Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why are 4wd front carpet/turf tires much smaller than rears? >

Why are 4wd front carpet/turf tires much smaller than rears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Why are 4wd front carpet/turf tires much smaller than rears?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Why are 4wd front carpet/turf tires much smaller than rears?

Any input on this? Specifically the diameter.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

^Specifically which tyre are you referring to? Off road tyres frequently vary in diameters between models of the same brand, unlike on road tyres which are broadly similar. IME, astro tyres have been the same diameters front to rear IIRC. The fronts are much thinner width wise to reduce steering and prevent traction roll......
Old 12-07-2021, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Schumacher cactus, Proline hexon and prizm rears - with their front cactus, fusion and prizm. They are all about 4 to 6mm smaller in diameter. Probably not a huge deal if running a center diff, but I prefer a slipper on carpet. The only front I've seen recently that matches closely is the Schumacher wide stagger rib.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinsreell
Schumacher cactus, Proline hexon and prizm rears - with their front cactus, fusion and prizm. They are all about 4 to 6mm smaller in diameter. Probably not a huge deal if running a center diff, but I prefer a slipper on carpet. The only front I've seen recently that matches closely is the Schumacher wide stagger rib.
The cactus/fusion 2 tries to fix that. I tried a set and didn't like it as it made the car too twitchy which I think is the reason. By having smaller fronts, it takes some of the front grip away as the weight transfers back. This allows the rears to control the car a bit more and reduce some of the agressive steering in 4wd cars.

Of course, that's a guess and I could be wrong.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

I suspect it is just because Schumacher made the original low profile Cut Stagger smaller because it was meant for a 2wd car, and then when it worked well, versions of it were made for 4wd. Why change the diameter of something that works?
Old 12-08-2021, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

There are too many variables to address every possible option, but generally all the choices are to handle various desired tuning options for grip/handing.

There was a shift to remove foam inserts from the front which improves tire wear and increases grip at the same time, however older design sidewalls are too flexible and require inserts for proper support, the lower profile sidewall doesn't need inserts to get these gains. Another added benefit with a reduced diameter on front is called "overdrive" so the front wheels spin faster and "pull" the car through the corners.

Many years ago (on a clay track) I experimented with recycling front 2wd tires on my 2WD buggy and installed them on my 4WD for quals. I was surprised with the results and started a local trend because this lightened the rotating mass and improved acceleration. I also found that stretching 2WD tires on 4WD wheels also created the same effect described above with the benefits of reducing the diameter . This caused a stink and I contacted ROAR to verify what I was doing was within the rules which only state max dimensions there are no minimums in the specs. It was just a matter of time before the manufactures effectively made equivalent of what I already learned an effective tuning option on clay but did this for turf.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
There are too many variables to address every possible option, but generally all the choices are to handle various desired tuning options for grip/handing.

There was a shift to remove foam inserts from the front which improves tire wear and increases grip at the same time, however older design sidewalls are too flexible and require inserts for proper support, the lower profile sidewall doesn't need inserts to get these gains. Another added benefit with a reduced diameter on front is called "overdrive" so the front wheels spin faster and "pull" the car through the corners.

Many years ago (on a clay track) I experimented with recycling front 2wd tires on my 2WD buggy and installed them on my 4WD for quals. I was surprised with the results and started a local trend because this lightened the rotating mass and improved acceleration. I also found that stretching 2WD tires on 4WD wheels also created the same effect described above with the benefits of reducing the diameter . This caused a stink and I contacted ROAR to verify what I was doing was within the rules which only state max dimensions there are no minimums in the specs. It was just a matter of time before the manufactures effectively made equivalent of what I already learned an effective tuning option on clay but did this for turf.
That all makes sense except for the smaller diameter causing overdrive. Would the smaller front not cause underdrive as the rollout will be less with a smaller diameter. A local guy here will try old 2wd fronts on his 4wd on occasion. It's a tuning tool for sure. Lots of ways to use tires and rims to create different handling effects.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
That all makes sense except for the smaller diameter causing overdrive. Would the smaller front not cause underdrive as the rollout will be less with a smaller diameter. A local guy here will try old 2wd fronts on his 4wd on occasion. It's a tuning tool for sure. Lots of ways to use tires and rims to create different handling effects.
hmm, that's an interesting perspective and now you've got me second guessing the concept, ha!

So in my mind, the smaller the diameter, the more revolutions the wheel will spin and this is what makes me believe this is called overdrive.... it's been too long for me to recall the change in handling I was experiencing, but there a pretty good explanation here on the effects:
Underdrive and Overdrive
Old 12-08-2021, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
You're right, with a smaller front tyre diameter the front axle is under-driven (goes less distance for a given motor rotation compared to the rear)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Exactly. The front and back tires would be fighting each other. On full size cars this will almost keep a car from moving if it has a lockable transfer case. If running a slipper, It has to cause significant drag. I'm working on narrowing some rear tires to mount on front rims and see if there's a noticeable speed/handling difference. The lowest profile rear tires I have are prizms. Anyone know of smaller diameter rear carpet tires?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kevinsreell
I measured the circumference of some Schumacher Cactus rears - 263mm, the Cactus Fusion fronts were 251mm. I also measured some Jconcepts Nessi and Swaggers, they were both 259mm.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Overdrive with a taller front ring and pinion. or smaller rear ring and pinion.

Under drive and it'll push too much.