Like Tree9Likes

U4 Racing

Old 07-29-2021, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default U4 Racing

Apologies. I'm certain there's a thread or a forum here somewhere to discuss U4 Racing, but I can't find it. 'U4' is a tough term to search for :/

We have a new local track facility that's working on a U4 circuit, and really considering getting in to that kinda racing.
Big_Show likes this.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did a search for "U4RC site:rctech.net" on google and it pulled up some stuff, but no official discussion. Mostly race announcements in the Northwest racing forum.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

At this point U4 racing is kind of an afterthought for most. Many crawling events add a u4 event just for the fun of it and many people just use their crawlers to compete in it. Their really arn't any purpose built by manufactures kits availble for u4 racing. Bombers and bouncers are the most popular ones to use. The losi lasernut is probably the closest to ideal rig for U4. I would love to see this become more mainstream and become a thing. I have never competed in a u4 event I have only spectated. I race alot of offroad and do alot of comp style crawling so I would probably really enjoy U4.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Feel like I have blinders on cuz I'm pretty exclusive to stock buggy, so I can't really tell how popular U4 is. But, it looks like good fun. Turns and jumps like off-road buggy/SCT, but the variety of boulders and obstacles looks like a blast.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

We have been building a new U4 specific track here in town, and it will take some doing to build the group to drive. There are only a handful of platforms which will do reasonably well for U4, but I think newer drivers will be shocked as to the maintenance and parts replacement needed to keep them up and running. I run a Lasernut and I feel it's a very good platform. I believe larger clubs in Cali and in Washington State have classes which helps level the playing field.

Losi Lasernut

Old 08-02-2021, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Ya the lasernut is the best availble right now for sure. U4 is brutal by design its meant to seperate the men from the boys. I couldnt see doing it weekly it would cost way to much lol. You would need a new car every other month.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like they created the class before having a vehicle ready for it. Buggies and SCT's seem to put up with a lot of abuse. Maybe if TLR redesigned the Lasernut...
Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

U4RC varies considerably from course to course. Check out some of the videos on youtube and you will get an idea as to the terrain and obstacles. Some of the tracks in So Cal are very well groomed and smooth with a few rock sections, while ours are much more natural and rocky. I think the #1 reason for damage is from drivers misjudging speed or taking a bad line.

Here is a link to our first desert track. The new track is still in development. https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures...racetrack.html

I believe the sport is still too small for a company to build a dedicated premium car, so you will be limited to a few different RTR's or a something you build up yourself. Here is another link to my Lasernut review. This will also add a bit more info in for your consideration.

https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures...sernut-u4.html

My favorite style of racing is U4 because it's so challenging just to keep making good laps and times. Leads shift around quickly, giving just about anybody a chance at winning.

s
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Agree with all that. I like your write-ups!
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would love to see a tack like that around here. That's REAL off-road racing, right there! Non of this smooth high traction stuff they have now. Don't get me started on the carpet garbage.

(In a whiney voice) "But the smooth stuff still has jumps, so that makes it off road."

Well, the streets of San Francisco also has jumps, but it's still a street.
Big_Show likes this.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

LOL - I thought the same thing when our local track went from clay to carpet. But, had to pivot since they're the only track around. It is what it is, and my son loves that he doesn't have to tear his car apart once a month. It's fun. But I'm itching to try U4 when another local club opens their track.
Big_Show likes this.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've thought about approaching our local MTB trail spot about getting a track going. The simple fact is a U4 track doesn't require the maintenance a "fancy" off road track does. I figure anyone with a slash, revo or bomber could play on it. And I could incorporate a few off shoots for hill climbs and jumps.

A few years ago I had a axial yeti and a vatterra twin hammers. Really the only two examples of factory U4 trucks I can think of. Both needed a large amount of parts to stay together (the yeti ATE axle housings) and required quite a bit of maintenance to stay in decent shape.

That being said, U4 is my favorite form of 1:1 racing.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I hope U4 grows because I think it will bring out more of the “old school” builders and customizers. Like full scale U4, the cars are expected to take abuse well above and beyond what anything off the shelf can tolerate. In the beginning, this will make for a slow start. I think a custom chassis with 1/8 drivetrain would be the most cost effective way to race more often without breaking the bank.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

The hardest part is loading up the truck with tools and starting the first day of work on the track.

For our start, we found an empty desert lot tucked away in between some industrial buildings, and it had been sitting for a few years. There was a cool natural wash in the middle of the track, and a slight elevation slope which would elevate the drivers area. We stand in the beds of our truck and that gives us a great view of everything. We decided to roll the dice with it staying undeveloped, and started laying out the track. It took a few weekends of hard work, but it was so worth the effort. From that point on, we would start the mornings with 30 minutes or so of track work, then spray the track down to tamp down the loose dust, and then race around for a few hours.

This helped keep the balance between track work and driving fun, and within a few months the track was really something special. We ran it quite a bit for a year, then got the green light to build a new, much larger and more technical track at our local shooting club on a beautiful chuck of land that couldn't be used for the range, but was still inside the club and on the private property. So far we have about 4 months of hard work on it, and it's ready to be driven once temps drop for the Fall season. There has been some interest from new drivers, especially now that they can see the track and become involved. It's true with rock racing; built it and they will come. You really need a track to get things up and going.

Our tools have been all standard yard tools, two 60 gallon plastic water tanks that fit in the back of our truck, and a Ryobi electric water pump with a few 100' section of hose, and a wide water nozzle attachment. Maybe $400 in total for all materials, and this has now built two U4 tracks. If you have a location, it's absolutely doable.

s
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RynoRC
Apologies. I'm certain there's a thread or a forum here somewhere to discuss U4 Racing, but I can't find it. 'U4' is a tough term to search for :/

We have a new local track facility that's working on a U4 circuit, and really considering getting in to that kinda racing.
I built a DB48 and hunting a place to race. Please keep me updated on this U4 track. Do you have a link to the club?

I have had my DB48 out 9 or 10 times with my friends climbing ATV/SxS hill climbs, and so far I have not brought it home broke. Making hills Yeti's, Bombers, Ryfts, Rock rey's can not and break alot. Here is a link to my build thread DB48 . I have been trying to get my friends to go to a 1/8th out door offroad track so we can atleast race but they don't seem real interested. Have taken it to one hill climb timed event.

I do not like 1/8th racing because I can not related it to anything I do full scale. I raced quads and 2wd 1/10th relates. The DB48 relates to my SxS, so I am enjoying it.

Please keep me updated.
Steve B in Vega likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.