R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Armchair engineers...*sigh*. You guys haven't even had a chance to play with the car while it's sitting on the table, and you've already found ten things wrong with it?

No company spends thousands and thousands of dollars to come up with something that's not at least on par with what's already on the market, it just doesn't make sense. Losi's cars have never been about eye candy..they're about getting around a race track as fast as possible. Just because it's all one color doesn't mean it's not a high-end car.

There's nothing wrong with molding parts from plastic. The material for the 8ight is all new for Team Losi; it's not the same as the Stiffezell material they used before and it's not the graphite composite Losi has been using for their 1/10th scale cars. It's very durable and should handle lots of abuse.

Besides...the people worried about the bling factor of this car are probably the ones who spend a couple hundred bills on Fioroni or King Headz stuff for their Kyosho, Mugen, or XRay anyway!

Team Losi as a company may not have any 1/8th scale experience, but their racers and engineers sure do. Is there really anyone who wants to argue that Jukka Steenari, Gil Losi Jr., and the rest of Team Losi's engineering staff aren't some of the most intellgent people to touch an R/C car?

Besides, Adam Drake is going to race this car..and anyone who knows The Drake, knows that he doesn't like to lose!

Tabushi - The car is made in the USA! It's all SAE hardware.

Doug D - Jukka has run both Kyosho and Mugen cars in the last couple years, Adam and other Losi drivers have run for Jammin', Truhe and Jesse Robbers have run the XRay, that's a lot of collective information channeled into one car!

If it wasn't for Losi, 2wd buggys wouldn't be NEAR the level they are now. Heck, the electric truck class might not exist!. No dual-disk slipper, no compact transmissions, no front ends with the shocks moved backwards, no molded chassis, etc.

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-07-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Aaron Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

cmain-I very seriously doubt that's the case with the new buggy.

SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mountaindr3wz

yup i when i went to the rcx last year he had his game face on. i wonder what team associated is thinking right now?
mountaindr3wz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are several plastic composites that have a much higher stiffness/weight ratio than aluminum.
Tall Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow. That design is wicked and a half. Can't wait to see the production version of that beastly beast.
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #51
Tech Regular

the shock towers look like molded aluminum to me. and aaron waldron. associated first had the dual disk slipper, and the front shocks moved back. losi does have the first molded chassis and compact transmission. losi can not be credited with starting the truck class as conversion kits for both cars were out before either production vehicle. i'am not bashing losi as a matter of fact i think losi has done more for this hobby than anyone else as far as promotion and paying drivers. this 1/8th scale will really explode the racing scene for sure.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #52
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Armchair engineers...*sigh*. You guys haven't even had a chance to play with the car while it's sitting on the table, and you've already found ten things wrong with it?

No company spends thousands and thousands of dollars to come up with something that's not at least on par with what's already on the market, it just doesn't make sense. Losi's cars have never been about eye candy..they're about getting around a race track as fast as possible. Just because it's all one color doesn't mean it's not a high-end car.

There's nothing wrong with molding parts from plastic. The material for the 8ight is all new for Team Losi; it's not the same as the Stiffezell material they used before and it's not the graphite composite Losi has been using for their 1/10th scale cars. It's very durable and should handle lots of abuse.

Besides...the people worried about the bling factor of this car are probably the ones who spend a couple hundred bills on Fioroni or King Headz stuff for their Kyosho, Mugen, or XRay anyway!

Team Losi as a company may not have any 1/8th scale experience, but their racers and engineers sure do. Is there really anyone who wants to argue that Jukka Steenari, Gil Losi Jr., and the rest of Team Losi's engineering staff aren't some of the most intellgent people to touch an R/C car?

Besides, Adam Drake is going to race this car..and anyone who knows The Drake, knows that he doesn't like to lose!

Tabushi - The car is made in the USA! It's all SAE hardware.

