Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Calcium grease for R/C car differential >

Calcium grease for R/C car differential

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fyrstormer

Calcium grease for R/C car differential

Old 12-04-2021, 03:04 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 3
Default Calcium grease for R/C car differential

Can calcium grease be used for metal differential gears? Is it safe for the plastic housing?
cookieoreo18 is offline  
Old 12-04-2021, 03:28 AM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Virginia, Near DC, USA
Posts: 7,982
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It should be fine, but silicone grease will give you more of a limited-slip action. Or if the differential has O-ring seals, silicone oils in a wide range of viscosities are available to fine-tune the differential's limited-slip action. You probably don't want a fully open differential, like you'd get with any kind of petroleum grease, if you care about performance at all.
fyrstormer is offline  
Old 12-04-2021, 03:46 AM
  #3  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
It should be fine, but silicone grease will give you more of a limited-slip action. Or if the differential has O-ring seals, silicone oils in a wide range of viscosities are available to fine-tune the differential's limited-slip action. You probably don't want a fully open differential, like you'd get with any kind of petroleum grease, if you care about performance at all.
thanks for the help. Btw i recently casted a custom differential locking block from HDPE plastic. So i do not care about any "limited slip" functionality.
cookieoreo18 is offline  
Old 12-04-2021, 05:37 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cookieoreo18
thanks for the help. Btw i recently casted a custom differential locking block from HDPE plastic. So i do not care about any "limited slip" functionality.

If you are locking the diff, why put grease in it at all?

Or do you mean on the transmission gears?
Silverbullet555 is offline  
Old 12-04-2021, 07:43 AM
  #5  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 3
Default

what? There are still gears in the differential. The ring and pinion gears need to be lubricated
cookieoreo18 is offline  
Old 12-04-2021, 08:35 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cookieoreo18
what? There are still gears in the differential. The ring and pinion gears need to be lubricated
gotcha. I'm thinking internal diff spider gears. For the ring and pinion pick whatever you have.
Silverbullet555 is offline  
Old 12-05-2021, 01:48 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Virginia, Near DC, USA
Posts: 7,982
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

OHH. I thought you were talking about the internal spider gears too. For the ring and pinion gears you want the slipperiest grease you can find.
fyrstormer is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.