Losi 8ight Pics

Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Horatio
Hahaha - it's not often you have people volunteering to marshal, but it's a good plan if you get to see the 8ight close up! Nice one. Take a camera next time......!
Yeah, I was thinking that would have been nice. Most nights, I'm lucky if I remember my car.

Can you just picture me out there turn marshalling with a camera? it wasn't like they were really crashing much...LOL

I really liked marshalling that race. They (GASP!) PUT ON THE BRAKES WHEN YOU REACH FOR THE CAR! That and they actually make sure they're going straight before they get back on the gas...LOL...I can't tell you how many times I've seen (and done myself) one crash turn into two crashes.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The shocks do like they have a large volume - very LST-like!!

In the pictures, there are alot of moulded composite parts where you'ld normally expect to find alloy or WCF.

Hahaha - it's not often you have people volunteering to marshal, but it's a good plan if you get to see the 8ight close up! Nice one. Take a camera next time......!
it was a big drama on here about the plastic parts...they were only for the photo op...most likely...

jump in any time aaron w.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Regards the plastics (composites) no drama, only an observation from the limited number of pictures I have personally seen. Alot of 1/8th buggy guys will be incredibly skeptical about it - understandbly so.

I understand the prototype in the pictures may vary considerably from the version we finally get to see in the shops. The majority of us aren't fortunate enough to see Drake's own personal ride for design detail info but fortunately for us, at least some of you guys can fill us in on the up to the minute scoops!!

Even then, the version he drives may still be different to the production spec item we get to see. Losi's own website has only very sketchy info at this stage, so obviously it's a work in progress.

But it's certainly interesting.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

when will the drake 8ight be out...LOL...i figured somebody would ask...sooo...

but yeah there was a big discussion in here about the plastic parts...but in true losi form it will take home lots of trophies and be built to last...hopefully...just kidding...no really...

Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

all pictures you want
you can see the design already evolved..

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6.../Losi%208ight/
Old 05-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedy2
all pictures you want
you can see the design already evolved..

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6.../Losi%208ight/
Thanks for the great link!!

This shot shows the composite radio tray, front brace, rear brace, front upper plate. That's alot of composite stuff! Lots of aftermarket potential there too.... and unfortunately, lots of doubt potential also. Losi composite is pretty good, it has to be said, but even so, using moulded components in place of accurately machined/milled stuff is going to concern existing 1/8th buggy owners. But it probably won't concern XX4 owners considering their first 1/8th buggy in the slightest.

It also shows the angle of the centre front drive. It's more acute compared to most other buggies, granted, but well within the operational design limits of most CVD's. Someone needs to design a shaft that is CVD jointed at both ends, yet is still easy to remove for general maintenance. Very easily achieved. The layout of the radio plate is a bit of a compromise it seems, but the steering servo, whilst not laydown, is nicely central.

And of course there'll be a 'Drake' version too.....with magnesium, titanium and WCF.....
Old 05-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

"This shot shows the composite radio tray, front brace, rear brace, front upper plate. That's alot of composite stuff! Lots of aftermarket potential there too.... and unfortunately, lots of doubt potential also."

I don't see it that way. Aluminum does not improve any of those components. All of the fastest drivers use the stock ball end chassis braces on cars that have them available. In 1/8 scale stiffer is not desireable right now. It just amplifies the short comings of current technology. If aluminum were better then that's what Losi would've used. It is far cheaper to prototype parts out of aluminum than out of molded plastic.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

This shot shows the composite radio tray, front brace, rear brace, front upper plate. That's alot of composite stuff! Lots of aftermarket potential there too.... and unfortunately, lots of doubt potential also. Losi composite is pretty good, it has to be said, but even so, using moulded components in place of accurately machined/milled stuff is going to concern existing 1/8th buggy owners. But it probably won't concern XX4 owners considering their first 1/8th buggy in the slightest.
If chassis braces must be made of aluminum or a tie-rod style design, then why did Xray produce some out of composite for the XB8(which I know a few factory Xray drivers are using the plastic ones over the aluminum and ie-rod style braces and prefer them).
Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
If aluminum were better then that's what Losi would've used. It is far cheaper to prototype parts out of aluminum than out of molded plastic.
That's sorta true in one way, but it mis-states the case. There's an insignificantcost difference to prototype something out of plastic versus metal (basically material costs and feed rates).

