Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what brushless motor for a B4? >

what brushless motor for a B4?

what brushless motor for a B4?

Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default what brushless motor for a B4?

I have a new FT B4.....just getting ready for the new dirt season to start. I also have an LRP sphere, so for a good size track (if it is the same as last year it will be low traction /dusty also the same track that the gas runs on)what brushless motor would be a good one to get (this is for an open mod class brush/brushless).... i was thinking neo 2 star or 3 star???? I know the best thing to do is see what other people are running... but that is just it... i want to have it so i can start the season with it..... and i really dont want to buy one only to wish i got the other one.... so is there such a thing as to much motor ???

or if you think i should get a novak motor let me know what one.....

one other thing on the sphere.... what can i use to put the heat sink back on... i had it on there... then i took it off.... now i do not have the sticky pad that comes with it......

thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i've got a BK2, with the same sounding track as you, and i got th 1 star, (the 13 T comparable), i got it because if youve got too much mtoor, you'll jsut spin out, i ran a 14x2 last year, and won the points series, i think unless your racing against factor guys, you dont need the big motors, as long as you keep it on all 4 wheels, you'll be up front,
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Legend

Buy the 1 Star Neo..
I first brought the 3 Star for my B-4..
Love it , did real good with..
But ..
I have switched to a 1 Star , I now get even faster lap times & results...

because its alot smoother with no wheel spin...

even on big layouts used the 1 Star ....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been doing some reading on this whole brushless deal. Since you guys have them, what are your overall impressions? I've read stories about guys cooking both the LRP and the Novak systems. You're really only going to hear the horry stories along with the odd wow that's awesome story. I'd assume they've worked the bugs out of these systems by now. Are the motors truely 0 maitenance? I find that hard to believe, not even some oil??

We have the option to run brushless at our local offroad club track and I really like the idea of not having to worry about the motor anymore.

Does the ESC fit in no problems under a B4 body?

Any other points or advice are gladly welcomed. Thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Legend

Default I use a B-4 & brushless

#1 Like it so much, I`ll never a purchase a brush motor again ...

#2 I`v seen a few have problems , but to be honest I`v seen just a many have problems with brush motor`s & ESC`s....
Speaking for myself, I`v never had a brush motor that ran for months & hundreds of run`s compared to my Lrp Sphere & Neo....
Never....
Now spoiled rotten ...

#3 Basically maintenance free cept for a drop of oil on the motor bearing`s once and while....

#4 Both the Novak & Lrp brushless fit , although the Sphere is not as tall, so it fits the body of the B-4 very well...

I`v been racing a Lrp Sphere & Neo sense they became available....
Not sure , but that over 6 months !!!

I race, 2 or 3 times week !
Race at
club meets, also go to most of the two days events in our area ( Pacific N/w)....