R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #421
Tech Regular

Hi ya, Aaron. The Buell company is owned by Harley Davidson. It is an air cooled motor but what the heck its still a sweet bike. I love get'n dirty too, with dirt bikes.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #422
Tech Elite

Jake - That is true, it does look very cool. But riding on the street scares me, there's too many idiots in cars out there. I'll keep my riding in the dirt.

Horatio - I have no idea when they'll ship kits overseas. Helger does the importing for the UK, right? Do they have any info?

Internet discussion forums CAN be used for some good, believe it or not...haha. I haven't been this excited about a new car...maybe since the original XXX buggy back in '99. The 8IGHT is awesome!

tex - The two-man tour isn't a bad idea. I'd like to think that Adam, my dad, and myself, are always approachable and anyone in our area that catches us at the track, on whatever day of the week, can come talk our ears off about the car.

I understand the need for a parts list..Losi is usually pretty good about getting that information out, as well as replacement parts, along with their kits. We're still more than two months away from the release of the car itself, so I'd hang on tight.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
We're still more than two months away from the release of the car itself.
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW!!!!
I can't wait that long.

Dog-gonnit, where did I put that time machine?
gasrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Right on.

Aaron - This should be about market penetration for you guys. You should consider every possibility in deciding how to get new and expirienced people to try this car. Whatever you do..... don't give them a reason not to try it.

I am excited about this car being a long time LOSI fan. I just hope the other 1/8th guys out there get as excited. Your efforts are paying off! I have heard several top drivers in the area say they are going to give the Eight a try.

Good stuff! Keep up the good work.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #425
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
....Horatio - I have no idea when they'll ship kits overseas. Helger does the importing for the UK, right? Do they have any info?...

...I understand the need for a parts list..Losi is usually pretty good about getting that information out, as well as replacement parts, along with their kits. We're still more than two months away from the release of the car itself, so I'd hang on tight.
There site wasn't functioning properly, but when I managed to check their pages, no details were available anyway.

Well, I just spoke to the guys at Helger - they reckon the 8ight will hit us as soon as July....a tad optimistic perhaps, but sounds promising.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #426
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What I want to know is the kit going to come with split center diff mounts, or are we going to have to wait for fiorno or whoever else to make them?

I really don't care, but it would be whip if they were in the kit. BTW Aaron, I just put down on one yesterday, so you guys better get this car to victory lane fast and often to justify this purchase.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #427
Tech Elite

Split centre mounts would be really nice. In these pics, they look like one piece moulded items. But as people keep reminding us, this is a pre production model.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #428
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Excited

I'm just waitin for my 8ight to show up, I for one welcome the composite/plastic pieces that are coming. I am very confident that the 8ight will perform as well or better than my SP-2 and that parts will wear better and be less expensive. I am looking forward to bigger shock volume for more consistent handling, I like the plastic chassis braces for the simple fact that they will flex instead of torqueing aluminum to aluminum and stretching the fastener which is why we have to tighten them nearly every drive. I like that the highest RPM rotating mass (motor) is as close to the middle as possible. Captured hinge pins. I like the seperate battery and receiver so that the receiver box can be more sealed. I don't see an issue with the front drive angle, it's not any worse than any of the other drive angles. When is someone gonna come out with a boot so we can lubricate CVD,s and bones. I will gladly sacrifice the tiny bit of drag a boot will have to be able to run the same outdrives and bones until they bend. I guarantee that a booted lubricated CVD or bone has less friction than a dry worn out one. I am sure that the 8ight will need a few upgrade parts but I bet it will surely cost less than puttin a race ready K-car together and keepin it together. The bottom line is that I just want one!!!!!
Danger Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #429
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Hmm, I didn't even think about the split diff mounts. I consider that an industry standard. Are there even any current buggies out right now that don't come with split diff mounts?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #430
Tech Elite

gasrc - Haha...at first that post kinda shocked me..I wasn't too happy until I read the second line.

Trust me...the wait is killing me as well. I know exactly how you feel.

tex - If testing has proven anything, the car should be AWESOME. I'm sure getting kits out there in the hands of our talented and friendly race team should do wonders for getting exposure. I'd like to think there's no one out there who has to wear a TL t-shirt to races (haha) who would give ANYONE a reason not to try Team Losi products!

Horatio - Everyone has to play the waiting game at this point...I agree, it's no fun! 1/8th scale buggy is a well-known world-wide class, so I'm sure they'll be making an attempt at getting kits overseas quickly.

o.s. power - Honestly, I don't know what to tell you about the center diff mounts..I haven't really looked.

I HATE to lose..and I know the rest of the team does as well. This car will hopefully make it easier to win!

pie8man - It would be awesome to have a car be truly race-ready out of the box. The AD2 that you can buy and assemble straight out of the box is an aluminum front pivot block and gray ballcups (well ok, and two Mugen captured ends, haha) away from being just like the truck I ran at the Nationals last year. I think Losi's entry into the 1/8th scale class will be much of the same.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #431
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho 777 SP2 and ST-R don't have split center mounts. I know for sure the SP2 doesn't and the mount on the ST-R looks identical.
Vegaspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 AM   #432
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

another thing i have yet to see is a point like this...

i had a friend at the birds a few years ago...with a tc3 if that tells you anything... he was running the alum losi style hubs...some after market stuff...they looked really nice till one got bent and it took a setup board and hours of trying to figure out where the tweek was...i love composite or plastic because its straight or its broke...and i guess mostly the same for C/F...

BUELL...really sweet bikes...great torque too...but i love coming off the edge of the tire a snap later the tach is at 11k shift light is blinking...speedo is showing about 135MPH and i am only in 3rd...and it all feels like slow motion...i love my bike...and my buggy...

i am gonna let them get out and check them out before i buy one...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Straight or broke - it's a fair point. Personally I never had any problems with AE moulded stuff on the TC3 and didn't feel the need for heavier alloy parts. However, not all mouldings are equal. I won't bother mentioning any names, but suffice to say that certain manufacturers have had real problems with their moulded stuff. And team Suzuki make nice stuff......

Basically, depending on the size, scale and purpose of the part, certain materials work better than others. Eg, I like composite wishbones, but I'd have a really difficult job believing composite screws would be a good idea.... Mind you, I'm fairly sure that if you marketed them as 'racing screws' and sold them for $10 per screw, certain people would buy them..... (Especially if they were available in both metric AND SAE sizes!!!!)

With 1/8th buggy, the weight and nature of off road racing places different demands on the car. It looks like Losi have developed a new composite for specifically for their 8ight, according to Aaron, and that can only be good news. I guess we'll find out before too long.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #434
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

thats funny...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #435
Tech Elite

Honestly...anyone who's ever been on the pegs of a bike should know Honda makes the best stuff...hahaha </half-sarcastic rant>

Most companies in this industry make good stuff now...with so many good kits out there, it's hard to sell crap to anyone anymore.

Please take my enthusiasm for this car with a grain of salt, I am biased. But as someone who enjoys playing with toy cars, I am THRILLED for the release of the new buggy.

Sometimes it's a matter of keeping the customers happy while designing a good product. I'm sure Losi saw the collective shock of showing off a car with plastic chassis braces well before any pictures were "leaked" onto the internet. I do truly believe that the plastic braces will make for a better handling car. It's my personal opinion that the only reason we see the trick looking aluminum braces on kits currently on the market is because of the bling factor; the faithful consumers within this industry have proven time and again they are willing to forego cost-effectiveness and performance for a little bit of "shiny". The aftermarket preys on that fact. It might not be too much of a stretch to say that if the 8IGHT becomes dominant, or at a least highly competitive car, we may see more items like plastic chassis braces in the future.

The composites for the new car haven't been fully worked out yet as far as I know; they're taking their time to make sure it's all done correctly, undoubtedly in hopes of releasing a car void of the "teething issues" many cars experience the first few production runs.