Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

Are there any 4WD sand-rail buggies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Are there any 4WD sand-rail buggies?

I really like the styling of my Arrma Raider. It looks like the way a buggy should look, to me -- narrow, with a heavily-reinforced "rollcage" style chassis instead of a wide flat chassis. I also liked the way the Vaterra Glamis Uno looked, for the same reasons. But both of those buggies are RWD, which limits their drivability in loose conditions -- I mean really loose, like sand or grass, as opposed to a clay track with a layer of dust on it.

Are there any sand-rail buggies with 4WD? I know space is at a premium in such narrow chassis, but that's not an insurmountable problem as far as I'm concerned. I know about the Kyosho Optima, but I already have one of those, and it's still kinda wide due to the transverse battery mounting.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

<>

Last edited by smirkracing; 11-01-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

You just need sand paddles. I used to take my old outlaw rampage pro to the beach with buggy paddles on it (the nitro stadium truck from the 90’s, not the retarded sht for sale now) - it ripped. Couldn’t even imagine what it would have been like if I had the option of proper size paddles like we have today.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Kyosho Javelin?
Khan48 and egalsim like this.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kyosho Ultima
Old 10-28-2021, 07:00 PM
elk
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Hobao Cage 1/8 buggy?

https://www.hobao-usa.com/product/hb-cbe-c100rg/
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Sand paddle tires work very well...on sand. Maybe okay on grass, I dunno. They don't do well on mixed terrain. That's the real advantage of 4WD -- I don't have to change tires every time I want to run on a different surface, which means I can drive on any surface I come across while I'm outside.

The Kyosho Javelin does look good, but I already have an Optima, so...I dunno. It's a little small too, and hanging the motor off the rear axle is a neat design but isn't the greatest for stability in when cornering hard. But it might end up being the only option that has 4WD with a properly narrow chassis.

I have a Losi Ten-SCBE already -- the predecessor to the Tenacity. It's a nice buggy, especially once I increased the suspension travel and removed the wing which was threatening to break the rollcage from all the hard impacts it was absorbing when the buggy would flip at high speed. But yes, as you say, it doesn't look like a sand rail buggy at all.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

You can just buy the body parts of the Javelin and fit them to your Optima AIUI. And then wallah, a cage buggy.

Or be a big boy and step up to the Hobao 1/8 Nitro cage buggy.....
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Old 10-30-2021, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Sand paddle tires work very well...on sand. Maybe okay on grass, I dunno. They don't do well on mixed terrain. That's the real advantage of 4WD -- I don't have to change tires every time I want to run on a different surface, which means I can drive on any surface I come across while I'm outside.

The Kyosho Javelin does look good, but I already have an Optima, so...I dunno. It's a little small too, and hanging the motor off the rear axle is a neat design but isn't the greatest for stability in when cornering hard. But it might end up being the only option that has 4WD with a properly narrow chassis.

I have a Losi Ten-SCBE already -- the predecessor to the Tenacity. It's a nice buggy, especially once I increased the suspension travel and removed the wing which was threatening to break the rollcage from all the hard impacts it was absorbing when the buggy would flip at high speed. But yes, as you say, it doesn't look like a sand rail buggy at all.

The proper tires for the proper terrain will get you far.

There is no tire that is good for every terrain. Especially sand, sand pretty much needs paddles.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

There is no sand near me. I refer to the "sand rail buggy" design because that's what it's called, but I drive all my RCs on a mix of dirt, grass, and pavement. For that terrain I get along pretty well with motocross-style tires like the Pro-Line Badlands. Unfortunately they don't make them in buggy sizes.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
You can just buy the body parts of the Javelin and fit them to your Optima AIUI. And then wallah, a cage buggy.

Or be a big boy and step up to the Hobao 1/8 Nitro cage buggy.....
Where is a good place to get them from?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Which one? The hobao or the Javelin body set? There's a link above for the hobao,

The javelin body set is available from a bunch of places, kyosho usa, amain, rc mart.... Although you'll also need the metal side pieces, that's harder to find....
Old 11-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

I really like the styling of my Arrma Raider. It looks like the way a buggy should look, to me -- narrow, with a heavily-reinforced "rollcage" style chassis instead of a wide flat chassis. I also liked the way the Vaterra Glamis Uno looked, for the same reasons.
I like the look too. First time I saw hobby-grade R/Cs running was back in the 80's when two guys were ripping a couple nitro caged buggies through the gravel at a drive-in theater while there was still daylight before the movies began. That really stuck with me and eventual got me into the hobby and wanting to own a HPI Baja 5B one day. I've since warmed-up to the current r/c race buggy styling as well as the looks of modern full size desert race buggies, but still appreciate that single-seater tube frame buggy style.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I really like the styling of my Arrma Raider. It looks like the way a buggy should look, to me -- narrow, with a heavily-reinforced "rollcage" style chassis instead of a wide flat chassis. I also liked the way the Vaterra Glamis Uno looked, for the same reasons. But both of those buggies are RWD, which limits their drivability in loose conditions -- I mean really loose, like sand or grass, as opposed to a clay track with a layer of dust on it.

Are there any sand-rail buggies with 4WD? I know space is at a premium in such narrow chassis, but that's not an insurmountable problem as far as I'm concerned. I know about the Kyosho Optima, but I already have one of those, and it's still kinda wide due to the transverse battery mounting.
Two vehicles come to mind for your request.

1. Losi Tenacity: 1/10, 4wd, sand rail style buggy, but still has a flat chassis

2. Axial Exo Terra: 1/10, 4wd, sand rail style buggy, not as durable as the Losi but cool design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.