Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
8th Scale Setup Station >

8th Scale Setup Station

Like Tree5Likes

8th Scale Setup Station

Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 8th Scale Setup Station

I know some don't subscribe to setup stations for off road but I come from the on-road side so its a must! That being said I can't find one anywhere! Seem to be sold out everywhere!
Anyone know why?

Old 07-28-2021, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They are not used often in offroad. I have the hudy system and it works well its just not needed. I use it mainly for setting the front toe making sure my alignment is good. takes alot of time for not much benefit. Im guessing they just dont sell very many of them so they dont make very many.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:01 AM
Tech Rookie

That's exactly what I would use it for. What is the aternative? How else can you set the toe and camber?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trampsinger View Post
That's exactly what I would use it for. What is the aternative? How else can you set the toe and camber?

I have a piece of squared up lexan that is doubled up 1/4" so its 1/2" thick. I have a engraved line down the center of it that I use to line up the buggy with marks I put in the chassis to denote the centerline. I then can use my camber guage to get my desired effect of toe. I just butt it up to the edge of the lexan and adjust accordingly while the buggy is turned on and at ride height. Its quick and simple down and dirty and I get very close to the readings I get with my hudy setup system.

And then after you are on the track for a minute and cartwheel off the large double you should do it all over again lol, Or like most buggy owners just eyeball it and call it a day.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I just use a ride height gauge, camber gauge and set of digital calipers.

Camber gauge when pushing the car up against a flat object (a wall in your house is good) can then be used to adjust toe.

I don't see many people changing much other then ride height at the track.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Protractor, angle finder... square, book
Old 07-28-2021, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

The main things it seems I change at the track is front camber, droop. Mainly Tires
Old 07-28-2021, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KINGZJ View Post
I have a piece of squared up lexan that is doubled up 1/4" so its 1/2" thick. I have a engraved line down the center of it that I use to line up the buggy with marks I put in the chassis to denote the centerline. I then can use my camber guage to get my desired effect of toe. I just butt it up to the edge of the lexan and adjust accordingly while the buggy is turned on and at ride height. Its quick and simple down and dirty and I get very close to the readings I get with my hudy setup system.

And then after you are on the track for a minute and cartwheel off the large double you should do it all over again lol, Or like most buggy owners just eyeball it and call it a day.
Cartwheels are sometimes how I get over the table top. LOL
Old 07-30-2021, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

I use a Hudy setup system, and I'm meticulous about my setups. Not because I think it makes me any faster, but for 2 reasons;
1. I'm a bit of a gadget geek, I love tinkering and all that goes with it.
2. It's a great way to remove any excuses and focus on my poor driving skills.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
I use a Hudy setup system, and I'm meticulous about my setups. Not because I think it makes me any faster, but for 2 reasons;
1. I'm a bit of a gadget geek, I love tinkering and all that goes with it.
2. It's a great way to remove any excuses and focus on my poor driving skills.
I rather spend that money on a phat motor. Not because I am horrible at racing but because Horse Powa..
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

If you can find it (well, the err) let me know..
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
I rather spend that money on a phat motor. Not because I am horrible at racing but because Horse Powa..
You can always do both
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

For some reason the topic of setup stations is very polarizing. For me, I’m a fan of them and they’re not hard to use. I’m not breaking it out before every practice day, but it’s great for an initial setup or a reconfigure after changing link locations, roll center, etc.

My “eyeballed” camber was actually -5.5°, how is everyone so greet at eyeballing everything?
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My buggy/truggy are on the setup station after rebuilds and after major changes at the track. I can't believe how far off some of the eye-balled adjustments are with your standard camber tools.
phattracker likes this.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
My buggy/truggy are on the setup station after rebuilds and after major changes at the track. I can't believe how far off some of the eye-balled adjustments are with your standard camber tools.
Just to add to unbelievably far out, usually overlooked(or not bothered to care about) details.....Anyone else balance 1:8 offroad tires?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.