R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Future of 1/8 E Buggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1088205-future-1-8-e-buggy.html)

Billy Kelly 08-09-2021 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Offroadrcracer (Post 15813077)
of course eventually the batteries are going to stop evolving but right now they just keep getting better and better

Have they really changed much in the the past 10 years? I know the 10 years before that was when the big move from brushed/nimh to lipo/brushless was.

EBuggy is on my list for next year to try. Right now it’s outside my range of travel

cornonthecob 08-09-2021 05:50 PM

I think it comes down to ebuggy simply being easier/less of a hassle. many people today do not want to deal with tuning the engine everytime u take it out or the maintenance that comes with having an engine. batteries are now to a point and have been for some time that u can have a decent length heat. the performance has also caught up to nitro so that isnt an issue either. the only thing I think that keeps nitro in the game is the ability to have these longer heats. the sound/smell is also a thing even if it may sound trivial.
the engine tuning does also put another variable into the mix too. u can have 2 of the exact same engine yet if one is not tuned properly it will not perform as good. this is not so much a concern with electric motors.

Furadi 08-09-2021 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by billdelong (Post 15812812)
Here in central Texas, eBuggy is far more popular for regular club racing, 37 electric buggy to 20 nitro buggy for a recent series race, nitro is hit and miss for regular club races and sometimes they don't even have enough entries to make a nitro class at all.

The bigger issue I see is that nitro isn't sustainable because they need an extra pit man which limits the number of classes people can run. I often help a friend to be his pit man, and that usually means I can only run 1 electric class instead of 2 classes just so I can pit for him... that hurts turnout for the program because that's fewer entries. Something needs to be figured out on how to reduce the number of pit men necessary to free up drivers to increase turnout. The way I see it, nitro is killing club level RC, doh!

Now the big races are a completely different story... when there's at least 10+ heats, then there's no problem getting enough folks to pit the nitros.

I kind of agree that nitro is killing club racing. As whole it's extremely frustrating. When you have so many people helping pit it leaves almost nobody for marshalling which leads to frustration all around.

Adam007 08-09-2021 07:51 PM

I came back into the hobby only afew months ago, I was a 1/10 onroad nitro racer ~12yrs ago.

When researching where the industry was, and what was new - honestly not much had changed/evolved in the nitro world, however the electric world was totally new.

As such I bought into 1/8 E-Buggy, and I can only see the class moving forward and evolving as the tech does.

rhodopsine 08-09-2021 08:14 PM

I started racing 8th scale e-buggy this summer. The fact that it was electric was a major deciding point.

Many years ago, I raced nitro TC. While the longer mains made things interesting, I just hated all the maintenance and cleaning required after each race day. Plus the constant fiddling with the engine tuning, I just decided that nitro wasn’t for me.

I wouldn’t have started racing 8th scale if it was nitro only. I don’t have to take half the car appart just for cleaning, just blowing the dust off and cleaning with a paintbrush. I can concentrate on chassis setup and hitting the track to improve my driving. Runtimes are decent at 10 minutes with a 5200 mAh battery, and with today’s chargers capable of charging rates up to 40 amps, with 2 battery packs you can pretty much just change battery and go back on the track non stop. From my point of view, e-buggy is the way of the future.

Martin Paradis

UK.hardcore 08-10-2021 08:00 AM

evolution on the cars, go to shorty only, different (better) layouts are possible, run something better then a open center diff.

dogbone418 08-10-2021 09:41 AM

In my region ebuggy is king. Nitro buggy is very sporadic and like a guy said above at the club level it's a bit frustrating. 5 show up and that's 10 people dedicated to each heat/main limiting marshalling. Totally agree with that. Etruggy is pretty popular too but it does seem like it's lighter this year. Could be the cost. I do prefer the ease of charging my packs and rolling. Plus the turnouts are bigger. I'd rather run with 30 competitive ebuggys finish 10th or 11th vs 6 nitro and say I made the A main.

billdelong 08-10-2021 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by dogbone418 (Post 15813372)
I'd rather run with 30 competitive ebuggys finish 10th or 11th vs 6 nitro and say I made the A main.

I'm the same way... on my race log I feel that the weighted score is more important than my finish position. It's more gratifying in seeing results of how many more people I can beat... so if you raced with 30 people and finished 10th then that would give a ranking of 30 - 10 + 1 = 21 but if you won the nitro main that might've only had 15 or so entries would be 15 - 1 + 1 = 15 which wouldn't be as rewarding based on my personal calculation for how I measure my gratification, ha!

RCRjuanabbe 08-10-2021 02:36 PM

for consideration:
Nitro:
Competion engine = $550+ including pipes and manifold, glow plug and associated parts. ie.. springs, gasket etc.. good for about 3 to 4 gallons of nitro 20% less life with 30%
extra servo = $150
Electric:
motor and esc = $350, $150 battery good for ?????? long while.
less maintenance = priceless

Juglenaut 08-10-2021 08:53 PM

When nitro takes over around at the local club season it does seems to detract a lot of electric only enthusiasts.

I do have a nitro 1:8 buggy but rarely run it.

rcgod 08-11-2021 07:44 AM

Battery technology will get better and longer runs will be possible. Even now we could probably run 15 or 20 minute mains. What will need to change is the electronics. A more efficient system will have to be run to combat heat issues. Higher voltage and lower kv motor.

UK.hardcore 08-11-2021 09:02 AM

When i ran 6S setup's i wasn't blown away by how cool things ran. we need a different design motor all together imo

76jimmy 08-11-2021 10:48 AM

From the sidelines

As someone who doesn't race 1/8 scale but I do bash the local track weekly. I see lots of people come and go at the track and what I've found is nitro is really good for the diehard dedicated racers. These are the guys that have skill good enough to finish a 10min heat without a marshall and have the technical ability to maintain and tune a internal combustion engine. The novice drivers really shouldn't start with a nitro buggy. I see it all the time people come to the track with thier brand x nitro rtr and they have zero laps in before problems start. I love the sound and smell of the nitro powered vehicles but I'll leave it to the pro's.

TurnNBurn 08-11-2021 10:53 AM

Since battery technology has been brought up often, the adoption of 3.8V cells as the standard will be a nice little bump in performance, but it may take a while, given that there are still a lot of 3.7 cell-based batteries on the market.

I guess once LiHV’s eventually take over and Standard LiPO product offerings get replaced, sanctioning bodies can update their rules to adopt their use fully charged. I’d hate for a bunch of people to feel like they have to buy all new batteries just to feel competitive.

Furadi 08-11-2021 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn (Post 15813691)
Since battery technology has been brought up often, the adoption of 3.8V cells as the standard will be a nice little bump in performance, but it may take a while, given that there are still a lot of 3.7 cell-based batteries on the market.

I guess once LiHV’s eventually take over and Standard LiPO product offerings get replaced, sanctioning bodies can update their rules to adopt their use fully charged. I’d hate for a bunch of people to feel like they have to buy all new batteries just to feel competitive.

So there actually isn't any difference between a lipo and a lihv. It's just marketing. Any high quality lipo can be overcharged to 4.35v per cell. It's been this way since lihv hit the market 6 or so years ago.