Losi 8ight Pics

Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Haha

Having only had one non-SAE car in the last oh....7-8 years? I'm looking forward to an SAE buggy
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Dude, I totally know machine shop Ron. He's a cool dude, and he didn't even get mad at me when I slotted that part at an angle today....my bad.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Dude, I totally know machine shop Ron. He's a cool dude, and he didn't even get mad at me when I slotted that part at an angle today....my bad.
Yeah, he's a very nice guy...
Old 05-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Tighten up Fez tightenup sheesh
Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Rookie

i snapped a couple pics while at the farm
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight Pics-eight.jpg   Losi 8ight Pics-eight2.jpg  
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Car Action has some more pictures of the car from RCX too...looking forrward to watching people drool over it tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Glow ignighter in his pocket???

HA, Only if he uses a 'AAA' Style ignighter!!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

OH REALLY
Old 05-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow......
Old 05-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Haha

Having only had one non-SAE car in the last oh....7-8 years? I'm looking forward to an SAE buggy
Try buying something other than AE or Losi, you know the other 80% of the manufactuers out there, metric. Even Losi's Sisterbrand SportWerks is using Metric.

I just hope Tony's Screws makes us a real screw kit for it including real screws!

Reasons to prefer metric:
1. Common in all nitro 1/8th scale.
2. The pitch of a 3mm screw is more fine than a #2, #3, #4 screw so that means better holding power and less prone to strip. Thats true on all sizes, standard metic pitches will be more fine compared to similar diameter SAE options.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That's not really true...

"3mm" is a diameter. "#4" is a diameter. There are pitch numbers that follow those diameter numbers, 3X.08, 4-40, etc. The convention (or custom) in the R/C world is to just call it "3mm" or "4mm" and not mention the pitch, while for the SAE stuff, you say "4-40".

There are fine pitch SAE threads out there, but to be fair, generally you'd use a coarser pitch when threading a softer material. It's more accurately a diameter issue...a 3mm screw is larger than a #4 screw, so it holds better...

You could have SAE stuff that holds just as well, there's nothing wrong with it...but it doesn't make sense to me to use SAE (if only to prove some "anglo identity") when there are great fasteners out there that do the job already.

But what the heck...you could just buy one and convert it all to metric...I bet it will take approximately 2.6 seconds for a metric screw kit to come out...LOL
Old 05-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by binaryterror
Try buying something other than AE or Losi, you know the other 80% of the manufactuers out there, metric. Even Losi's Sisterbrand SportWerks is using Metric.

I just hope Tony's Screws makes us a real screw kit for it including real screws!

2. The pitch of a 3mm screw is more fine than a #2, #3, #4 screw so that means better holding power and less prone to strip. Thats true on all sizes, standard metic pitches will be more fine compared to similar diameter SAE options.

binary, stop talking shit about this car. You know you are not going to buy one, so why the hell would anyone take your suggestions, half assed at that, into perspective? I don't care that it is sae, along with all the people that are going to buy it, because they already have losi or associated, but you knew that right, because you seem to know the ins and outs of marketing to the general public. How about you tell Harley Davidson to start putting honda engines in their bikes because they are quieter, smoother, and will last longer.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have picture from RCX, pm me for it then I can email it to you
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

amd tp beat a dead horse...the finer it is the more leverage you have on it...therefore you are actually MORE prone to stripping in a softer material...and also...what does it matter if its metric or sae...everyone makes drivers in both...and you really cant tell a difference on how it handles, looks, or anything else for that matter...if its a problem with the current screws in a toolbox...get another one...thats what i did for my road car...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

I think that using SAE screws are better that Metric. My reason is that I could use 5-40 in place of 3mm, which is better since the 5-40 have a coarse thread.

Either way, I will buy the Buggy when it's out.

By the way, I live in a country where people don't know what is SAE syetem.

A.W

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.