Doug D - Jukka has run both Kyosho and Mugen cars in the last couple years, Adam and other Losi drivers have run for Jammin', Truhe and Jesse Robbers have run the XRay, that's a lot of collective information channeled into one car!

If it wasn't for Losi, 2wd buggys wouldn't be NEAR the level they are now. Heck, the electric truck class might not exist!. No dual-disk slipper, no compact transmissions, no front ends with the shocks moved backwards, no molded chassis, etc.
Very well said. Very.
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

Looks interesting. Will it go an hour with out breaking though.

- hope the diff cases are strong, inverting the main gears like that will put a lot of stress on the plastic...a gear never likes to stay geared, it will want to climb out.

- Looks crowded in the front, lots going on up there and is gonna be a beeatch to clean. Look at an MBX5 right side, everything nice and neat.

- Crowding everything in the front like that may kill rear grip. They may be playing with position of everything though.

- Over all there is nothing there that will turn the 1/8 world upside down. I am sure they will put their best drivers on it and get some A main time though. Kyosho and Mugen have been at this a long time, whose to say they haven't already tried some of this? Mugen tried moving the engine foward, backward and to the center as much as possible. I can see several revisions before Losi gets the position right.

Next up. See what AE does. It is cool that the two big players in the electric world are trying out 1/8 scale designs.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Wow! Now that is subjective...

Quote:
Awwww man, you mean the $320.oo Dollar Fioroni parts package won't make me faster...
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

And please dont tell me that is the fuel line exiting from the bottom front of the tank. Surely they know that fuel will be at the back of the tank most of the time. Guess they could have the outlet in the front but the fuel pickup in the back...
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #56
Tech Adept

wow, the 8ight looks featherlite.
I think it is goin to be lightening fast.
Can't wait to see it run with the current best
kyosho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #57
Tech Adept

I say:

#1 Show me Jukka Steenari and Gil Losi's records with A mains running 1/8th off road cars. Then show me say I dunno Kanai.

#2 It's odd in the normal ways, but saying its dialed is a joke, its just static pictures guys you can't tell anything from them. SAE hardware, bad choice if you ask me, but hey Losi always has to do weird things, thats them.

#3 It's got new ideas which is great for a section of racing, but will they work out in the hands of a normal driver. Come on Drake could drive a shoe box and beat all of us!

#4 I hope they learned for the LST and now LST2 which I have friends having nothing but problems still. The LST2 is lightyears better but there still so much on the 2 that needs help for the average racer, especially clutch issues.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think the car looks good. no body can pic the car apart yet, thats just ridiculous. losi is in the hunt to be in another class of offroad, more power to them. is it going to be the most dialed 1/8th scale ever, who knows, the pic is the first one. so for now me being a loyal losi driver, i will wait to get my own and decide then. either way i am excited losi has and 18th scale wha hoooo!!!
vanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #59
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

My take...

Not enough aluminum.

There isn't much hex hardware.

It looks pretty much like a basher before all else, but Losi has always said that racing is their priority.

The air filter looks bug, and inefficient. It shouldn't have that big bend if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Also, Team Losi WILL NOT, NOR WILL THEY EVER release an RTR before a fully blown race vehicle of this caliber. They used to abide by their own policy of never making an RTR, but the temptation got too great. There was too much money to be made in RTR's, so out came the XXX-NT RTR. Losi always releases race vehicles before RTR's. The only exceptions have been the Mini-T and the Mini-T Pro. The LST was always an RTR, so I don't know if it should count or not.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

More arm chair engineers.

I love that fact that people are complaining about a car from pictures. Cause you know the xxxx buggy sucks too. Yea 4 x's, since im complaining about a car i have never seen, and defenently havent driven, and cant ever say for sure is even being made.

Arron, well said.

The whole complaining is 1 thing, and 1 thing alone. Its a new company coming into a pack of existing companies. So you name call the existing company. This is done all the time. IE, toyota. They were labeled crap cars. Now they are the best selling cars in america
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote