R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #361
Tech Addict

Screw this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #362
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its comming..........
<>
... LOSI
Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #363
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson
i think the screw issue has been covered

WOW July...looks like Losi is turning 2 on this one...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #364
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild
i think the screw issue has been covered
ROFL!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #365
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
official release date was stated 31 july
backorders are welcomed already at most shops

Where was this "official" information sourced from? Horizon has it listed as a mid-August arrival, and Losi doesn't say anything about a release. July is a lot better than September, that's for sure.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

all shops taking backorders stated it
aaron Waldron also I think on the forums

31 july is august in fact
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #367
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:

Metric or standard?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #368
Tech Elite

Quote:
I've got a 'tool' that will screw anything..........
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #369
Tech Elite

Interesting concept. I'd often thought about ways that 1/8th buggy designers could move the engine and stuff closer to the centre line, without compromising the transmission (drive train) in some way. I figured that there would always be a trade off when centralising the engine, such that the centre driveshafts would either have to enter the gearboxes waaaay off centre, turn through extreme angles, or even incoporate additional rotating parts to solve the weight distribution problem.

If Losi have pulled this off, then it's a pretty clever bit of design. It seems they have gone for the 'waaaay off centre' centre driveline without sacrificing the suspension design. I'd like to see some pictures, especially those that concentrate mainly on the centre drive train. Losi don't seem to have any pictures yet.

I've read through most of the thread, trying to skip the dreaded 'screw' subject where possible!! Basically, if you're a hardcore RC racer and own British, Japenese and American cars, by now you'll own a proper tool kit that caters for all types of screws/fasteners. Personally, I prefer metric screws, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my AE/Losi machines.

The amount of plastic composite used on the 8ight is so apparent, it's almost worrying. And I dread to think how rival 1/8th racers would comment in the pits leading up to a race - new Losi 8ight owners would have to develop VERY thick skin!!

#insert images of mocking Mugen/Xray/Hobao owner's faces here#

None of it really matters of course, because the Buggy appears to be delivering the goods, so to speak, on the track. Maybe Losi got it right first time with the 8ight?

#insert images of smug losi 8eight owners here#

Guess only time will tell - I'll certainly be following the progress of this new machine with interest.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #370
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio

I've read through most of the thread, trying to skip the dreaded 'screw' subject where possible!! Basically, if you're a hardcore RC racer and own British, Japenese and American cars, by now you'll own a proper tool kit that caters for all types of screws/fasteners.
Yeah...god forbid you actually ask a tech question here on "RCTech.net". Much better to just sit here and do some keyboard fawning about how wonderful it's gonna be.

As was mentioned previously, the question wasn't just about tools.

I did get to see it in person last weekend...LOL...it was ripping...but I have a hunch that guy could smoke the class at most club races with a beat-up Hyper 7.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #371
Tech Elite

There's no harm in asking questions/discussing the pro's and con's of screws/tools, but personally I'd rather enter into thought provoking conversation than go over ground that's already been covered (read: flogged to death).

With this new machine, the design, drive-line and choice of materials used is eminently more interesting than Losi's choice of screws.

You make a valid point regards driver skill - older buggies do regularly beat newer designs at club level, largely due to the wide variation in driver abillity at most clubs. Losi are obviously going to want to put on a good show with this new machine, by demonstrating it's potential with decent drivers. The results so far have been at races with stiff competition, yet it's still won.

The design won't necessarily be to everyone's taste, but then again, neither was the AE 'plastic fantastic', yet it went on to become hugely successful over time.

I'm not entirely impressed with the aesthetics of this new Losi, but the concept and race results have grabbed my attention.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #372
Tech Elite

I didn't notice that it had a lot of plastic...what I noticed were the shocks. They looked like they were from an LST...LOL...not really, but they are big. The springs are very different than most 1/8th springs. Most have lots of coils, while the Losi springs look more like big TC springs.

I think I only saw him crash once...and that was when he had hit the brakes in the rhythm section to avoid a car that was flipped over. VERY smooth driver. The buggy looked very nice through the rough stuff. He was jumping halfway through the rhythm section and it stayed stable the rest of the way through.

I ran out there and turnmarshalled in the expert main just to see him and the buggy work up close.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #373
Tech Regular

Turbo joe you are talking about Adam Drake his is one of the best in the world. I was there at rev too.THe losi 8ight look good on the track i want a losi 8ight how about you turbo joe?
kahuna2793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #374
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I didn't notice that it had a lot of plastic...what I noticed were the shocks. They looked like they were from an LST...LOL...not really, but they are big. The springs are very different than most 1/8th springs. Most have lots of coils, while the Losi springs look more like big TC springs.

I think I only saw him crash once...and that was when he had hit the brakes in the rhythm section to avoid a car that was flipped over. VERY smooth driver. The buggy looked very nice through the rough stuff. He was jumping halfway through the rhythm section and it stayed stable the rest of the way through.

I ran out there and turnmarshalled in the expert main just to see him and the buggy work up close.
The shocks do like they have a large volume - very LST-like!!

In the pictures, there are alot of moulded composite parts where you'ld normally expect to find alloy or WCF.

Hahaha - it's not often you have people volunteering to marshal, but it's a good plan if you get to see the 8ight close up! Nice one. Take a camera next time......!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #375
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna2793
Turbo joe you are talking about Adam Drake his is one of the best in the world. I was there at rev too.THe losi 8ight look good on the track i want a losi 8ight how about you turbo joe?
Yeah...that's the guy. I was thinking "Hey, he has that same Trinty shirt I always see Kinwald wearing." I don't really know who all these guys are...just Kinwald and Ertrachter because they go to SoCal. I guess I know who one more "famous" RC guy is now. Very fast driver...he just ran away and kept going.

I just got into 1/8th...I really like my Mugen. Rev and Speedtech both stock parts and I hardly ever break anything. I don't mind running something different for sure...it just depends on how the parts situation goes and whether people start running them at Rev. Parts for the Mugen are pretty reasonable and everywhere around here. If I can only buy parts at "full pop" at Hobbytown or Pegasus...that's gonna be a problem.

I think it's gonna be wise to see what happens when it gets in the hands of a "regular Joe" like me. All is good when the "pros" run...when the "schmoes" get ahold of it, that's when the real testing begins. They should loan a dozen pre-production cars out to intermediate-level guys for a month. Then you wouldn't have all the "bugs" surfacing after it's released.

It sure does look cool, though.