R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Cash-Money

i blew my co27 motor and broke a hub carrier...
im gonna race on road this week
Cash-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Hey Turbo Joe

Are you going to run 4X4's Wednesday???

Is that Track out in Riverside still going(out doors On-Road/Off-Road off the 60)??? Haven't been out there in years...

Have a Good One!!!

Brad

Hey Cash-Money

Sounds like a Bad Night for you... But for me that would be a Good night...hahaha

Have a Good One!!!

Brad
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

4wd is the only offroad electric I have...I can run brushless and Lipo and just have fun. You should get one, they're really fun to drive. The class at SoCal is great, everthing from "pros to schmoes".

There are a few fast guys, but for the most part, it's like Intermediate-level competition with more emphasis on survival that peak speed.

Oh yeah...if you're talking about Titus Hobbies...it closed last year. He races at ARC now.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #49
Tech Initiate

I know this is a noob question, but I have been out of the rc loop for a long time, and am going to start back up again probably at socal. I was just there last weekend checking it out and it looks like a good offroad track. In the novice truck class, are you allowed to run an ss4300 brushless motor?
zero74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero74
I know this is a noob question, but I have been out of the rc loop for a long time, and am going to start back up again probably at socal. I was just there last weekend checking it out and it looks like a good offroad track. In the novice truck class, are you allowed to run an ss4300 brushless motor?
Very generally speaking...no. I used to run there in novice and intermediate onroad and they let me run a 4300 with 5 cells for a while. When I started learning how to drive better, then it was all about the motor. Slim *might* let you do it in novice at first, but it's really a "thin ice" deal.

My advice: If you can drive halfway decent, get a 4wd and run 4wd mod...run whatever motor and battery you want (simple stuff, brushless and LiPo) and have fun. They're pretty easy to set up, easy to drive and very fast. Even when it's not handling great, it still handles better than a 2wd.

I have a 5800 with a Peak Lipo and I'm never lacking for power anywhere on the track. It's all driving...or lack of same.

You might just show up and try it...LOL...they won't turn you away the first time. The offroad side seems a little more laid-back...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was out at SOCAL today for practice and the NEW track was pretty sweet...Very loose and wet, but I imagine its going to be pretty nice when it all settles...Got some serious track time and feelin a little more comfortable back out there again...looking forward to next Monday for some more practice and MAYBE just MAYBE I'll be up to race on Wednesday night...Well see...
wannarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

Feel like describing the new layout????
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #53
Tech Adept

Still got the straightaway in the back, goes into a couple of sick looped doubles and an awesome triple that was worked down into nothing more than a mean double at the end of a long days worth of practice...the transitions were good, a lot better than before in my opinion, then again I really didnt run my truck on the last track (just saw it). Only thing missing are some banked turns which makes the track faster, but the layout IMO is cool...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #54
Tech Adept

My old MF2 body was thrashed yesterday at practice (half due to me being rusty on the track the other half due to some basher style racers). So if ALL goes well and a little bit of luck (my jury duty will be dismissed tomarrow and I'll promptly be on my way to SOCAL for more practice time)....To all the cool folks I met yesterday...I dont run the lime green and black body (I gave it to some kid yesterday at SOCAL) I have a newly painted orange and white FURY body now, so if you see me out there....WHATS UPPERZ!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #55
Tech Initiate

Can you run a lipo 4800 pack with a 27t motor in the novice or stock truck class? The consistant from lipo power over the course of a whole race seems hard to resist.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero74
Can you run a lipo 4800 pack with a 27t motor in the novice or stock truck class? The consistant from lipo power over the course of a whole race seems hard to resist.
I *hear* that LiPo is a no-go for anything but Mod...hence my advice for you to get a 4wd and go have fun.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #57
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I *hear* that LiPo is a no-go for anything but Mod...hence my advice for you to get a 4wd and go have fun.

4wd is getting more becoming attractive with every post. I just bought a used mf2 off ebay for $140 bucks, so i wanted to run that... But a 4wd would be a good sidekick for my jammin crt, plus it looks like the 4wd lipo brushless combo will be the "next big thing" in next year. I agree with your earlier comment, 4wd is much more easier to drive than 2wd. especially with a high powered motor. Boy I take a little 12 year break from rc racing and I come back with a whole new bunch of new stuff I have to get used too.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #58
Tech Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Very generally speaking...no. I used to run there in novice and intermediate onroad and they let me run a 4300 with 5 cells for a while. When I started learning how to drive better, then it was all about the motor. Slim *might* let you do it in novice at first, but it's really a "thin ice" deal.

My advice: If you can drive halfway decent, get a 4wd and run 4wd mod...run whatever motor and battery you want (simple stuff, brushless and LiPo) and have fun. They're pretty easy to set up, easy to drive and very fast. Even when it's not handling great, it still handles better than a 2wd.

I have a 5800 with a Peak Lipo and I'm never lacking for power anywhere on the track. It's all driving...or lack of same.

You might just show up and try it...LOL...they won't turn you away the first time. The offroad side seems a little more laid-back...
I think you'll be ok running that brushless system. It lacks drag brake, or min brake with that speedo. So you will be really fast down the straight but the brushed motor/speedo's will out break in corners. I know cuz I used to run it in my buggy back when I ran novice. Run it with the cut off limiter active, which will slow the motor down but it allows you to set up for corners better.

If you upgrade to a GTB speedo with both brake options Slim might bust you if you got your trucks suspension dialed. Either way have some fun....
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #59
Tech Elite

You can also take it back to Novak and swap it for an "SS+" which has drag brakes...that's what I just did. Works NIIIICE!

You know...like they say...it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. They won't turn you away the first time, but be prepared for some grumbling if you pass someone...LOL...BTDT.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Hey Turbo Joe

WOW, Slim lets you use Li-Po's for Races... Great!!!

What Li-Po's are you using, are they 2 cell(7.4 volts)or 3 cell(11.1 volts) and what Size(I've heard of 4800 being used)???

Have a Great One!!!

Brad
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote