R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #181
Tech Adept

i would think that it would be released at or around the time of the hobbyshow in chicago, october something...

if i were going to release a new buggy close to the end of summer i would consider releasing it at hobbyshow where it would be seen by the most people in the shortest time.
xxxtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #182
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to WildChild

this thing looks like a tamiya...the rear diff case and chassis brace look weak...ok...i know that hit a button...

what is the reason for a chassis brace...to stiffen the chassis...if it flexes...that could be good or bad...but if it flat out fails your out to lunch...chassis plates are big $$$...i dont share the same excitement...

dont get me wrong...i remember that losi and AE changed the face of r/c racing with the rc10 and the jrx series...but this...to me...just dont look losi...maybe it will work...losi usually does...best of luck...
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #183
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson
Obviously anyone that doubts that this will be the most dialed car ever knows nothing about Electric off road racing. Losi will not screw up an off road car. They pretty much invented what all off road cars are today, and probably just invented what all 1/8th scales will be tomorrow.

Whatever parts are on the car and whatever they are made of are what is best. They know better!! Seriously, think of the off-road talent that tested this thing and the off-road design backrounds of the people that made it. This thing will rule. End of story.

??? ford invented the first versions of the auto's but that dont make them "the best auto" just because they invented them...

i agree time will tell...this thing may take over...doubt it but it could happen...gil usually dont make junk...i must admit that i am a bit confused...LOSI's name on this thing???

as for me i will stay with my XRAY...alum shock towers are a must in the 1/8 world...when you get bumped in the air and land on the shock tower...and its not 7075 alum...thats when the turnmarshal looks at it for a few seconds then picks up the pieces and carrys it off the track...1/8 is hard on equipment...they have to be tough...and alum parts are not for "bling"...GOD i hate that term...alum towers and chassis braces save spur gears and chassis plates...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Dude the shock towers are going to be aluminum, try reading first...
Old 04-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #185
Tech Regular

hey aaron i agree that it would be nice to have a extra 2min of practice time. it will also be nice for every losi eight driver to have easily forgotten to put the plug in on club nite. and win there 20 min. main with one pit stop instead of three.

i don't know what the losi tank is, but if its larger than 125cc tank teching is going to have be happening at club races across the country.

the losi will be a great car and will make 1/8 huge in the u.s.a., but the fact is kyosho, mugen, ofna, x-ray, and gs these companies do know what they are doing, they know just as much as losi does about designing r/c race cars. and most of these companies test in more than one country while they are designing.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #186
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut
Dude the shock towers are going to be aluminum, try reading first...
DUDE...pix speak louder...why release pix with composite towers...

dont get your panties in a bunch...and you should have quoted the text that stated that they were gonna be alum...???
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #187
Tech Elite

Man....I can't wait for the car to be out already...so this will stop!

xxxtracer - The car has been shown at the Losi race in Florida, and it will be on display at the RCX show coming up in a few weeks in Anaheim. I think after that, it will be a matter of getting the molds finished and the kits put together, last I heard Losi is hoping to ship before October.

rocket42 - The head engineer of the 8IGHT project is not U.S.-born. You seem to think that the company has been short-sighted the whole time this car has been in the works, thinking they won't sell cars to anyone outside the continent? Their race team spans the globe, and they've been winning off-road and on-road races, and selling kits, all across the planet for a long time. Losi started with a clean slate to design something the other companies haven't yet...and if it works, it could change off-road racing as we know it. If it doesn't set the world on fire, you can bet it will at least be on pace with what the industry currently has to offer.

Fact is, a very small percentage of R/C cars ever see a race track. It doesn't matter how "race-oriented" the kit is, most of the cars sold in the U.S. and abroad are not to people who have RCTech accounts, have no desire to go to a race track, and certainly don't have any clue that there are national and world championships available for these cars. They will appreciate the hell out of an extra two minutes of run-time.

If your local track techs tanks for club races, that's great. I've seen cars at club races all over the place with enough fuel filters and fuel tubing to make your head spin, for one reason: more run-time. I can't remember ever running gas truck at a club race with a legal-capacity tank, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about someone going further than they did on a pit-stop either. It will be easier to tell a racer to put a plug into his tank to reduce the capacity, at the 2-3 important races a year that actually tech tanks, then it will be to explain to a hundred "backyard bashers" why their car only goes 6-7 minutes on a tank of fuel.

wildchild - The same Tamiya that is one of the world's largest R/C companies? The same Tamiya that set out to win a World Championship and made the rest of the touring car world look ridiculous twice in a row? Tamiya makes AWESOME cars.

The car will be aluminum where it needs to be. Kyosho just came out with new chassis braces to allow the car to flex more...why is flex a bad thing? I can assure you Losi will not sell this car if it destroys gears and you have to replace the chassis once a month.

I'm assuming you haven't gotten the chance to handle this car yet? Physically play with it, mush the shocks around as it sits on a table, spin the diffs, etc. (Unless you were in Florida, you haven't...LOL) Losi has been testing different running versions of this buggy, on real-life race tracks (the same ones we club race on, every weekend), and the car won't see production until it meets the specifications of people like Gil Losi Jr, Adam Drake, and Jukka Steenari.

