R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   8ight buggy to truggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1096508-8ight-buggy-truggy.html)

dookie 02-23-2022 11:14 AM

8ight buggy to truggy?

I've had an RTR buggy for long enough to make some improvements, but I'm realizing a truggy suits my use much better. I'm not worried about class-legal, every-bit conversion...just longer travel/wider stance. Keeping chassis and center driveline, is it possible to replace arms/turnbuckles/axles/shocks/towers/wheels and be done? Are knuckles/hubs different to accommodate wider wheels? Gearing?

Or, better to buy/sell outright and not piecemeal? Keeping the buggy is preferred, primarily because I know the service history and flaws. Don't have funds for new and not crazy about the Pandora's box of used...

MX304 02-23-2022 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dookie (Post 15878673)
I've had an RTR buggy for long enough to make some improvements, but I'm realizing a truggy suits my use much better. I'm not worried about class-legal, every-bit conversion...just longer travel/wider stance. Keeping chassis and center driveline, is it possible to replace arms/turnbuckles/axles/shocks/towers/wheels and be done? Are knuckles/hubs different to accommodate wider wheels? Gearing?

Or, better to buy/sell outright and not piecemeal? Keeping the buggy is preferred, primarily because I know the service history and flaws. Don't have funds for new and not crazy about the Pandora's box of used...

It will be a LOT cheaper to just buy a truggy. About the only parts shared between the two are the diff cases and bulkheads. All of the suspension components are different, chassis is different, diff ring and pinion gears are different, etc etc.

xfbaap 02-23-2022 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MX304 (Post 15878674)
It will be a LOT cheaper to just buy a truggy. About the only parts shared between the two are the diff cases and bulkheads. All of the suspension components are different, chassis is different, diff ring and pinion gears are different, etc etc.

X2 👍

billdelong 02-24-2022 07:37 AM

x3

Note that the chassis for a truggy is longer, if you kept the same buggy chassis then you'd do a Monster Truck conversion instead of a Truggy conversion.

TEKNO EB48 - Basic Buggy
TEKNO MT410 - contains the same EB48 chassis and center driveline, but Truggy arms shafts, new shock towers, shocks and a few other bits
TEKNO ET48 - Almost same as MT410 plus longer chassis and longer center shafts

Definitely cheaper to sell your buggy and buy a new kit, then swap out the electronics, less time, less money and less headache!

billm67 08-13-2022 08:40 AM

It's very expensive and you end up replacing half of the parts...