getting an extra 5 min run time due to the improved efficiency of higher voltage and capacity.

That said they do provide the following battery tray specs:

Narrow configuration (L/W/H): 181mm x 50mm x 29/37/45mm*

Wide configuration (L/W/H): 160mm x 57mm x 29/37/45mm*

I would keep this in mind when shopping around for spare batteries.

If you invest in a quality battery and charger, you can theoretically charge your spare battery in the same amount of time it takes to drain the other pack so you can potentially run back to back.

I just want to caution that you want to keep an eye on your temps and consider letting the motor cool down between packs so you don't cook your electronics, more info here:

If you decide to upgrade to a better charger, some info to consider here are well:
Good Luck!
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

your not going to get anymore than 20 out any packs 50% is the low voltage kicking in time to recharge batts
Old 04-13-2022, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep. What he said. Our lhs sold out of them in a week. 10 of them gone to good homes. The feedback is positive. Runtime is varied obviously but yeah, no more than 20 minutes...if that
Old 04-13-2022, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCdilla
New to the hobby and your first rig is a beastly 1/8 truggy that you are running on 6S. That is jumping right into the deep end!

Take care with the truck. It is so new parts supply is still catching up. So, don't beat up on it too hard right off the bat!

Keep an eye on the spur/pinion gear mesh. I've seen it mentioned that the motor mount can slip and strip out those gears on hard chassis hits.