Ultrasonic Cleaner >

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Like Tree3Likes

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Old 01-01-2022, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Ultrasonic Cleaner

Anybody recommend a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for plastic parts (diffs, arms etc)? Also how long do you let the cleaning go?
Old 01-02-2022, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Iím in europe so I cant recommend one But I usually go for 8 minutes at 40 degrees celcius. You can also run metallic parts if you DRY them with a hairdryer or compressor after. If you have a lot of small nuts and screws I put them in a tea strainer in the machine.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In the US, Harbor Freight used to sell one that was decent. I'd probably opt for their 2 year replacement plan on that one.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the HF cleaner and its ok. I feel like its not working as well and its about 8 months old. I did get the 2 year warranty, and Im going to exchange it. Might do that today actually.

I'd google around for different brands though. If you can deal with a smaller one you can search around and find them for good prices and probably better quality.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I run this guy with a warm 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Works awesome.

Cheap Ultra-Sonic Cleaner Cheap Ultra-Sonic Cleaner
Old 01-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bsthetech View Post
I run this guy with a warm 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Works awesome.

Cheap Ultra-Sonic Cleaner
thx. How long do you let it go? What do you clean? Diffs, arms etc
Old 01-02-2022, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dogbone418 View Post
thx. How long do you let it go? What do you clean? Diffs, arms etc
I think the default is 320 seconds. Usually that, sometimes I'll start it twice. Its not rocket science. If your parts are clean that's enough time. I throw in anything dirty (especially greasy diffs when I'm doing a viscosity change). It comes with a plastic basket to hold all your parts and the holes in the basket are a little large. I often have to fish small washers etc out of the bottom. With the Simple Green all the grease floats to the top. I usually drag the top of the liquid with a paper towel to soak up the grease before pulling the basket out otherwise it just re-coats all the parts. Greasy dirty plastic comes out looking brand new! The cleaner is well worth the $40 IMHO.

***Oh, I just remembered. I read somewhere that you should not put bearings in an Ultra-Sonic cleaner. The vibrations pit them or something. Other guys do it. YMMV.
dogbone418 likes this.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I have been using this cleaner here for a while now:

Amazon Amazon

I don't have any experience with any other cleaners, but the one I've been using has met all my expectations. I mostly use it to clean my wheels after removing the tires with acetone, the wheels come out looking nearly new again, minus all the scuffs... the cleaner doesn't really get into deep scratches so I have to use a brush, but it's really a lot less work than not using the cleaner at all.

Depending on what I'm cleaning, I often find that washing my parts under hot water from the sink is more than sufficient, but if that can't get it done, then I'll break out the ultrasonic cleaner for heavy duty cleaning.

Some wheels have been so dirty that it took close to an hour to get my desired result, and if there are too many deep scratches, then I don't bother and simply toss out the wheel than to waste my time.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here is a vid of Adam Drake using the cleaner:

Old 01-03-2022, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys!
Old 01-06-2022, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I have been using this cleaner here for a while now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Does this one really allow for 99 minute cleaning cycles? That was my only issue with the Harbor Freight cleaner, I had to keep restarting the 400s cycle. Not very unattended that way.
--Alex
Old 01-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by alexo35 View Post
Does this one really allow for 99 minute cleaning cycles? That was my only issue with the Harbor Freight cleaner, I had to keep restarting the 400s cycle. Not very unattended that way.

--Alex

I think that might be a typo... I don't think it's a good idea to let it cycle THAT long, I typically would let if go for a few minutes at a time and check the parts never finding it necessary to go more than 20 min total per set of parts. Unfortunately I can't test it right now because the cleaner is in storage as I'm currently fulltime in an RV traveling abroad for a while. I do plan to get into my storage next month to clear out some stuff and if I can locate the cleaner I'll confirm the 99 min cycle works.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3500psi pressure washer should do it. The electric version makes it environmentally safe also, as long as you don't shoot any plants with it.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:05 PM
elk
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
3500psi pressure washer should do it.
"Hmmm, now where did all those parts go?"
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I think that might be a typo... I don't think it's a good idea to let it cycle THAT long, I typically would let if go for a few minutes at a time and check the parts never finding it necessary to go more than 20 min total per set of parts. Unfortunately I can't test it right now because the cleaner is in storage as I'm currently fulltime in an RV traveling abroad for a while. I do plan to get into my storage next month to clear out some stuff and if I can locate the cleaner I'll confirm the 99 min cycle works.
Agreed, 99 min is a bit long. But 10 or 15 sure would be nice!
--Alex

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.