R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Sct Motor for 2s & 4s? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1094589-sct-motor-2s-4s.html)

amp3d 01-12-2022 11:45 AM

Sct Motor for 2s & 4s?

Hey everyone,
Sorry if this is a newbie question... But I'm really struggling here as am an old school largescale gas guy here trying to make the move to electric.

I currently own a kraton 8s that runs 4s batteries.

However, I've decided to finally give racing a go and have picked up a tekno sct410.3.

Local clubs only allow me to run 2s to race.

However, since I have a number of 4s batteries around I'd like to use them to extend my runtime when bashing.

Because I'd like to run 2s and 4s on the same motor, I'm not sure sure what kv I should be looking at. Should I be targeting my motor selection loosely around 3s as a happy medium?

So many motor options make this a real challenge for a newbie like myself, and I'm sure trying to reuse my battery packs aren't helping. Haha

I've found some apps that allow me to use some calculators, but they also ask for the transmission ratio on the sct410 to be accurate and I'm not sure where to find thst info. :)

Thanks!

​​​

Sir 51D3WAYS 01-12-2022 12:22 PM

Diff ratio on the sct410 is 4:1. If you do want to run 4s, bear in mind that a lot of the parts are plastic and were only ever designed with 2s in mind, at a stretch 3s. I suggest you run a low kV motor, prolly 1000+ only, to remain competitive with the rest. The SCT410 guys usually run 4700kV motors with 2s batteries I think,(check with the track) but they will chomp through them in about 10 mins tops with the motor coming off hotter than the center of the sun lol.

the rc guy 01-12-2022 12:45 PM

You better check your intended track rules to run in sct many have different kv rules. ie like 3599kv or 5.5t and you cannot run 3 cells on those 4700kv hmm nope

amp3d 01-12-2022 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by the rc guy (Post 15863545)
You better check your intended track rules to run in sct many have different kv rules. ie like 3599kv or 5.5t and you cannot run 3 cells on those 4700kv hmm nope

That's sortof the problem. I don't really have many tracks around me and the ones I will go to would only be open seasonally. I'll have to wait till the summer before I can really figure out what is what in regards to the various tracks.

I've reached out to a few on their facebook pages with no response so, worst case I'll just stick with bashing I guess!

Joshstix 01-12-2022 03:54 PM

I think the real answer is your race vehicle shouldn't be your bashing vehicle as well.

To be able to be competitive on track with a short course truck and also bash with it on 4S seems a real stretch. You would need to change motors between use cases. A motor that is fast enough on 2S to be good on track us not going to live on 4S. You would also end up needing so many strength upgrades to get the driveline and chassis to live bashing on 4S that it will be too heavy to compete on 2S.

You would be much better off with something like a Typhon blx with an upgraded esc to bash with on 4S.

amp3d 01-12-2022 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joshstix (Post 15863615)
I think the real answer is your race vehicle shouldn't be your bashing vehicle as well.

To be able to be competitive on track with a short course truck and also bash with it on 4S seems a real stretch. You would need to change motors between use cases. A motor that is fast enough on 2S to be good on track us not going to live on 4S. You would also end up needing so many strength upgrades to get the driveline and chassis to live bashing on 4S that it will be too heavy to compete on 2S.

You would be much better off with something like a Typhon blx with an upgraded esc to bash with on 4S.

I think you are right! I did a little more research and realize how dumb my original post was. I'll just leave the bashing to my Kraton 8S and the SCT for the tracks.
I just thought it would be nice to use some spare batteries I have laying around but I think the platforms are just WAYYY too different :)

Thanks again for confirming!

Cain 01-12-2022 06:58 PM

If ou are wanting to use a 4S lipo, you will want to go with a motor like a 1900-2200kv range.

We used to convert the SCT410.3 into what was called and EB48SL here and use it in the 1/8 buggy class on 4S power. it worked, just not as durable as a full on 1/8 buggy. The Tekin T8I 1950kv motor was pretty popular.

amp3d 01-12-2022 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 15863709)
If ou are wanting to use a 4S lipo, you will want to go with a motor like a 1900-2200kv range.

We used to convert the SCT410.3 into what was called and EB48SL here and use it in the 1/8 buggy class on 4S power. it worked, just not as durable as a full on 1/8 buggy. The Tekin T8I 1950kv motor was pretty popular.

Ah yes, I saw a few posts about that. I thought about that, but as an unexperienced racer I thought I belonged in the SCT class for this first season. Perhaps when I move up into 1/8 this will be a good option.
Thanks!

HongRC 01-13-2022 12:37 AM

Many motor product manuals have recommended KV values, so I suggest you refer to them. In addition, since the weight and performance of the battery are one of the main factors that affect the driving effect of the car, it is best to use 2S lipo batteries, like Ovonic 2s 5000mah when you train and become a habit.

the rc guy 01-13-2022 03:01 AM

if your a rookie driver then Id go with a open wheel platform ie 2 wd buggy or stock truck...learn how to drive take jumps so on. I know the hatters will jump all over this but oh well

Cain 01-13-2022 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by amp3d (Post 15863738)
Ah yes, I saw a few posts about that. I thought about that, but as an unexperienced racer I thought I belonged in the SCT class for this first season. Perhaps when I move up into 1/8 this will be a good option.
Thanks!

If they have an active SCT class that can be fun. Main thing is whatever gets you happy in the hobby go with that.