The "big" R/C car companies don't sell crap anymore. Not Kyosho, not Mugen, not Associated, not OFNA...and not Losi.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:56 AM   #188
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
wildchild - The same Tamiya that is one of the world's largest R/C companies? The same Tamiya that set out to win a World Championship and made the rest of the touring car world look ridiculous twice in a row? Tamiya makes AWESOME cars.

The car will be aluminum where it needs to be. Kyosho just came out with new chassis braces to allow the car to flex more...why is flex a bad thing? I can assure you Losi will not sell this car if it destroys gears and you have to replace the chassis once a month.

I'm assuming you haven't gotten the chance to handle this car yet? Physically play with it, mush the shocks around as it sits on a table, spin the diffs, etc. (Unless you were in Florida, you haven't...LOL) Losi has been testing different running versions of this buggy, on real-life race tracks (the same ones we club race on, every weekend), and the car won't see production until it meets the specifications of people like Gil Losi Jr, Adam Drake, and Jukka Steenari.

The "big" R/C car companies don't sell crap anymore. Not Kyosho, not Mugen, not Associated, not OFNA...and not Losi.

no...the cheap side...the "WILD ONE" side pre 90's...tamiya makes much better cars than they used to...but the ones i have seen on the podium had some other that tamiya parts on it...shocks for one...where is tamiya outside of electric touring?

i agree with you...and i am guilty of it too...will be glad to see this thing come out and end all this...and i never said that flex was a bad thing...chassis flex is a big part of offroad and onroad...but if a chassis brace breaks or comes loose...be it alum or plastic or diamonds its BAD...plastic has a lesser chance of screws coming loose...there are lots that dont use threadlock...

soo many pairs of panties in a bunch...if you read my post with some common sense...you will see that Gil's not gonna put garbage on the shelf...Losi has a much richer heritage than that...just anxious to see what the production unit will look like and have and cost...if its fast and parts are available abd not gonna break the bank...there is a good chance that i will switch over...dont get tweeked cause im not "IN LOVE" with it...LOSI dont make the "best" in every catagory...it goes back and forth as the years tick by and "the best" is subject to what the magazines say and how the "pro" drivers do with it...why did yahama win the moto gp...rider...it was the only yahama in the top 10...7 honda's and 2 duc's...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #189
Tech Addict

ya know what...im out...some will say good riddens...whatever...why cant we just discuss what we think and not get tweeked...its just a hobby...RIGHT? i do it cause i like it...not because it looks cool or to get ladies...but this thread has too many emotional non rational members...

i hope to see another dimension in the 1/8th buggy world...faster should be every racers goal...as well as the company that makes it...

to beat a dead horse...

LOSI DONT MAKE JUNK!!!

LOSI IS A THREAT TO ANY OTHER BRAND...IN ALL CLASSES AND COMING SOON TO THE 1/8TH BUGGY SIDE!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 AM   #190
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild
but this thread has too many emotional non rational members...
Wow.... You might be right there.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 AM   #191
Tech Adept

oops, double post...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #192
Tech Elite

give it to them Aaron!

this thing will fly

Last edited by speedy2; 04-27-2006 at 12:18 PM.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #193
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking What I like.......

Someone at Losi understands what market penetration is. They are not scared to test the norm. A lot of these companies in 1/8th offroad couldn't design a car on their own. Losi could and do things that are outside of the known "box". If nothing else the design will have unique characteristics that just may give it that edge to shave seconds off your lap times. They have learned quite a bit with the LST II and their gas trucks. They will be ready.

Price point will be big. It seems OFNA has reset the bar on what is expected for your $$. The Jammin which is running well at the big races and is sub $600 for the Pro Kit that is pretty good out of the box. The Hyper 8 runs $420 and is definitly the car to catch in the "Bang for your Buck" department.
The Xray TQ is a pretty good deal when you look at all of the parts that they include as standard. I still contend their workmanship is second to none.

We'll see. I can't wait.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #194
Tech Adept

Quote:
Man....I can't wait for the car to be out already...so this will stop!
Tell them to hurry it up then. Not all of us can fly around the world to RCX (darn being in Cali only, talk about closed minded) or the the Losi race.

Quote:
Fact is, a very small percentage of R/C cars ever see a race track. It doesn't matter how "race-oriented" the kit is, most of the cars sold in the
You honestly think people run out buy a new 777 SP2 to just play in the yard? Why would they, there are many cheaper options and for just bashing the Kyosho will be just over priced. I agree most items are bought by non-racers, just not the top end race stuff. Thats like buying a Ferrari to only go get milk at the corner store.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #195
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

there are guys that do that thgouh, my dad owns a hobby shop, and some younger guys with lots of money (prolly drug dealers or what ever), they will go out and buy the kyosho or xray etc . . ., because thats what they see in the magazines, and they never go to the track, they just beat the snot out of it,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote