Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By Cromulent

Protek fan pulses

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Protek fan pulses

Hi, I have a Protek fan in my B6.2 attached to an XR10 Pro running Protek batteries. I have the fan mounted with the fan mount provided in the kit. Most of the time the fan is pulsing slightly. Sometimes it slows down to a point where it almost turns off. Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deeerek07
Hi, I have a Protek fan in my B6.2 attached to an XR10 Pro running Protek batteries. I have the fan mounted with the fan mount provided in the kit. Most of the time the fan is pulsing slightly. Sometimes it slows down to a point where it almost turns off. Any thoughts?
It's caused by the magnetic field produced by the motor. To stop it, you have to move the fan to a different location. Some motors cause it and some don't.
Deeerek07 likes this.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
It's caused by the magnetic field produced by the motor. To stop it, you have to move the fan to a different location. Some motors cause it and some don't.
If its attached to the speed control, then the magnetic field from the motor isn't causing it. It could be a loose electrical connection in the plug, of it could just be a shitty fan. Now if it was a fan used to cool off the motor, I'd agree with the last comment.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
If its attached to the speed control, then the magnetic field from the motor isn't causing it. It could be a loose electrical connection in the plug, of it could just be a shitty fan. Now if it was a fan used to cool off the motor, I'd agree with the last comment.
I assumed wired to esc but not the esc fan itself and being used on the motor. If it is being used on the esc I agree with you.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I assumed wired to esc but not the esc fan itself and being used on the motor. If it is being used on the esc I agree with you.
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
The fan is connected to the receiver
Old 06-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The B6.2/3 fan mount is at the end bell side of the motor, no where near the strong part of the magnetic field. The vast majority of fans work fine there.

But its easy to test if the fan is being affected by it, un bolt it and move it away. But also move around the wires going into the fan, some times those have a bad connection
Old 06-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

The fan is connected to the receiver
And in the stock location. Unmount the fan and move it away to determine if the motor is causing the issue.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

And in the stock location. Unmount the fan and move it away to determine if the motor is causing the issue.
And in the stock location? What do you mean by that?
Old 06-04-2021, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

And in the stock location? What do you mean by that?
You used the factory fan mount. That's all I meant by it. There are other mount locations that can be used.

Generally, a battery is not going to be the cause of the issue as the fan draws so little current. Perhaps it could happen while you are racing, but you'd never see it because the car is on the track.

Sometimes, depending on the fan location and the motor in the car, the magnetic field from the motor can cause the fan to pulse several times per second. As you move the stator, it can sometimes change. To determine if that is the case, unmount your fan and move it away from your motor. If that is the cause, then you know. If it is still doing it, then I'd look at electrical connections and also try a new fan.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is an ongoing issue with me. I tried the same fan with a different esc. It helps a little. I swap from savox to another brand esc. It helps a little. Looks like the Esc or Rx is not sending enought current to power the motor fan? Just my thoughts
Old 06-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

This happened to Brett Bowen of A-Main during their Budget Racer series onYouTube with the B 6.1, IIRC - it turned out to be the magnetic field of the motor, so he had to readjust the position of the fan slightly. Confirm if the issue goes away by separating the fan from the motor a bit (as mentioned above), and review the A-Main channel on YouTube to see how Brett resolved the issue.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
This happened to Brett Bowen of A-Main during their Budget Racer series onYouTube with the B 6.1, IIRC - it turned out to be the magnetic field of the motor, so he had to readjust the position of the fan slightly. Confirm if the issue goes away by separating the fan from the motor a bit (as mentioned above), and review the A-Main channel on YouTube to see how Brett resolved the issue.
You used the factory fan mount. That's all I meant by it. There are other mount locations that can be used.

Generally, a battery is not going to be the cause of the issue as the fan draws so little current. Perhaps it could happen while you are racing, but you'd never see it because the car is on the track.

Sometimes, depending on the fan location and the motor in the car, the magnetic field from the motor can cause the fan to pulse several times per second. As you move the stator, it can sometimes change. To determine if that is the case, unmount your fan and move it away from your motor. If that is the cause, then you know. If it is still doing it, then I'd look at electrical connections and also try a new fan.
Alright, I'll try that. Will that cause issues with the motor? The motor doesn't overheat so if it is the magnetic field of the motor, I'll just leave it where it's at and ignore it, assuming it doesn't affect the performance of the motor
Old 06-04-2021, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

If it isn’t the motor causing an issue with the fan and you don’t think it’s getting enough power, cut the connector off the fan and solder it directly to the positive and negative posts on the esc. That’s how I run my fan.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Here's the video referenced:
It sounds exactly like OP's issue.
Silverbullet555 likes this.