R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #436
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

DUH...honda is the best...LOL...it depends more on the rider...

Well said Aaron...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #437
Tech Elite

If there's one thing I've always been able to do..it's put words together to form sentences, LOL.

The R/C industry and the motorcycle industry are quite similar..I'm sure it's the same as most industries with competition. It's hard to sell junk anymore, when consumers can buy good stuff for a good cost.

But like in the R/C world, there are four or five bikes (if you include KTM) in the motocross world that produce great products. However, it's well-known that you can ride a Honda hard for a year and it won't be a pile of junk in time to buy the next model year. R/C has examples of the same.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'll bet you $100 bucks that there will be aluminum braces for it within 30 days of it hitting the shelves...LOL

Without making a comment on the particulars of the Losi buggy, mention plastic chassis braces to a Jammin' guy...a good hit and it's a $50 driveshaft set, because the brace snaps.

I do really like the two big screws holding the brace to the chassis...it's never made any sense to me to see a beefy brace secured by one 3mm screw.

Another thing I've been thinking about...it seems to me that a lot of the "bugs" or "issues" that pop up in new cars/kits seem to emerge as soon as the car gets in the hands of regular drivers. It's one thing to test out a car with a pro driver...it seems like they have to work hard to even crash once...while for some of us it comes naturally.

I can't help but think that it would help iron out the issues sooner if the OEs got them in the hands of regular (or irregular as the case may be) drivers before it was released, not after.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-25-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #439
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
However, it's well-known that you can ride a Honda hard for a year and it won't be a pile of junk in time to buy the next model year.
Yeah cuz Honda placed well this SC season...oh wait no it was Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha in the 250/450cc Super cross season. Honda has lost its innovation for their 450's.

Granted all of McGrath's winning years he always used a 1996 Frame, never
once racing and riding well on a newer frame design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild
BUELL...really sweet bikes...great torque too...but i love coming off the edge of the tire a snap later the tach is at 11k shift light is blinking...speedo is showing about 135MPH and i am only in 3rd...and it all feels like slow motion...i love my bike
Thats why you buy a Triumph Speed Triple or Speed 4. Higher torque, but still the nice RPM. Heck my Speed 4 (599cc) plenty of moving torque down low yet tons of up top Street Fighting power. Mine red lines at 14K and the power is all at 7K-13K.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror

Granted all of McGrath's winning years he always used a 1996 Frame, never
once racing and riding well on a newer frame design.

Look at what all of the privateer's run...majority of them honda

Correction.. McGrath rode the 93(which was his first 250 SX Championship) frame untill the 97 alum frame came out. Thats when they split ways.

TLR / Team Orion / Spektrum / AKA / TEKIN / Horizon Hobby / upgrade rc / AVID / SCH / SPY / HAL'S HOBBY WAREHOUSE
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #441
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too do believe in the plastic braces
or the ball/rods ones because they are better for handling
keeping the chassis, stiff front to rear and flexing side to side
and the alu ones are just a passing mode

like the beautiful xb8 braces are left now for the plastic ones
and even without rear ones by factorydrivers
as the chassis reacts to heavy between the endpoints of the brace and the centerdiff holders and keeps also the chassis from flexing enough in the rough

Kyosho also swears by the ball/rod braces and the upstanding steeringservo because this is more efficiant

the losi braces seem good
with the 2 screws holding them in the middle of the chassis, so the chassis can react simetrical on the bumps
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #442
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

yea it does look really nice but i hope they release it with stronger front and rear towers just like any other 1/8th buggy other wise i dont see it running for long before it gets a broken tower.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I never understood why people think aftermarket chassis braces are so important. They really only exist to keep the chassis from folding in half and do next to nothing to assist tortional rigidity. Plastic braces are fine. As long as they are flexible to absorb shock they will prove to be invisible. It mighe be an idea to use 2 braces from either side of the gear case to add twist resistance? I dunno', chassis stiffness sure didn't work out for TTR...

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
yea it does look really nice but i hope they release it with stronger front and rear towers just like any other 1/8th buggy other wise i dont see it running for long before it gets a broken tower.

Its been brought up many times in the thread, the shock towers are ALUMINUM. Its right on LOSI's website as well. 5mm thick aluminum shock towers. Dont think they are going to be a problem. I've seen the Drake run the car up at The Dirt in Hemet. That thing looks soooo f'n dialed. I even saw two other people drive his car, and it still looked good. Maybe I'm biased, but to me that car did not look cheap at all like some people on here have said. That car looked all business to me.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #445
Tech Elite

I'm sorry, you're correct. Multi-million dollar contracts, the ability to replace and rebuild the entire bike on a weekly basis, and unobtainable factory parts clearly demonstrate the true performance and durability of bikes that come off the showroom floor.

What bike showed up most often in the hands of the privateers during the Supercross season? It wasn't the Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha...

McGrath rode for the 250 class for Honda from 93-96. He used the frame from the '93 bike, which was for the most part unchanged until Honda went to aluminum frames for the '97 model year. It was the comfortability factor and the fact that the frames were relatively identical for those years (and hence, made no big improvement) that convinced Jeremy to stay on the same bike.

Joe - I think it's the fact that many prototype cars are one-off (or close) and that production kits themselves are not beaten and abused before the kits are released that leads to teething issues when a kit is released. Trust me...a pro-level driver crashes during practice days, often as hard and as often as a local racer haha. I have zero doubts in my own abilities to test the durability of something!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #446
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

ok didnt know that, good, id be gussing that it ll be same price as any other 1/8th $600-850
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #447
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have zero doubts in my own abilities to test the durability of something!
Thats why you need to stick to announcing Aaron!! j/k

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #448
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm sorry, you're correct. Multi-million dollar contracts, the ability to replace and rebuild the entire bike on a weekly basis, and unobtainable factory parts clearly demonstrate the true performance and durability of bikes that come off the showroom floor.
But, they are still pretty much identical to what you can buy off the showroom floor. Size, geometry, weight is still pretty close, and the basic engine. Motocross and Supercross is clearly a "what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" industry. Just like RC cars!! Its not like Nascar where Jeff Gordons Chevy Monte Carlo is NOTHING like a Monte Carlo on the showroom floor. The only thing on those that use factory parts are the door skins, hood skin, and trunk skin.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #449
Tech Regular

factory supercross bike are nothing like stock, they all use custom frames built to the rider and many parts you cannot buy. i have heard that the factory bikes weigh much less than even a privateers bike. but hey lets not forget what bike got mcgrath and carmicheal to the winners circle, thats right kawasaki. they both won many races on there kawasakis before racing for honda. honda bought these riders with there payout. honda doesn't pay there racers as much as other manufacturers, honda riders get bonus for winning and as long as you win weekly you will make more money riding a factory honda. thats why carmicheal switched to suzuki, did you think it was coincidence he switched the same year stewart made his intrance into the supercross class. suzuki agreed to pay him well whether he won or lost. that being said i love my honda crf450x and hope to love my new honda cbr600rr.
go james stewart 1 down more to come
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #450
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Honda is in a lull right now. When McGrath and Steve Lamson were on the team and they were the only two factory Honda riders, both were wearing #1 plates on their bikes. When McGrath left Honda he had just had the winningest season any SX rider ever had. He jumped on a Suzuki and couldn't buy a win. McGrath left Honda because they wanted to own his likeness and control how he spent his time away from racing (no wake boarding, jet skis, etc.). Honda historically pays the few racers that they support the most of any team, the problem is that they try to control the endorsements that their riders pursue outside of their contracts.

This season, Jeremy McGrath was the highest placed Honda rider at every race he entered except for the one where Bubba took him down.

Rocket42, Factory supercross bike's frames are VERY much like stock. The rules are very strict about using production spec frames, swingarm, and engine cases. There are certainly parts that you can't easily get but Bubba, Ricky, and Chad Reed don't win because their bikes are faster than the privateer's bikes.

I love my Honda Superhawk, I call it "The thinking man's Ducati"

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote