R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #406
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild

Tony's screws will fix the screw issue...but i dont know when...but someone will make metric hubs for it...how much will they cost is another mystery too...but that should and could put lots of convience in this buggy...

It will have 17mm hubs like all other 1/8 buggies. The wheels that Losi released fit all brands. I don't know about bearing sizes but I would imagine that these would be 8x16 like most buggies too. No need to reinvent the wheel here either.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #407
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If I can remember correctly the JRXS uses a couple metric bearings in it. I can't believe all the criticism in thread on a car that is in proto stage. Metric of SAE? If you don't already have metric tools, then this will be the time to get them. Most driver kits I have bought came with SAE and metric drivers. In my opinion, metric fasteners are the way to go, a 3mm screw is beefier than a 4/40 and the socket is larger and doesn't strip out as much. As far as bearings and shims go, like mentioned above, Avid has grat prices on bearing shouldn't matter. LHS should have metric bearings, shims, and screws if they carry HPI, Xray, Traxxas, Kyosho, Mugen, and Ofna. Racers Edge has some black oxide screws that are about $2-4 for about a dozen screws depending on size.

Remember, All nitro cars have atleast one metric screw and two metric bearings, since the crankshafts are still in metric.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #408
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6
What's up Matt? Are you back from Korea? I see you run for Losi now, no more Yoke I guess Are you or will you be running 1/8 offroad? Did you get your 8 yet?
got back from Korea last august, at Offutt AFB here in the Omaha area now. I run for Losi now and that has allowed me to get back into offroad racing along with the sedan racing. I don't have an 8ight but I would love to get one, I just don't know if it will be economically feasible for me with all the support equipment needed to run 1/8 at this time. We'll see though
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #409
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
Tools way more than $25? So another $20 is going to break the bank for you?
Well...lesee...I bought one Losi nut driver for the wheels for my XXX-4 (11/32?)...IIRC it was $14. A set of good drivers is 40-50 bucks by themselves and this thing will need that and a set of SAE nut drivers.

It's not going to "break the bank", but when I look at a car to buy, I know at this point to add up all the ancillary costs. And with this car, it will be considerable, since none of the support tools, hardware or bearings will conform with the rest of the buggies out there.

One of the coolest things about 1/8th buggies is that lots of stuff is interchangeable. The chassis' are all different, but lots of the detail parts are the same. I know I always have X-Ray guys hitting me up for little stuff. Shims are about $5 a set...it's gonna take 2-3 sets for this thing, just like any car, not counting the diffs.

I'm not saying the car isn't cool, just that it's gonna be more expensive to run than the other cars out there, due directly to the SAE measurements and nothing else.

I see why moving stuff around on the chassis and thinking outside the box is good when it comes to the suspension...but a little conformity isn't always a bad thing when it comes to the hardware, bearings and other insignificant parts. They all add up.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #410
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will any of this even matter if we find out this car is actually faster on the track once it's released? Personally, No. If this car out-performs the competition, they could charge $10 per screw, $30 per bearing, and have special $100 tools needed to work on it, and they'd still sell them as fast as they can make them. Serious racers will spend, spend, spend at even the slightest hint of performance advantage... It's some kind of disease that very few people are immune to. I'm definatly not immune to it.

Money, tools, spare hardware, all of that mean nothing IF there's a chance of better lap times.

Examples of this are many, but here's a few: Battery zappers, CTX chargers, fuel bottle coolers, tire warmers, computerized battery discharge trays, Thermo-electric motor coolers, ceramic bearings, "THE" battery/stock motor of the week, even bodies that are supposed to make your (offroad) car handle better.

I guess my point is that I would buy whatever seems to be fastest. What kind of screws/bearings/shims/etc it uses is unimportant to me.
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #411
Tech Elite

Yes, current 1/8th scale buggy guys will be inconvenienced by the SAE thing...current Losi customers will be able to use a little bit of their stuff left over from their 1/10th scale cars, but someone will have to get new tools and hardware regardless of which way they go. Associated is rumored to be working on a 1/8th scale buggy, and I know a lot of their racing-based kits use SAE hardware. Will their 1/8th scale car be SAE? If so, then Losi's buggy will help "break in" the public to the idea of a big buggy with SAE hardware. If not, then they will use metric stuff like the asian manufacturers.