There's a huge cost to set up to make plastic parts (mold costs), but the individual part cost is MUCH lower. There are no molds for producing CNC-machined parts, just relatively simple fixtures in most cases, but the unit cost (excluding the fixed costs of the molds or fixtures) is higher.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-20-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Well, prototypes I've seen have often had white nylon parts instead of the more usual composite stuff. I appreciate that injection moulding equipment, moulds and tool-up costs are considerable, but Turbo Joe explains it bang on.

Moulded stuff is obviously much cheaper to mass produce.

I also agree that moulded stuff does have advantages for certain components. It's lighter, flexes and is usually cheaper to produce.

For braces, I'd rather see properly machined alloy components. For the radio plate, I'm sorry, but WCF is sexier. Ditto for the front plate.

In Touring car, the 'trend' went towards moulded chassis, but has now gone back to WCF. Same for 1/10th off road to a certain extent. Looking at all the current 1/8th cars, the Losi uses alot of 'plastic'. I'm not saying it can't work, but I'd be suprised if all that moulded stuff will out perform tried and tested precision made components favoured by the competition in 1/8th buggies.

The revised weight distribution of this 8ight buggy is sure to offer some advantages, but I'm skeptical at this stage whether these advatages aren't offset by some of the compromises made to make it possible.

Chassis flex is a controversial subject and there are 2 schools of thought. One suggests that flex is a good thing, so long as it can be controlled within acceptable limits. The other school of thought is that the chassis should be as rigid as possible and that the suspension should be tuned to do the job it was designed to do. Regardless of which theory you subscribe to, on shaft driven cars, flex is going to have to be kept to a minimum anyway to avoid drive train related problems.

Other components I'd definitely prefer to see in alloy are the suspension pivot pin mounts and the centre diff mount. But maybe that's just me!!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

The shots of the 8ight with the body on look awesome. I like the car's symmetry - lush.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

what about the weight of fuel...when you setup a car...a gas car...you do it with a full tank of fuel...will affect the balance...but how much...

not picking on the losi...all buggies have the tank on one side where lots of nitro sedans have it in the center...but sedans have more under body room too...i think anyone that can change the layout and keep it under a buggy body is impressive...the losi sooks like it uses all the space available...

good stuff
Old 05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

it's only a prototype and will still change

I think some composite parts could come in carbon
or melded-in carbon
but I like it as it is, there is nothing wrong with plastics
if they are designed right and with taste
it's designed to be undone in 1 part loosening only 2 clips
the angled driveshaft is stated tobe more effective than the straight ones
for a still lower fueltank, one could design one with a edge going partly straight under the front driveshaft stretching it horizontaly
Old 05-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...ent=Eight8.jpg
Where have I seen that before?? Oh, that's right, I do that with my 4 stroke Revo tanks.

I've always wondered why no r/c car tanks have used a clunk before. It works much better than the TTR/Associated dual pickup system. The clunk flows much more freely, which minimizes the "leaning out as the tank gets emptied" effect.

I like this buggy more every time I see new pics of it.

Last edited by DP-buggyboy; 05-20-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

The inner hinge pins are supported by an aluminum brace, the plastic "braces" you see are just caps to capture the hinge pins rather than using e-clips. Just because a part is made from aluminum does not guaruntee that it's a "precision" part. Plastic parts are made just as well to spec as aluminum ones are. While not having the bling they serve an important function /aid in the car's handling as all of the r/c shocks out there on the market work well but they are "overworked" as a better design can't be made to work well or for durability or cost reasons for r/c cars to provide different compression/rebound rates and also the heat generated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.