1st off road truck need help picking up one

Like Tree9Likes

1st off road truck need help picking up one

Old 12-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1st off road truck need help picking up one

Hey Gents
I want to give a try off road I do race 1/8 nitro on road for the last 15 years but they just opened up a indoor off road track about 4 miles from my home. I looking for a 1/10 scale with 4 wheel drive truck I do like how the stadium trucks look so if someone can point me into the right direction would be great.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

The olptions for 4wd stadium truck (1/10th) realy are Xray or Teknow. The Tekkno et410.2 is a great truck, lots of fun tol drive and fairly durable. I would get the aluminum servo horn, and the frnt bulkhead can break in a hard crash, but the truck is a blast to drive. You can run a "standard motor down to like a 5.5 or go with a SCT "Pro 4" motor up to 4600kv. THat puts out a lot of power, I have found mine to more driveable with a 6.5.

The Xray is supposed to be good, but at my local track it is all tekno (it's cheaper in the US with better parts support). Xray makes good stuff, i'm sure that drives great too, but have not raced against one

If you are looking for a "project" there are AE and Losi conversions (convert their 4wd buggy to a truck) made by 3dr parties. I have been told the AE b64d conversion runs good, but the B64 is a "retiring" platform, parts support could be thin.

As I said my local (outdoor) track gets a class most club nights, we all run the 410 or 410.2 and it is a blast for sure
Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimF View Post
The olptions for 4wd stadium truck (1/10th) realy are Xray or Teknow. The Tekkno et410.2 is a great truck, lots of fun tol drive and fairly durable. I would get the aluminum servo horn, and the frnt bulkhead can break in a hard crash, but the truck is a blast to drive. You can run a "standard motor down to like a 5.5 or go with a SCT "Pro 4" motor up to 4600kv. THat puts out a lot of power, I have found mine to more driveable with a 6.5.

The Xray is supposed to be good, but at my local track it is all tekno (it's cheaper in the US with better parts support). Xray makes good stuff, i'm sure that drives great too, but have not raced against one

If you are looking for a "project" there are AE and Losi conversions (convert their 4wd buggy to a truck) made by 3dr parties. I have been told the AE b64d conversion runs good, but the B64 is a "retiring" platform, parts support could be thin.

As I said my local (outdoor) track gets a class most club nights, we all run the 410 or 410.2 and it is a blast for sure
Thanks Tim really appreciate your help.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Well first off what are the available classes at the new local off-road track? That is important to make sure you pick a kit that matches a common class there and will be fun.

Stadium truck is only offered in 2WD. If you are set on 4WD you are likely considering 4WD Short Course or 4WD Truggy, but again these are fairly obscure classes and might not yet be available or popular at your new track. Make sure you pick wisely so you have the most fun!
Cain and Silverbullet555 like this.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/10 scale 4wd stadium trucks go by a couple of different names (mini truggy, baby truggy, 1/10 truggy) depending on who you talk to and what brand RC manufacturer. Since the new track is so close to you, hop on down and check things out. Ask what classes are being/going to being held there. If by chance they are running a mini truggy class, I'd say that is just plain awesome, because they (the ET410 is anyway) are so fun to drive.

Last edited by rustyus; 12-28-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rustyus View Post
1/10 scale 4wd stadium trucks go by a couple of different names depending on who you talk to and what brand RC manufacturer. Since the new track is so close to you, hop on down and check things out. Ask what classes are being/going to being held there.
The only 4WD Stadium Trucks are bashers for in the street, not racing. Racing you can pick between the 4WD Short Course or 4WD Truggy (half truck, half buggy). If it has a buggy wing, you canít call it a Stadium Truck.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes. I prefer the term mini truggy, but...

Old 12-28-2021, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

PR Racing really doesn’t count, cheap Chinese knockoff company. 4WD Mini Truggy or 4WD 1/10 Truggy (vs. 1/8 Truggy).
Old 12-28-2021, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys and your right I need to see what they are running at this new track but I do like the short course you mentioned.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

the shortcourse class (4wd or even 2wd) is fun for sure, again if they have a class for it (We all assume you will be racing).

2wd Stadium truck can also be a rewarding and consistent class. As others have stated, if you are racing you should find what classes they offer on race day. You said you drive 1/8 the 1/10 baby truggy will drive most like your 1/8th but the others can be fun for sure. Almost all 1/10 dirt tracks have a 2wd and 4wd buggy class, the others classes seem to vary by venue and local preferences.

Really for 1/10th in the US you cant go wrong with a AE, Losi, Tekno, or Xray offering for a "race grade" chassis, it will come down to personal driving preferences. The 4wd platforms will cost a little more for a stronger servo and the esc/motor combo to get started, but it's probably in the 100-150 dollar more range (vs mid-level 2wd electronics)
BigC2007 likes this.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimF View Post
the shortcourse class (4wd or even 2wd) is fun for sure, again if they have a class for it (We all assume you will be racing).

2wd Stadium truck can also be a rewarding and consistent class. As others have stated, if you are racing you should find what classes they offer on race day. You said you drive 1/8 the 1/10 baby truggy will drive most like your 1/8th but the others can be fun for sure. Almost all 1/10 dirt tracks have a 2wd and 4wd buggy class, the others classes seem to vary by venue and local preferences.

Really for 1/10th in the US you cant go wrong with a AE, Losi, Tekno, or Xray offering for a "race grade" chassis, it will come down to personal driving preferences. The 4wd platforms will cost a little more for a stronger servo and the esc/motor combo to get started, but it's probably in the 100-150 dollar more range (vs mid-level 2wd electronics)
Great info Tim thanks again
Old 12-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should see whats raced at your local track.

There aren't a lot of 4wd staduim trucks/truggies and they aren't commonly raced. Some tracks have them most don't. It'd be unfortunate to build a truck and find out theres no one racing them.

Anthony.L, BigC2007 and RazorRC like this.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
PR Racing really doesn’t count, cheap Chinese knockoff company. 4WD Mini Truggy or 4WD 1/10 Truggy (vs. 1/8 Truggy).
I have since moved away from PR Racing and currently run HB Racing cars... only reason I made the switch is because the 1/10 program died off in my area and the 1/8 classes are the most popular.

I have about 2 years of experience with 401R and 401R-T platforms, both are extremely competitive and have helped me make the podium consistently. I had previously ran TEKNO cars which were solid platforms as well, but PR was a pinch faster, more consistent and less expensive to maintain being a pinch more durable.

I was really excited when Xray released the XT4, the mini truggy class exploded and became the single most popular class at the track in my area. That lasted for all of about 3 months because folks were breaking arms on the XT4 like candy, parts were on back order just about every Xray owner had their mini truggy sitting on the shelf waiting for parts

Then the TEKNO owners started selling off their mini truggies because of random durability issues around the bulkhead and steering rack.

Based on my personal experience with 401R-T and only a couple of key upgrades, it's by far the most durable mini truggy on the market by a long shot.

Only reason locals didn't switch over to PR was because the on-site shop at the track didn't carry any parts for PR... shrug.

Folks started running 1/8 truggy instead, and I held out to be the last remaining mini truggy showing up and was mixed in to run my mini truggy with the 1/8 truggies and it was a blast, like a little bug buzzing around the big machines on the track, kinda funny really... it was a huge disadvantage but would still make the podium with it, ha!

There were a couple of times where my mini truggy would tangle with 1/8 truggies and the 1/8 truggies broke! There was only 1 time that I ever broke an arm on my PR and that was when a 1/8 truggy botched a jump and crossed over the pipe into the opposing lane and he nose dived right into the front right arm. Aside from having to replace parts from typical wear and tear, the only parts that ever broke were Lunsford turnbuckles which I sent in for free replacement with their lifetime warranty.

PR Racing is a legit brand, I'm truly shocked that they haven't picked up more in popularity in the US yet, I never had any problem getting parts either.

More info here:
rustyus likes this.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
PR Racing is a legit brand, I'm truly shocked that they haven't picked up more in popularity in the US yet, I never had any problem getting parts either.
They should get more YouTubers to review them.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Again thanks guys for the inputs and info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.