DP-buggyboy hit the nail on the head. If the car works, wins races, and is as competitive as it is hyped, racers will buy it; regardless of the hardware it uses, regardless of what it costs, regardless of anything. Sometimes, speed costs money. All told, this car should be pretty reasonable in comparison to its competition, but an extra $50, or $100, or even $200 won't matter to someone who likes to win.

Let go of the plastic vs. carbon fiber vs. aluminum thing already. Carbon fiber splinters apart. Aluminum bends and doesn't come back. The plastic parts on this car were used for various reasons...flex, durability, etc. and they are used for a reason. Not because it looks cheap, or because they're trying to make extra money, but because it should make for a better car. If the plastic units used on the 8IGHT are as good as they should be, it will mean cheaper replacement parts and kits for you guys, the consumers. Who cares what the car looks like with the body off? Most podium pictures are taken with the body on!

Turbo Joe (and anyone else in the Southern California area) - If you see one of us at the track (easily spotted because of the Team Losi shirt...haha) come up and introduce yourself! I've always taken pride in being part of Team Losi's team because I feel we have the most professional and personable group of people in the industry. If the guy in the Team Losi shirt happens to be particularly goofy looking, wears glasses, and has spiky hair (or currently, a faux hawk), then you definitely need to come say hi.

I got to drive Adam's buggy at Revelation on Thursday night, and I just about wet/pooped my pants from the first time I pulled the trigger. I've been racing off-road for ten years, at a level that ten years ago I had only dreamed of being competitive at, and I've never been that downright shocked at how a car handled, accelerated, jumped, landed, and braked. Call me biased (I am, I admit) but if this car can make me as giddy as it has, imagine what it will do for you guys!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #412
Tech Elite

Your personal driving experiences with the car sound very promising.

And if the 8ight turns out to be the most competitive, durable machine that the 1/8th buggy world has seen, than it will continue where the Losi XX4 left off......great.

Losi have made interesting composite stuff in the past (was 'stiffizel' one of theirs?) so presumably they are confident that their material choice is superior to the competition. It will have to be.

However, I disagree that Losi can wade in and charge Kyosho prices for their first venture into 1/8th buggy racing - it would be a mistake. Sure, based on some good drives/results, certain racers may very well be prepared to spend anything to 'buy' the extra performance - there will always be cheque book racers in our sport. Most however, would not be so easily convinced - there are lots of proven, competitive buggies around these days at a good price. And as I recall, it somewhat contradicts some earlier statements made regarding the oversize tank/insert. If, as was suggested, the buggy is aimed at a wider market than just the 'cheque book racers', the price will need to be as competitive as the car.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #413
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The Kyosho has historically been the most expensive kit out there and it is also the most common car at most tracks (typically). The Mugen Prospec came out and sold like hotcakes for $700+, so many that you couldn't even find the regular MBX5 kits because nobody was interested in it.

Price will be no object. This kit could be released at $850 and they will sell through every one they make. Those of us that are interested in the car should be thankful that it is releasing for less than $600.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #414
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Even if the car was to be at the K car's price level you will still be saving a huge amount of money over a year's racing. Last time I replaced a K shock body it cost me 40 for 2. Thats rediculous.
But yes I am glad it is priced where it is.

I got to get my hands on one this last weekend to touch bounce around and drool over. Let me tell ya It is as cool as you have heard. I will be very confident racing mine everytime It hits the track.

TLR / Team Orion / Spektrum / AKA / TEKIN / Horizon Hobby / upgrade rc / AVID / SCH / SPY / HAL'S HOBBY WAREHOUSE
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #415

Back when I first found interest in 1/8 buggies, The Inferno was king. Then the MP-5 reigned supreme. Personally, I always liked what Mugen had to offer. The problem was getting parts. Since the Kyoshos were so popular, parts were usually in stock, though expensive. There weren't a lot of buggies in the game back then, but now K has finally been skooted to the side a bit and it's beautiful. There are are a variety of buggies on the local track: Jammin, Kyosho, TT, OFNA (non-Jammin) Sportwerks, GS, and Mugen fairly common now. I've had a Super Athlete, MP-5....took a big break...and a Hyper 7 which I just ditched to make room for the 8ight.

I'm giddy and have already paid for it. Why? It's new and it's Losi. By "new" I mean something outside of the cookie cut buggy, and the innovations seem as if they will show off on the track as much as they do on the bench. By "Losi" I mean a compnay proven to provide top notch kits. Parts will be readily available...and I'm sure they will be much cheaper than Kyosho and Mugen parts while maintaining top quality. I for one like the body. I only have two concerns, the SAE fastener (that's been beat'n to death), and the crowded looking chassis. I just wonder how easy it will be to work on. I guess I'll find out the hard way, because I plan on one hitting my door step the moment they are released.
gasrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:20 AM   #416
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Turbo Joe (and anyone else in the Southern California area) - If you see one of us at the track (easily spotted because of the Team Losi shirt...haha) come up and introduce yourself! I've always taken pride in being part of Team Losi's team because I feel we have the most professional and personable group of people in the industry. If the guy in the Team Losi shirt happens to be particularly goofy looking, wears glasses, and has spiky hair (or currently, a faux hawk), then you definitely need to come say hi.
Will you guys be out there this weekend?

I think I saw you there...I'll definitely hit you guys up if I see you there. I was the goofy-looking guy right in the middle of the track, turn-marshalling.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 AM   #417
Tech Regular

I got to see the buggy for the first time and was very happy to see a car that was very different in every way, just the evolution of things to come. It reminded me of my motorcycle, Buell XB12S, not like any other bike. 100% original.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #418
Tech Elite

Jake - Good post...but a BUELL?! Don't they use HD motors? That's a time-bomb...:-P

Nice to know you're an on-roader, even when it comes to motorcycles, hahaha.

Joe - I'm not sure when we'll be out there next..I'll try to let you know ahead of time. I can't say I really remember anyone from last Thursday, sorry!

gasrc - The whole tough-to-work-on thing was addressed as well as possible, as the car was designed to be held together with as few fasteners as was logical. I like your enthusiasm about the car, it's going to be a good one.

Horatio - I don't think Losi or Horizon will ever ask K-car prices for their kits or parts. The 8IGHT should have lots of bang-for-the-buck, as it looks to be very competitively priced compared to what is out there.

The plastic composite that will be used for the 8IGHT is new for Losi (as far as I know). It has proven to work very well for its applications in testing, however, and Losi's engineers (ESPECIALLY Jr.) are pretty strict when it comes to materials.

How badly I want one of these cars was only made MUCH worse by driving it. The buggy is incredible!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #419
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Lightbulb Promotional Tour

You guys should do a two man tour to promote the new buggy. I mean every couple of days in a different place to run on the area tracks. You could get the right info to the LHS owners and show the racers how it is done.
BTW - All of our preordered Eights are sold. Well....One is mine.

Aaron how about those parts list?

We need them. Had a guy in the shop yesterday saying he would buy one if we have parts when the kits are in.

Thanks,
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #420
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
......Horatio - I don't think Losi or Horizon will ever ask K-car prices for their kits or parts. The 8IGHT should have lots of bang-for-the-buck, as it looks to be very competitively priced compared to what is out there.

The plastic composite that will be used for the 8IGHT is new for Losi (as far as I know). It has proven to work very well for its applications in testing, however, and Losi's engineers (ESPECIALLY Jr.) are pretty strict when it comes to materials.

How badly I want one of these cars was only made MUCH worse by driving it. The buggy is incredible!
This is all good - thanks for the constructive info. I'm especially impressed that a new composite has been used for the 8ight to cope with the vigours of 1/8th scale racing.

When you've been in RC for a long time, it's not often that a car comes along that impresses you so much that you simply have to own one. It would appear that the Losi 8ight has truely won you over!!

I wonder when these Losi 8ights will hit the UK? Not too long I hope.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote