Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Motor and ESC options for 1/8 Buggy. >

Motor and ESC options for 1/8 Buggy.

Like Tree1Likes

Motor and ESC options for 1/8 Buggy.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor and ESC options for 1/8 Buggy.

What are some good options for motor and ESC for 1/8 Buggy ? On Horizon only option is a Spektrum Motor. Any Suggestions would be greatly Appreciated
Old 05-18-2021, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

I run castle in 2 EB48 2.0's. Have been for about 3 years. Mamba X esc + 1512 1800kv motor. I'm more of a value focused consumer so I liked that the castle combo is about $100 cheaper than Tekin and abuot $40 cheaper than Hobbywing.

It also seems to be the only brand with full data-logging which is great for checking your gearing and general lipo health.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I've tried MANY brands of ESC/motor combos over the years and most have left me disappointed... not gonna make a long list of bagging on various brands, but I have settled on HobbyWing (HW) being the best brand to work for me.... not saying HW will last forever as all motors/ESC's will fail over time, but HW tends to last longer than any other brand I've owned and HW offers a deep discount on any broken products you send in with an RMA outside of warranty:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma

The latest generation of 1/8 electronics from HW are unmatched when it comes to efficiency/power ratio, hands down this is the best money can buy today IMO:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...32195292168307
Old 05-19-2021, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Agreed on Hobbywing, compared to some cheaper options like SkyRC they "just work". Tekin is nice too but the esc alone costs as much as a HW combo. I'm not in the US so there's no financial incentive to buy castle as it's on the same level, if not a bit more pricy than HW. Though I don't quite agree with HW's 10th scale pricing and lineup spacing.

Only thing that I don't like about the new HW ESC so far is that it doesn't really fit all that well into my S35-4e. If the reciever+switch cable came out on the longer side it would fit really well but right now I can choose between them always pressing against the receiver box or getting chewed up by the center driveshaft. Both suboptimal options.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Tekin's the best. Could use an updated case now that all of us no longer use fans.

Hobbywing SCT with a Fantom motor would be my second choice.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Tekin's the best. Could use an updated case now that all of us no longer use fans.
On that note, why? I've seen tons of people ditching their ESC fans and acting like it's the best thing they did the whole year but I can't really figure out why. I mean, sure, if it doesn't overheat without one there's technically no need for one. But I personally really like the peace of mind that, even if some variables change, I'm not going to run into thermal protection.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasaki161 View Post
Agreed on Hobbywing, compared to some cheaper options like SkyRC they "just work". Tekin is nice too but the esc alone costs as much as a HW combo. I'm not in the US so there's no financial incentive to buy castle as it's on the same level, if not a bit more pricy than HW. Though I don't quite agree with HW's 10th scale pricing and lineup spacing.

Only thing that I don't like about the new HW ESC so far is that it doesn't really fit all that well into my S35-4e. If the reciever+switch cable came out on the longer side it would fit really well but right now I can choose between them always pressing against the receiver box or getting chewed up by the center driveshaft. Both suboptimal options.
I don't understand why HW decided to shorten the switch and RX wires for the XR8 Pro. Better too long than too short. It worked out, but it could be better.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HobbyWing XR8 Pro and 1900kv (Gen3) combo. Smooth as butter.

Hobbywing has been super reliable and consistent for me for almost 3 years now, no issues.
rcgod likes this.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm a tight budget so I picked up a Hobbywing Quic Run WP-8BL150 that came out of a Redcat Kaiju on ebay for 70ish dolars.
I trust that OEM's pick decent ESC's to put into RTR models and I have had a QuicRun esc in my crawler for years. I think it's the cheapest programable ESC (with settings you would actually want to program like punch, drag brake, lipo cutoff voltage)

Old 06-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biggreen View Post
I'm a tight budget so I picked up a Hobbywing Quic Run WP-8BL150 that came out of a Redcat Kaiju on ebay for 70ish dolars.
I trust that OEM's pick decent ESC's to put into RTR models and I have had a QuicRun esc in my crawler for years. I think it's the cheapest programable ESC (with settings you would actually want to program like punch, drag brake, lipo cutoff voltage)
The newest version of that ESC has improved on resistance and is in the same price range for a new one.
The BEC is a tad low for some 1/8 servos at 3amps.

The esc has a motor size limit of a 4274 or smaller but not sure if its a typo in the manual. What motor you plan on coupling up to this esc.?
Old 06-04-2021, 11:08 PM
Tech Initiate

I picked up a 2nd hand turnigy track star 2100kv. It's a 4270. Their site says 140 max amps. Do you think the ESC will be able to work with this motor? I hope so because the redcat Kaiju came with a 2100kv too.

Last edited by biggreen; 06-05-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Castle

I bought my first mamba max motor/esc around 14 years ago and it still works. Just got a monster x and 2200kv 1515 motor/esc and it does not disappoint! First sensored combo for me as well, it just seems more refined and for the minimal price difference these days and it is worth it to me. The 1515 motor is not small, but stays cool and seems to power my eb48 2.0 without breaking a sweat.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TJeep56 View Post
I bought my first mamba max motor/esc around 14 years ago and it still works. Just got a monster x and 2200kv 1515 motor/esc and it does not disappoint! First sensored combo for me as well, it just seems more refined and for the minimal price difference these days and it is worth it to me. The 1515 motor is not small, but stays cool and seems to power my eb48 2.0 without breaking a sweat.
I have that motor in my truggy and it's a monster. I could see it being pretty fun in a buggy.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by biggreen View Post
I picked up a 2nd had turnigy track star 2100kv. It's a 4270. Their site says 140 max amps. Do you think the ESC will be able to work with this motor? I hope so because the redcat Kaiju came with a 2100kv too.
When changing a motor to something other than a match for the esc or combo set match, always observe temperature of the motor and esc, it is recommended. The esc in the Kaiju is rated for 150amp both V1 and V2, however in saying that I usually do not run any motor on any setup more than 80% current limit even if the motor can take it.. to me unlocking a motor and throwing even a bit a timing at it can damage it before it even heats up.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TJeep56 View Post
Castle has been getting raves of waves coming from the robot wars and battle bots.. Gens Ace made some ground pre-fecting their lipos.

On my current setup profile I am using a tekin 4038 gen2 actually for ballast weight \o/ on my 8ight e4.X.... well if its unlocked it just gets rather crazy beautiful and well its like the track isnít there and just wants to keep sending it over triples and quads, tables off into the parking lot !! even the entire sections or track lol and this is a 1/8 oversized track.. obviously the truggy motor work extremely well in a buggy Team Trinityís D8.5 motor is truggy classed so that is the other reason for accommodating the slightly larger, slightly heavier motor, and I could go Gen3 but with all the reductions in mass both on the chassis and rotational mass of the drive line center to rear was reduced enough to equal the motors mass and would have to put that back somewhere.

Also since I run a truggy weighted motor, the electric clutch became more important, running the 4030 didnít seem to need it at all so I run a clutch on a truggy motor in a buggy, odd I know but it works well I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.