• 1 Post By mossman2
  • 4 Post By Ninetyeight740

Racing maintenance/fluid changes/upkeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 01:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Racing maintenance/fluid changes/upkeep

So for you guys who are weekend racers, I’m looking to get some input and advice… I’m entering the race world from casual bashing and want to keep my cars in top condition.

How often are you guys changing shock fluid/diff fluid/etc? And then how often are you rebuilding shocks and diffs?

Anything else I need to be upkeeping or rebuilding on a regular basis?

Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Most I race with will do shock/diffs between every race. A few will empty and refill shocks between every round. I try to keep a weekly schedule.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know everyone wants to focus on fluids, but I have found that most of the issues are items loosening up. Take the time to clean and loctite items, go over all the screws between races.

Stripped screws into plastic, loose screws in aluminum and lock nuts loosening up, I even had a motor screw (the long one that holds the can together) come loose on my sons cars. Clean surfaces and loctite are your friend!

good luck!

Nineball likes this.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mossman2
I know everyone wants to focus on fluids, but I have found that most of the issues are items loosening up. Take the time to clean and loctite items, go over all the screws between races.

Stripped screws into plastic, loose screws in aluminum and lock nuts loosening up, I even had a motor screw (the long one that holds the can together) come loose on my sons cars. Clean surfaces and loctite are your friend!

good luck!
this and check your wear items and damages to critical suspension components. Better to catch a dnf before it happens and get the track time. Dirty shock fluid won’t end your race early. For me though, monthly car tear down which is probably 20-30 battery packs through the car.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Huh... I have one serious race car (Euro truck barely counts as a race car), my drag car. Technically, it sees very little track time (<3second passes, maybe a dozen total for a race day? Literally, minutes of runtime). I really only do seasonal maintenance, and only if I've noticed something change. A wreck definitely leads to a degree of teardown and inspection. Shock oil gets changed more frequently for tuning than for keeping it fresh. I thought I'd beat up my diff oil more, but my 2.5mil still feels plenty thick.

I should probably have a transmitter in my hand more than a hex driver, but I do like me some wrenching. I guess a childhood of Lego and model kits made me more content with building than most. That said, I'm neglecting some maintenance on my bashers. If racers are changing out fluids this much, I'm well overdue on the trucks I actually beat up.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On race day, I'll check for loose screws/nuts in between races and will usually check camber and ride height. I'll wipe things down and try to keep the wheels, tires, and chassis clean. After every race day (usually 4-5 battery packs) I'll pop off my shocks and make sure my suspensions move freely. I'll usually change my shock oils every 3 races or so, diffs every 5 or so races (the center diff on my B74.1 leaks a lot so I'll top it off every now and then), and will usually do a tear down and rebuild on one of my cars every month.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Try to keep an eye on items for looseness. Ball studs, etc. Sometimes miss some things, but usually catch it.

Fluids don't get changed all that often unless I am trying something new from an oil perspective. I'll pop a cap off and add a couple drops and rebleed them.

Should probably change them more, but I'd rather practice and I don't think those are things slowing me down.

I try to work 1 car over at a time so that puts me on a rotation between 17.5, 4wd and truggy.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

changing fluids in-between races is a waste of time. rebuild shocks when needed . seen guys in the brushed days pull a motor clean com replace bearings but he never made the podium..ive raced for years and unless i found a shock that had issue i never rebuilt or added fluid thats just throwing away money...check nuts and anything that has threads ..seen guys with ocd tighten wheel nuts b4 every race sounds like 1st responder has a major case of it..
Old 03-29-2022, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

No information given on the classes but here 's my take:

Mod Classes: Rebuild every 15-20 packs
Stock Classes: same as above but flush and oil bearings every single race day

Rebuild consists of the following:
Apply fresh grease on all rubber seals in shocks and diffs
Grease the ring/crown gears
Flush, pack grease(mod), oil(stock) on bearings
Fresh fluids
Inspect and replace pins on all shafts
Replace any worn parts like outdrives, gears, fans missing blades, wallowed out plastic, etc..

*** If shock fluids are clear, I might skip a rebuild cycle but any tint of milky grey then they definitely need to be rebuilt as dirty shock oil acts like sandpaper and cause premature failure of pistons/seals/shafts/cartridge assemblies

*** If a big race event then rebuild the night before the mains!